Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
roguecraft101
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler Co., SHNF, Alazan Bayou

I shot a guys Z7X and a fellow TBHer's Heli and they both felt like an easier draw @ 70# than my Wrath @ 64#. They both made me want to switch to Mathews but I couldn't justify the money on it. If the Creed truely is smoother than the Heli then I may make the jump.

As far as numbers go bows have LONG been at an overkill for whitetail. I am more interested in an easy smooth draw then speed. My Wrath is faster and has an 8" brace height but it's a much tougher draw @ 70# from the odd angles you can get in a tree.
roguecraft101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #52
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County, Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter80 View Post
When you gonna be down there? Me and a friend are heading down there around 3 after we get out of class. Kinda funny we both hunt in Montague and use the same bow shop.
About 5ish. I'm curious like everyone else
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #53
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Was a diehard "mathews" fan( ya fan boy) until the waffle riser and some "warrenty "Issues. Dont buy them because of a good warrenty,because it may not be.I will shoot my reezen 6.5 until it dyes then hopefully I will be trad only.Good luck with your new bows.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #54
MedicBowChick
Four Point

Hunt In: Limestone,Hill,Coryell

Quote:
Originally Posted by glpoe1 View Post
I am still comparing my DXT with the other single cam bows and specs. just don't beat it by a large enough margin. It will all come down to feel and shootablility. Personally I like the looks of the Creed and the little double cam Monster Chill. It is just down to shooting them now and seeing how they feel in the hand. I do like the looks of the two new ones but not so much the ZXT.

Agreed. I have a DXT and love it. Matter of fact I ran I to a guy the other day in the now shop that told me not to ever give that bow up. He said people come in looking for it all the time. Until Matthews comes out with something AMAZING I will not be giving up my DXT!!
MedicBowChick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
RACK
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas,Midwest,High Country

Personally im let down !! Been looking to upgrade my 29-70 DXT and I passed on the heli-m in anticpation of the re-inventing the wheel campaign for 2013. I'm not sure about the looks just yet on the creed, and i was expecting some 340 bare naked speeds, Im hoping i may like the Monstor chill better when i shoot it , and see it in person ,. Its gonna take a really good one to take my Matthews DXT out of my hand i guess. There is zero speed increase and surprisingly increased wieght with the creed. The DXT shoots 326 and has been a phenominaly great shooter and proven hunter !
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #56
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACK MASTER View Post
Personally im let down !! Been looking to upgrade my 29-70 DXT and I passed on the heli-m in anticpation of the re-inventing the wheel campaign for 2013. I'm not sure about the looks just yet on the creed, and i was expecting some 340 bare naked speeds, Im hoping i may like the Monstor chill better when i shoot it , and see it in person ,. Its gonna take a really good one to take my Matthews DXT out of my hand i guess. There is zero speed increase and surprisingly increased wieght with the creed. The DXT shoots 326 and has been a phenominaly great shooter and proven hunter !
The DXT was to Mathews what the Alphamax was to Hoyt. Both were great bows for their respective companies and they sold a ton of them. People like smooth, guess we'll see how smooth the new ones are tomorrow afternoon. The more I look at the Creed the more I like the way it looks. It kinda grows on you.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #57
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

I want to shoot both the Chill and the Creed. I might have to look into a smoother bow after shooting DoublePlay's Z7 some last weekend. That thing was nice.

I do have to wonder what the next major advancement will be. I didn't see anything exceptional here either.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #58
roguecraft101
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Kade View Post
The DXT was to Mathews what the Alphamax was to Hoyt. Both were great bows for their respective companies and they sold a ton of them. People like smooth, guess we'll see how smooth the new ones are tomorrow afternoon. The more I look at the Creed the more I like the way it looks. It kinda grows on you.
Aint that the truth. I keep thinking MAN if this thing really is that much smoother than the HeliM I may have to fork the cash. Spoke to the guys over at West Houston Archery and asked them about it. Basically its on par with the Heli over all as a bow but they have different things going for them. HeliM is faster and lighter but the new bow is smoother. He told me it will come down to what each person prefers. ZXT has been confirmed to be basically a Z7X with some improvements and a lower price.. which to me sounds GREAT because I always had a thing for that shorter ATA and the look of the Z7E. Looks like I will have some tough decisions this year. =P
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #59
B&C
Four Point

