How 'bout a Quote thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How 'bout a Quote thread?

Post favorite memorable quotes that you have come across, whether in person, from books, online, movies, TV or whatnot. Subjects may be current-event related, hunting-related, entertaining, enlightening, funny or just something you remember as quote-worthy.

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully. There is only attack and attack and attack some more." George S. Patton

From the History Channel show "Mountain Men", the Arkansas blade smith was still-hunting feral hogs at ground level and doing a distressed rabbit call with his mouth. He understated that this could be "dangerous in the sense that I'm the bait." Later, approaching the downed boar, with rifle up: "it's always that last 10 feet that get a little fun."

"Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by the sun of York." First lines of Shakespeare's "Richard III", spoken by Gloucester, referring to better times ahead to be ushered in by the "son" of York -- Edward IV. Pretty relevant to the current state of things, I would say.

Here's a link to a deeper dive on this quote, if interested: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...iscontent.html

"Get off of my lawn." Clint Eastwood character, pointing a shotgun.

"Tempt not the Righteous Man to draw his sword, for he is the Minister of God." Attributed as a Masonic quote.

Biblical take on swords, with Jesus speaking in Luke 22: 36-38: "And now if you have a purse take it ...; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Clint Eastwood character Walt Kowalski from the movie "Gran Torino" was asked by a thug, "What are you lookin' at, old man?"

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you shouldn't have f***ed with? That's me," said war veteran Kowalski.

Quote em up, y'all!

This here's Rocky, he aint no puppy!!

Comment

Always speak the truth but don't always speak.
      An old man I once knew said that.

The only sure thing about getting in the middle of some One else whizzing match is that you are the first one to get wizzed on.
      Quote from. My grand dad

Comment

You be smarter and I’ll be nicer.

Comment

P. J. O’Rourke:

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you darn (edited for filter) well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

Comment

We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men –
            Edward R. Murrow

Comment

From Abraham Lincoln:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool that to speak and to remove all doubt."

Comment

Speaking of Republican Emancipator President Lincoln, how about some Sen. Everett Dirksen quotes -- another Republican, who incidentally was instrumental in passage of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968-- landmark legislation to provide legislative backing for equal protection of all people, saying:

"The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing of government, in education, and in employment. It must not be stayed or denied."

Sen. Dirksen served almost 35 years in the U.S. House and Senate -- dying while in office as Senate Minority Leader. Among other honors, a Senate office building is named for him -- I happened to have walked its halls one summer as a Page in July of '74.

Dirksen is noted as saying (on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson), regarding the national budget: "A billion dollars here and a billion dollars there; and pretty soon you're talking about real money."

My favorite Dirksen quote is: "I'm a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times."

Comment

"Good whiskey does not need a mixer, bad whiskey does not deserve one." My grandpa, many years ago.

Comment

Ronald Reagan--------
                    "Someone once said that politics is the second-oldest profession. I'm beginning to think it bears resemblance to the first."

Comment

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

The only thing that cant be misquoted is silence.

Comment

Wyatt Earp had a way with words as well as guns.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gunfight, you need to take your time ... in a hurry."

"You gonna do somethin', or are you just going to stand there and bleed?"

"My name is Wyatt Earp! It all ends now!"

Comment

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
                            Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
                              Aristotle
                              Alright!!! Aristotle!!! And he's right, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X