No announcement yet.

Private Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran out of money just after finishing ground school. I always thought I would go back and finish but I never did.

I was in high school and my summer and part time jobs couldn't keep up with the costs.

Good luck.

Comment

Being a corporate pilot...or any commercial pilot for that matter...and not wanting to be away from home probably won't work.

Comment

Comment

I'm a private pilot but that's not really relevant. I've worked for American Airlines for 28 years as an A&P.
          If you want to fly for a living, don't screw around. If your not focused you'll have fun and spend a bunch of money but never reach your goal.
          Sign up with a college program and get it done. Once your CFI/CFII you can build time on other students' dime instructing. It typically takes about $30-40k from start to finish but will give you a chance to have a great career.
          Not sure where your at but I would recommend the program at Southeastern State University at Durant Ok.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
            If you want to fly for a living, don't screw around. If your not focused you'll have fun and spend a bunch of money but never reach your goal.
            Yup... After college, I was paired up with a cute instructor. I don't even know what I spent but after ~30hrs of her and I flying around, I was nowhere close to prepared for the check ride. 4 years later, here I am trying to knock it out. I really regret fooling around and not getting it done.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              Yup... After college, I was paired up with a cute instructor. I don't even know what I spent but after ~30hrs of her and I flying around, I was nowhere close to prepared for the check ride. 4 years later, here I am trying to knock it out. I really regret fooling around and not getting it done.
              What was his rating?

Comment

What was his rating?

If I knew you better, I'd assume that was a joke Lol. CFI. Maybe CFII. At the time SHE had just graduated from school and was a new instructor.

Comment

What was his rating?

Hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    If I knew you better, I'd assume that was a joke Lol. CFI. Maybe CFII. At the time SHE had just graduated from school and was a new instructor.
                    Sorry dude...couldn't help it! Nothing more exciting that a hot FEMALE flight instructor!

Comment

Sorry dude...couldn't help it! Nothing more exciting that a hot FEMALE flight instructor!

Lol couldn't tell if you misread the post and were asking a legit Q or if you were joking around. Again "If I knew you better..." Lol

Comment

I'm a private pilot but that's not really relevant. I've worked for American Airlines for 28 years as an A&P.
                        Sign up with a college program and get it done. Once your CFI/CFII you can build time on other students' dime instructing. It typically takes about $30-40k from start to finish but will give you a chance to have a great career.
                        Not sure where your at but I would recommend the program at Southeastern State University at Durant Ok.

An old coworker of mine got his start from SOSU and is a private pilot now. I have heard nothing but great things about their aviation program.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                          An old coworker of mine got his start from SOSU and is a private pilot now. I have heard nothing but great things about their aviation program.
                          Same here. Good friend of mine went through that program and does pretty well for himself now. He went the private jet route and hauls around some pretty famous people from time to time. I think he likes it but it is a job like anything else. And not much of a set schedule. Lots of time away from home.

Comment

I did ATP through private, went from a 6 figure job to wanting to be a pilot (age 30), after getting a true idea of how long it would take to get back to the same salary range and a decent life work balance I decided to go back to my old job. I am married with 2 girls, just didnt work out for me. I paid cash as I went but the total program was supposed to take around 9 months to get all certifications and cost around $80,000, It is very tough until you get your instrument rating because the restrictions (ceilings, wind speed, ect) are so strict you do a lot of sitting around waiting for good weather. I would only recommend it if you are young and dont have a family. If you are wanting to go straight to the airlines it is the best and quickest route to get your hours as they guarantee you an instructor spot once you finish, pay is nothing, and they dont guarantee where the instructor position will be. I would think really hard about doing it. If you have any questions you can PM me. My best friend is a Capt. at United and he makes very good money (light at the end of the tunnel) but he tells me all the time he wishes he could be home every night more than anything.

Comment

I was amazed at the low pay starting out for pilots. It is one of the only (professional) jobs that I know, that make fast food type wages. Just doesn't compute with me, but I guess it comes down to supply/demand and pilots needing so many hours before they can get a decent gig.

I know my friend started out flying for some of these oil/gas pipelines. Apparently they have to fly down their pipelines very often to make sure there are no leaks, problems, etc...

Comment

Private Pilot

I started flying in high school, soloed at 16 and got my private at 17. I immediately trained for my Instrument, then Multi, then Commercial before I was a junior at A&M. CFII before graduating. I got my ATP soon after my 23rd birthday. Training and rentals were a lot cheaper back then. I flew corporate and freight for a few years after instructing until 9/11 and losing sight in my right eye derailed my career. It’s an awesome way to make a living, but you better have a strong woman at home. Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome, AIDS, is a real thing!

I got a waiver for one eyed pilot in ‘12 and just fly for myself now. The passion still won’t let go of my heart.

Study the material and dedicate at least a few flights a week and you can train quickly and efficiently. PM me if you need something.
                                Last edited by Peyton; 06-18-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X