This isn't the 1st time they've tamed down the bow for a smoother, friendlier shooting experience. I've been a long time, multiple mathews shooter and defected to Bowtech for a very short time (less than a year!). The z7 brought me back and I can't justify getting another bow.

The industry needs another breakthrough because everyone is running out of gas with the current technologies.

I thought the waffle stuff was ugly as well but I liked it in person and especially after the bow was setup for hunting.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
bbuck8
Eight Point

Hunt In: webb county, austin county and midwest us.
Default Dxt

Quote:
Personally im let down !! Been looking to upgrade my 29-70 DXT and I passed on the heli-m in anticpation of the re-inventing the wheel campaign for 2013. I'm not sure about the looks just yet on the creed, and i was expecting some 340 bare naked speeds, Im hoping i may like the Monstor chill better when i shoot it , and see it in person ,. Its gonna take a really good one to take my Matthews DXT out of my hand i guess
Agreed X2. My dxt is still shooting so sweet and accurate that I just can't justify. .......yet!!
bbuck8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #61
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

It looks like the Creed and the Chill are both crosses between a Monster and a HeliM. The Creed is closer to a HeliM, and the Chill is closer to a Monster.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #62
x1jett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Graham, TX

I'm a Mathews guy, I'm not really impressed with the new bows. Not sure I understand the value proposition.
I'm happy to keep shooting my M7.
x1jett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #63
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Taylor County

I think that Creed will more than likely be a heck of a bow. I'm curious to try it out and see what the draw cycle is like. I bet its smooth like butter since they kind of lost some speed. I really like the waffle design on the mathews bows. Looks mean.
Texas Stalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #64
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Like a lot of folks on here, I've been considering getting a new Mathews - by selling off my old SwitchbackXT and possibly my Reezen. I shoot my DXT almost exclusively and was hoping for, basically, some hugely upgraded DXT. On the face of the specs, I was let down. BUT... I felt the same about the HeliM until I shot it last month at a friend's shop. Looking at the numbers I couldn't see the improvement in the draw cycle and the 'hard wall" at the back of the draw - it was a significant improvement (to the DXT) that had to be EXPERIENCED. I almost pulled the trigger that day but I had to get back to the ranch and didn't have time; plus, I knew the new line was coming out and decided to wait and see what they came up with.

I'm going to make the 3 hour drive to shoot the Creed and the HeliM tomorrow - to see what I think and how they shoot FOR ME.

I know this concept is lost of the "speed freaks" that require a bigger and bigger "fix" every year, but speed isn't everything. I've got a bunch of buddies in Utah and Idaho that are consistently killing mule deer at 100+ yards with DXTs. It's really about the total package and how it suits your shooting style - not just one feature, like speed. A pass-through is a pass-through is a pass-through. Whether I blow through a deer at 285fps or at 340fps, if I hit the right spot the deer is going down. The only REAL advantage (that I can see) to speed is that the faster the bow, the more you can be 'off' in your estimation of the distance to an animal. I own a rangefinder.

The feature that most interests me is the stop on the cam of the HeliM and the Creed which makes them easier to shoot accurately - especially in a hunting situation. If you shoot a DXT you know you can pull back and make that string creep. If you do, you will not hit the same spot; and it's sure easy to do on a cold morning after 3 hours in a tree with layers and a heavy jacket on.

From what I hear, the Creed is even smoother to draw than the HeliM. That, by itself isn't a 'deal-maker' but added to the draw stop, it definitely makes me want to shoot it.

I wish they could mask a bow so that I could shoot several unknown bows and make the choice based entirely on feel and performance, without ANY preconceptions that we ALL carry into the bow shop, based on our research and what we've heard.

