Arrows and Spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrows and Spine

I have some Black Eagle Carnivores 350's that muddyfuzzy built me that I love. My bow is tuned out and ready to go with these, and I have gotten my first bow kills with them this season (3 pigs and a doe)

I also have some Easton Axis 400's from last year. I'd like to use them on pigs so I don't lose the pricey Black Eagles.

I am left handed shooting a mission ballistic 27.75" draw length at 61 lbs and 100 grain heads.

I shot the 400's yesterday and was getting left POI. I assume that is because they are underspined (even though the chart shows the spine to be adequate).

If I go to 85 grain heads, do you think this would this stiffen them up enough? 75 grain?
    Last edited by El General; 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM.

What length are the axis vs the black Eagles? You may be able to effectively stiffen the spine by shortening them

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
      What length are the axis vs the black Eagles? You may be able to effectively stiffen the spine by shortening them
      The axis are about a 3/8" longer. If I shortened them that much, if I shortened them that much I would have to put new inserts in, right?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        The axis are about a 3/8" longer. If I shortened them that much, if I shortened them that much I would have to put new inserts in, right?
        Not if you cut them from the nock end. But, I have always been told to cut arrows from either side at an equal rate. That would be 3/16 off of the nock and and 3/16 off the insert end for you. You should be able to remove your insert if they were installed with hot melt. I have heard that super glued inserts will come out if you take a drill bit just smaller than the arrow, insert it chuck side first into the nock end, and swing that arrow and pop the insert out like you are cracking a whip.

Comment

Just another option. Take a rod that will fit inside the shaft. Then bounce it on the back side of the insert. It will knock them out. Kind of like driving a t-post.

Comment

POI changes can also be attributed to a difference in outside diameter of the shafts, if there is one. This will make the center shot be off just enough to cause impact changes, and make it appear you have spine issues.

Just something else to consider before you go hacking up your arrows and it fixes nothing.

Comment

Arrows and Spine

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              POI changes can also be attributed to a difference in outside diameter of the shafts, if there is one. This will make the center shot be off just enough to cause impact changes, and make it appear you have spine issues.

Just something else to consider before you go hacking up your arrows and it fixes nothing.

This is more than likely part of the issue. The Carnivore is a 19 series (19/32" OD) shaft and the Axis is smaller. The center shot should change between these technically so different poi is to be expected to some extent . Could also be fletching, nock fit little things like that as well.

Comment

Center shot, I didn't think of that. Thanks, guys. I guess I will be selling the axis.

Comment

Curious, why would center shot change? Unless you are using a berger button or something touching only one side of the arrow I would assume pretty much every other rest out there would be self centering along the centerline of the shaft. Pretty much every drop away rest I'm familiar with centers on a v so center is center regardless of diameter. It would however have half the diameter difference affect on your rest height, meaning you would hit low or high depending on the bigger or smaller arrow diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by mab0852 View Post
                    Curious, why would center shot change? Unless you are using a berger button or something touching only one side of the arrow I would assume pretty much every other rest out there would be self centering along the centerline of the shaft. Pretty much every drop away rest I'm familiar with centers on a v so center is center regardless of diameter. It would however have half the diameter difference affect on your rest height, meaning you would hit low or high depending on the bigger or smaller arrow diameter.

Center shot exists in both the X and Y axis as you have noted. This is what has been referred to.

Comment

Working...
                    X