600 yds. Finally got a chance to get serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600 yds. Finally got a chance to get serious

Always dreamed of a long range rifle. Finally got to stretch out my 6.5 x 284. 600 yds, 12" circle. Custom Savage model 12 with a 26" fluted barrel. I bought the gun from a member here at a steal of a deal. Rifle basix trigger set at 1.5 lbs and a boyds stock. Harris bipod. 140 gr hornady sst sitting on 48 gr IMR 4350 with a winchester LR primer. OAL 3.1". 5 shot group just under 6". This was my first time getting really serious at 600 yds. Also my first time shooting prone. My shoulder/collar bone is all kinds of sore even though I only shot 35 rounds!!! Evening sun was a killer!! Had to improvise!!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nice!... What ammo were you using and what have you tried so far?

Comment

Well done
      I like your improvised sun shade

Comment

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
        Nice!... What ammo were you using and what have you tried so far?
        I roll my own. Ive tried berger hybrid target, hornady sst, and hornady Ballistic tip, all in 140 gr. The SST have produced consistantly tighter groups from my rifle. Whats awesome about that is they are good for hunting as well as target shooting. I was pleasantly suprised with the results being sub MOA at 600! Scope is a vortex viper 6.5-20X44.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Comment

I tried CCI 200 LR primers, but after having 3 duds in 50, I went with winchester i even tried striking them 3 times with the firing pin and zero detonation! 3 out of 50 is unacceptable to me!!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
            I roll my own. Ive tried berger hybrid target, hornady sst, and hornady Ballistic tip, all in 140 gr. The SST have produced consistantly tighter groups from my rifle. Whats awesome about that is they are good for hunting as well as target shooting. I was pleasantly suprised with the results being sub MOA at 600! Scope is a vortex viper 6.5-20X44.

Have you tried the weights in the 120's?
            What are you zeroed at?
            These questions dont really mean anything, Im just curious.

I tried CCI 200 LR primers, but after having 3 duds in 50, I went with winchester i even tried striking them 3 times with the firing pin and zero detonation! 3 out of 50 is unacceptable to me!!

That is completely unacceptable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
              Have you tried the weights in the 120's?
              What are you zeroed at?
              These questions dont really mean anything, Im just curious.

That is completely unacceptable to me.
              No, 140 has been all ive tried. When I bought the rifle, the guy had 1 box of bergers, one box of SST, and a box of BT's, all in 140 gr. About to order more bullets, so I may try something new. Adjusted the powder charge and came back to 48 gr IMR 4350. Also tested H4831SC and came back to 4350. Tried extending and shortening length by .01" and couldnt get any better results.

Zeroed at 100 yds, 46 clicks (1/4 moa each) elevation at 600.

I agree about the CCI primers and was completely shocked that they gave me that much problems!

Comment

What's the twist rate and is it Short or Long action.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                  What's the twist rate and is it Short or Long action.
                  1:8 and long action.

Comment

nice shooting

Comment

1:8 and long action.

I've got the same twist in my custom. I'm shooting Retumbo and 210 primer with 140gr Berger VLD and getting 2970 and under 1/2 MOA on my 6.5-284. I did have it throated for the VLD. Love shooting it. Got 3 kills between 425-525yd so far. Ready to stretch it out further on animals.

Comment

Has anyone else had problems with CCI primers. I was with a friend this weekend shooting and he had 12 out of 50 that misfired! He was using the small rifle primers. I have used CCI primers for 40 years and never had any problems.

Comment

lol......

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                          Has anyone else had problems with CCI primers. I was with a friend this weekend shooting and he had 12 out of 50 that misfired! He was using the small rifle primers. I have used CCI primers for 40 years and never had any problems.

those were Hillary primers..... lol.. just had to, I also shoot cci and never a issue...

Comment

Working...
                          X