I think that technology is, basically, maxed-out and that expecting something that's "revolutionary" is unrealistic - until some new materials are invented/utilized. I look at it like rifles - the improvements in the actual rifle building technology are very small, if any. The real improvements are coming from the ammunitions manufacturers and, to a lesser degree, the scope companies. We have a tendency, IMO, to look to the bow companies for all these massive improvements but I don't hear much about any "revolutionary" improvements from the arrow or broadhead manufacturers - they simply re-tweak what we've been shooting for years. Just sayin.
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #65
reneerobbyward
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Johntown (Bogata), Red River County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
Like a lot of folks on here, I've been considering getting a new Mathews - by selling off my old SwitchbackXT and possibly my Reezen. I shoot my DXT almost exclusively and was hoping for, basically, some hugely upgraded DXT. On the face of the specs, I was let down. BUT... I felt the same about the HeliM until I shot it last month at a friend's shop. Looking at the numbers I couldn't see the improvement in the draw cycle and the 'hard wall" at the back of the draw - it was a significant improvement (to the DXT) that had to be EXPERIENCED. I almost pulled the trigger that day but I had to get back to the ranch and didn't have time; plus, I knew the new line was coming out and decided to wait and see what they came up with.

I'm going to make the 3 hour drive to shoot the Creed and the HeliM tomorrow - to see what I think and how they shoot FOR ME.

I know this concept is lost of the "speed freaks" that require a bigger and bigger "fix" every year, but speed isn't everything. I've got a bunch of buddies in Utah and Idaho that are consistently killing mule deer at 100+ yards with DXTs. It's really about the total package and how it suits your shooting style - not just one feature, like speed. A pass-through is a pass-through is a pass-through. Whether I blow through a deer at 285fps or at 340fps, if I hit the right spot the deer is going down. The only REAL advantage (that I can see) to speed is that the faster the bow, the more you can be 'off' in your estimation of the distance to an animal. I own a rangefinder.

The feature that most interests me is the stop on the cam of the HeliM and the Creed which makes them easier to shoot accurately - especially in a hunting situation. If you shoot a DXT you know you can pull back and make that string creep. If you do, you will not hit the same spot; and it's sure easy to do on a cold morning after 3 hours in a tree with layers and a heavy jacket on.

From what I hear, the Creed is even smoother to draw than the HeliM. That, by itself isn't a 'deal-maker' but added to the draw stop, it definitely makes me want to shoot it.

I wish they could mask a bow so that I could shoot several unknown bows and make the choice based entirely on feel and performance, without ANY preconceptions that we ALL carry into the bow shop, based on our research and what we've heard.

I think that technology is, basically, maxed-out and that expecting something that's "revolutionary" is unrealistic - until some new materials are invented/utilized. I look at it like rifles - the improvements in the actual rifle building technology are very small, if any. The real improvements are coming from the ammunitions manufacturers and, to a lesser degree, the scope companies. We have a tendency, IMO, to look to the bow companies for all these massive improvements but I don't hear much about any "revolutionary" improvements from the arrow or broadhead manufacturers - they simply re-tweak what we've been shooting for years. Just sayin.
Very well put!! I couldn't agree more
reneerobbyward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #66
ExtremeHunter80
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise, Montague, and Uvalde Counties

Quote:
About 5ish. I'm curious like everyone else
Maybe we'll see each other down there. I plan on shooting my z7x next to all three (if they get all 3 in) and comparing all of them to it for awhile.
ExtremeHunter80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #67
randal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell county/Fort hood/Paducah

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyreneeward View Post
I'm pretty sure that P&Y rule of 30"refers to the distance between the end of the 2 cams or the cam/idler, NOT ATA. I wouldn't think Mathews would distribute a bow that would violate P&Y criteria.
P&Y I'm pretty sure requires let off to be 65% or lower.. And on the creed and I'm sure some of the other ones they don't even offer it if you look at the specs.. I may be wrong about the 65 and under but don't think so..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #68
PCFM
Eight Point

Hunt In: The world

Speed is fine but accuracy is final.. Not really all caught up in the super sonic speeds, I have killed deer and other with a 180 fps recurve and a 150 fps long bow. They all died just as well as the 335 fps crossbow i shoot , and the 285 fps PSE bow I shoot, and all were just as dead as the deer I have shot with all the mathews bows I have owned and still own.

