No announcement yet.

DIY---- Hog Light (Stabalizer Light)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great thread and I have made one of these for bowfishing. I used a DC phone charger cord and the switch from Radio Shack. I would like to find a larger switch, if anyone knows where to get them. Also am wondering if any one has used the light with the push button switch in the end of the light. If so id like to see instructions with that light.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
      This is a great thread and I have made one of these for bowfishing. I used a DC phone charger cord and the switch from Radio Shack. I would like to find a larger switch, if anyone knows where to get them. Also am wondering if any one has used the light with the push button switch in the end of the light. If so id like to see instructions with that light.
      The radio shack that I went to had a big selection of switches, but I think the tact switch that I used p/n 275-002 works the best. I tried a lever style switch with a roller ball on the end and I didn't like it at all. I'm sure someone makes a larger diameter tact switch, just might have to order it online. I bought 2 more flashlights at Sam's that were a lot brighter and had the switch on the end and I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I figured I would have to run the wires out the side somewhere, but didn't want to risk it and ruin the flashlights so I took them back.

Comment

I know a hole will have to be drilled probly in the side, Im worried about the end cap being capable of holding the bolt to attach to the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
          I have another Coleman light with the switch on the back, while it's rated to be brighter it doesn't shine nearly as far because the beam is not as focused. It's a great light though, I use it for walking around nad general use.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            I have another Coleman light with the switch on the back, while it's rated to be brighter it doesn't shine nearly as far because the beam is not as focused. It's a great light though, I use it for walking around nad general use.
            There are indeed better lights out there. I found a 200 lum tactical light for 50 bucks i was going to convert. It can also be done on lights with the endcap switch, but problem is, it makes it hard to change the batteries without damaging your connections. I chose this light for the most cost efficient way to do it, with good quality light.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
              There are indeed better lights out there. I found a 200 lum tactical light for 50 bucks i was going to convert. It can also be done on lights with the endcap switch, but problem is, it makes it hard to change the batteries without damaging your connections. I chose this light for the most cost efficient way to do it, with good quality light.
              Yeah, the light in the OP definitely works well. It's rated at less lumens than the other Coleman light I have but shoots the beam much further and the battery compartment makes it really easy to just slap a bold in there and mount to the stab, can't get much easier than that.

Comment

One modification I did on mine is where you weld the wires on the light, I removed the silver bar and cut it in half, and took a 1/4 in section out of it. Then just weld your wires on the top and bottom sections and reinstall. Its easier than fighting that spring, I think.

Comment

And you dont have to drill into the batterey pack. Just cut a notch for the wires to run right down the section that holds the silver bar.

Comment

Ok guys i upgraded mine today. I used 18 gauge wire and cut out a ditch for the wire to run. Way brighter and looks cleaner!!!! I think this is the all time best tbh diy thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                      Ok guys i upgraded mine today. I used 18 gauge wire and cut out a ditch for the wire to run. Way brighter and looks cleaner!!!! I think this is the all time best tbh diy thread!!!
                      i used a dc extention cord on mine.. the wire is pretty thick, i am asuming now thats why some people complain about the brightness.
                      if i only had a good place to use it

Comment

I used an itty bitty cord from a cell phone charger I didn't need anymore. It looked dim at first but I compared it to the 2nd light I bought straight up in normal mode and they were both the same.

Quick question, yall that are using Lithium batteries, are they any brighter or just give you more life?

Comment

I noticed that this thread was still going and peeps are still moding the light. One other thing that I ended up doing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is epoxy the battery pack to the end cap. The reason I did it is that my wires were getting twisted up when ever I would remove it and I was afraid they would eventually pull out or twist off all together so I just epoxied it to the end cap and problem solved By doing so it allows the battery pack and wires to move together with the end cap. Just a little more FYI on the DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Blast-n-cast View Post
                            I noticed that this thread was still going and peeps are still moding the light. One other thing that I ended up doing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is epoxy the battery pack to the end cap. The reason I did it is that my wires were getting twisted up when ever I would remove it and I was afraid they would eventually pull out or twist off all together so I just epoxied it to the end cap and problem solved By doing so it allows the battery pack and wires to move together with the end cap. Just a little more FYI on the DIY
                            I'm not following you here. What to you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                              I'm not following you here. What to you mean?
                              I noticed that when I would un-screw the end cap of the light (to change the batteries) the wires would get twisted up. The battery pack fits snug inside the flashlight so that it does not move around too much so as you un-screw the end cap with your wires running through it they get twisted and bound at their point of attachment to the battery pack. By epoxying the pack to the end cap the whole battery pack turns with the end cap eliminating the wire twist and binding Here is a pic of what I am talking about if it will help

Last edited by Blast-n-cast; 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Quick question, yall that are using Lithium batteries, are they any brighter or just give you more life?
                                mine appeated to be brighter as well. The tiny wires in a cell charger though might be holding it back. I used a dc extention cord, cost me 6 bucks but i got 2 cords out of it at least. It has heavy duty wire in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X