Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any luck this weekend? How's the late rains affecting the browse? Everything still green? I won't make it out until mid-November, but should be timing it just about right.

Comment

Green, yes. Looks like spring time.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
        Any luck this weekend? How's the late rains affecting the browse? Everything still green? I won't make it out until mid-November, but should be timing it just about right.
        Hey man good to back in for this year!! My dad and his buddies got back today from Lakeview! Wet and nasty!! Green as ever!! And game is abundant they said!! Said they saw lots of Mulie’s, lots of whitetails, and lots of quail(which is why they lease this place I just get the benefit of of deer huntin it!!)!! 1 covey they said we’re about 2-2 1/2 inches tall!! Should b big deer but may be hard to see and find bc of food choices..

Comment

Originally posted by Bretto22 View Post
          Hey man good to back in for this year!! My dad and his buddies got back today from Lakeview! Wet and nasty!! Green as ever!! And game is abundant they said!! Said they saw lots of Mulie’s, lots of whitetails, and lots of quail(which is why they lease this place I just get the benefit of of deer huntin it!!)!! 1 covey they said we’re about 2-2 1/2 inches tall!! Should b big deer but may be hard to see and find bc of food choices..
          Great to see you check in Bretto and thanks for the update! I've got a guy that's been trying to get out and shred my trails for weeks now and the moisture has kept him off. Sounds like the rain has also enabled lots of 2nd coveys too.

If you're going to be around the last half of November, shoot me a note and maybe we could link up for a bite or something. Outside of spending a couple days in Kansas and hosting one of my buddies fresh from Kuwait for one of the weekends, I should be around.

Comment

We finally got our bow blind set up yesterday. Our radishes are coming along good and surprisingly the milo shot off another head on each stock and is filling up with grain. Maybe I can get in the blind this week or on the weekend.

Top of Texas, when do the deer start on the radishes? I noticed nothing is touching the leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
              We finally got our bow blind set up yesterday. Our radishes are coming along good and surprisingly the milo shot off another head on each stock and is filling up with grain. Maybe I can get in the blind this week or on the weekend.

Top of Texas, when do the deer start on the radishes? I noticed nothing is touching the leaves.

That looks excellent. Farmers I worked for as a kid called second Milo heads "sucker heads", because only a sucker would try to harvest them.

I don't have any experience with radishes. I would assume If companies are putting them in food plot mixes that surely they investigated deer consumption before selling it to people. If this is the first year you planted them, there's always a learning curve involved. Plus, you've got strong competition with native forage right now. That is, If you had a steak house just around the corner, why drive across town through a rough, dangerous neighborhood for a cheeseburger.

Put a small enclosure, t-post with a small hoop of net-wire, out in the field so you can compare how plants are growing relative to deer use.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                That looks excellent. Farmers I worked for as a kid called second Milo heads "sucker heads", because only a sucker would try to harvest them.

I don't have any experience with radishes. I would assume If companies are putting them in food plot mixes that surely they investigated deer consumption before selling it to people. If this is the first year you planted them, there's always a learning curve involved. Plus, you've got strong competition with native forage right now. That is, If you had a steak house just around the corner, why drive across town through a rough, dangerous neighborhood for a cheeseburger.

Put a small enclosure, t-post with a small hoop of net-wire, out in the field so you can compare how plants are growing relative to deer use.
                I've heard they will paw up the radish and eat it when when it gets cold but I thought they liked the forage as well. I chewed on a leaf and its kind of sweet tasting.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                  I've heard they will paw up the radish and eat it when when it gets cold but I thought they liked the forage as well. I chewed on a leaf and its kind of sweet tasting.
                  Yup, my understanding is that greens get really sweet after they freeze.

Comment

Some places deer hammer brassicas, some places they don't. Depends on food sources and what they are used to. Usually I plant mine a little later so that they aren't so stemmy and rank during season. Freezing increases the sugar content as well, which they will need later as it gets cold. Right now there is so much green out there, so much to eat they can do whatever they want. Later after it freezes options get lots fewer.