Get a bow that you want and like, use a good heavy arrow and broad head and put it behind the shoulder. The heavy arrow will push the broad head completely through the animal and it will then be nothing but work.. Speed does not matter its penetration. and broad head performance. Now if you can push a 700 grain arrow at 350 fps you are talking about a real killer bow.. And if anyone can make the bow that will do this I want to invest please..
PCFM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #69
Putemdown
Eight Point

Hunt In: The Big Country

I shot the Chill and the Creed both last night. I did not chrono either. I dont know about forgiveness I was shooting at 7 yards with no sights. They both were quiet. Both felt good in my hand. IMO the Creed was a little smoother draw. But there was something about the Chill I liked better the look in black with blue and those massive cams. I think it is the same cams on the 2013 Mission Ballistic. He had the ZXT but I did not shoot it. I curently shoot a Z7X and I believe its the same bow with lighter roller arm. All 3 very nice quality bows. Great Job Mathews.
Putemdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #70
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Maybe we'll see each other down there. I plan on shooting my z7x next to all three (if they get all 3 in) and comparing all of them to it for awhile.
Ok what are you driving? I'll be in a black Nissan Frontier. Let's put em through the chrono there.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #71
Spoken0313
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
P&Y I'm pretty sure requires let off to be 65% or lower.. And on the creed and I'm sure some of the other ones they don't even offer it if you look at the specs.. I may be wrong about the 65 and under but don't think so..
I think they put an asterisk next to your name if the let off is greater than 65%.
its pretty hard to get a new bow these days that doesn't have 75 +% let off
Spoken0313 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #72
RACK
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas,Midwest,High Country

Just got back from shooting both the Creed, and the Chill . This is my report...

Creed... 28-70 w apex sight 450 grain FMJ hunting shafts ..chrono'd at 306

The bow was indeed beyond super smooth to draw , no problem slowly drawing to anchor without moving the sight from the target ... 1 1/2 group at 20 , with someone else's sight dialed in. Pritty quiet , balls on accurate and fast ! The bow looks much better in person . Very good looks in fact !

Monster Chill
same arrows chrono'd 310 The bow itself is good looking and smaller than the original monstor. The cams are huge ...i mean HUGE ! it was not nearly as smooth as the creed , and a little more awkward to keep at full draw than the heli and the creed. The chill shoots very nice all and all but for hunting i am def. gonna go with the creed over both the heli and chill. I really did notice a difference in drawing the Creed over my current DXT ! I think the Chill is an excellent little grind blind bow , which will be devasting to Longbeard Toms this coming spring. All and all i give them both a big thumbs up and 2 thumbs up on the Creed ! The split limbs are a bonus feature in my opionion just because of the look it portrays. Nice job Matthews

Last edited by RACK; 11-06-2012 at 12:21 PM..
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #73
roguecraft101
Ten Point

Quote:
Maybe as someone else has said Mathews built these bows to hold closer to their IBO than previous years. Second time I have heard numbers around these with heavier arrows and shorter draw's.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #74
trjones87
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Junction

the creed and chill are $999 TYD on archerytalk
trjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #75
bphillips
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguecraft101 View Post
Maybe as someone else has said Mathews built these bows to hold closer to their IBO than previous years. Second time I have heard numbers around these with heavier arrows and shorter draw's.
Maybe so.. I wasn't consdidering them after seeing the specs but if they keep shooting 350+ with a 7"BH I may have to run up and shoot them.