For the summer stress period something I have had really good luck with is chicory. Seems like it will grow and grow in the spring, nothing touching it. Then sometime around middle of July when most other things are getting tough and stemmy, and peak nutrition is gone out of them, the deer start to just flat hammer the chicory. Deer are like that though. They shift their preferred browsing items on a weekly, and sometimes daily schedule, based on peak palatability and nutrients.

Cold front this week really changed the feel of things. That was the first hard norther of the year. With temps in the 40's and 50's, and a 20+ mph wind on Mon-Tues, it was pretty dang nippy out. It sure felt good though. Made me really start thinking about deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Some places deer hammer brassicas, some places they don't. Depends on food sources and what they are used to. Usually I plant mine a little later so that they aren't so stemmy and rank during season. Freezing increases the sugar content as well, which they will need later as it gets cold. Right now there is so much green out there, so much to eat they can do whatever they want. Later after it freezes options get lots fewer.

For the summer stress period something I have had really good luck with is chicory. Seems like it will grow and grow in the spring, nothing touching it. Then sometime around middle of July when most other things are getting tough and stemmy, and peak nutrition is gone out of them, the deer start to just flat hammer the chicory. Deer are like that though. They shift their preferred browsing items on a weekly, and sometimes daily schedule, based on peak palatability and nutrients.

Cold front this week really changed the feel of things. That was the first hard norther of the year. With temps in the 40's and 50's, and a 20+ mph wind on Mon-Tues, it was pretty dang nippy out. It sure felt good though. Made me really start thinking about deer season.
                      Thanks jethro! We planted more turnips and radishes with triticale early last week will the turnips and radish have plenty of time to grow?

Comment

Great post, Jeff.
                        I need a tractor.

Comment

He belongs in here somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	24514305

Sounds like the weather is cooperating, good luck everybody.

Comment

Lemme see, i planted my tricale about 3-4 weeks ago, and overseeded my brassica mix into it maybe 10-12 days ago. Really I like to plant my fall plots mid-late September, whenever I get the moisture. I had no moisture until the big rains hit this time, about the 25th of Sept.

BTW, I knew an old man about 30 miles from here, he always did everything the old school way, using the Old Farmers Almanac and going by the signs. Didn't matter what he was doing. Planting the garden, castrating a hog, butchering a cow, setting trotlines for catfish. If the signs weren't right he wouldn't do it. He told me that May 26 and Sept 26 were rain days. That if you needed to bank on a rain, you could plan on getting a rain within 24 hours of those 2 days every year. He told me if you were a betting man and bet on it every year, you would make a whole lot more money than you lost. Ever since he told me that I have been watching it, and he is right more times than he is wrong. That is one reason I plant my plots then.

Comment

Lemme see, i planted my tricale about 3-4 weeks ago, and overseeded my brassica mix into it maybe 10-12 days ago. Really I like to plant my fall plots mid-late September, whenever I get the moisture. I had no moisture until the big rains hit this time, about the 25th of Sept.

BTW, I knew an old man about 30 miles from here, he always did everything the old school way, using the Old Farmers Almanac and going by the signs. Didn't matter what he was doing. Planting the garden, castrating a hog, butchering a cow, setting trotlines for catfish. If the signs weren't right he wouldn't do it. He told me that May 26 and Sept 26 were rain days. That if you needed to bank on a rain, you could plan on getting a rain within 24 hours of those 2 days every year. He told me if you were a betting man and bet on it every year, you would make a whole lot more money than you lost. Ever since he told me that I have been watching it, and he is right more times than he is wrong. That is one reason I plant my plots then.
                              Thanks for that tip. Our plots are looking great, chickpeas, black eyes, oats and wheat are all doing well. I'll get some pics this weekend.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a beautiful thing to see good rains come back to the Panhandle. Great posts, fellas. And I've been wondering when Clark was going to share his buck with us Panhandle folk.

Comment

Working...
                                X