Last edited by bphillips; 11-06-2012 at 02:03 PM..
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #76
ddavis_1313
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguecraft101 View Post
X2
ddavis_1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #77
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Sounds nice but ill stick with my bow tech
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #78
Putemdown
Eight Point

Hunt In: The Big Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Sounds nice but ill stick with my bow tech
Bow tech is that someone who always works on bows? Or is that a brand? Never seen one out here in West Texas Bet there nice.
Putemdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #79
rlk123
Six Point

Hunt In: Eastland, Mexico

Quote:
IBO of 356???
rlk123 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #80
bdog14
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjones87 View Post
Who hasn't(maxed out their technology)?
Exactly...I never shoulda upgraded from my 2004 Bowtech Liberty, quiet, smooth and fast
bdog14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #81
jathomas437
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
I dont know what to do , i need new servings and string on my DXT, my g5 sight optics are getting dim , prolly would replace the site with something new, the creed isnt really gaining me any speed , and it for dang sure got heavier .....so i am really going to have to wiegh out wether or not to put some upgrades and money into the DXT and go another season, or go with the creed or Heli and sell my DXT. Which has always been a phenominal shooter, and proven hunter.
I had the DXT for 3 years, great little bow... traded it in for the Z7Extreme. It was a nice upgrade. This would be my advice to you if you wanted any opinions to help you decide. I'm not impressed with the new bows out for 2013.
jathomas437 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #82
ExtremeHunter80
Ten Point

Quote:
Just got back from shooting both the Creed, and the Chill . This is my report...

The bow was indeed beyond super smooth to draw , no problem slowly drawing to anchor without moving the sight from the target ... 1 1/2 group at 20 , with someone else's sight dialed in. Pritty quiet , balls on accurate and fast ! The bow looks much better in person . Very good looks in fact !

Monster Chill
same arrows chrono'd 310 The bow itself is good looking and smaller than the original monstor. The cams are huge ...i mean HUGE ! it was not nearly as smooth as the creed , and a little more awkward to keep at full draw than the heli and the creed. The chill shoots very nice all and all but for hunting i am def. gonna go with the creed over both the heli and chill. I really did notice a difference in drawing the Creed over my current DXT ! I think the Chill is an excellent little grind blind bow , which will be devasting to Longbeard Toms this coming spring. All and all i give them both a big thumbs up and 2 thumbs up on the Creed ! The split limbs are a bonus feature in my opionion just because of the look it portrays. Nice job Matthews
Hmmm... We chrono'd both at Smithfield with a 415 grain arrow and both the chill and creed shot 265, at the same draw and poundage. I felt a little hump in the draw of the chill which was the only thing I had a problem with (prolly because I am used to the solocam). I did shoot amazing with the chill though, I do agree with it being a good ground blind bow, but not really anything worth taking to a tree. The chill had a smooth draw and super amazing back wall. The release was what I found amazing, it had almost 0 vibration and was as quiet as can be. I shot the chill side by side with my z7x, and even though the release was amazing along with the back wall compared to the z7x, I felt like my bow was an easier smoother draw still (I blame this on the super big cam on the creed.) where 70 lbs felt like 70 on the creed, it feels more like 60 on my bow. I shot my own personal arrows thru both bows, and both chrono'd at 265 like I said, where my z7x shoots 277. If I buy anything, it's gonna be the zxt, since it's exactly the same as the z7x with a slightly shorter brace height.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #83
ExtremeHunter80
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok what are you driving? I'll be in a black Nissan Frontier. Let's put em through the chrono there.
Hey man, it was nice to meet you. Hope I was helpful with you making a decision.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #84
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey man, it was nice to meet you. Hope I was helpful with you making a decision.
Did you have the HeliM or the Z7X?

It was nice to meet you too. Did you post your opinions in my review yet?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #85
ExtremeHunter80
Ten Point

Quote:
Did you have the HeliM or the Z7X?

It was nice to meet you too. Did you post your opinions in my review yet?
Ya I did. I posted one on here as well just a few post ups. And it was the z7x