Shelf/Plate Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelf/Plate Material

The rest plate material and shelf material on my bow is wearing a little bit. It's either some sort of felt or thin leather. It's still functional, but I'll probably replace it after deer season. It's thin and I shoot a whole lot so I figured it'd eventually wear some. I notice a lot of you guys had mentioned in another thread that you use velcro...do you just buy it at Wal Mart and trim it to fit? Would one of you mind posting a pic?

Shelf/Plate Material

Yes, but at WM (or wherever) and trim to fit.

Here is how I do mine ( a lot of folks use a bigger piece on the shelf, but I like mine as small as possible):

I like the Industrial Strength Velcro because it is a little thicker. If your current sideplate is real thin, you might want to go with the regular Velcro.

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Yes, but at WM (or wherever) and trim to fit.

Bisch
      Thanks Bisch!! Not going to do it now, but after deer season I'll probably swap it out. Don't want to change anything during deer season.

Comment

Dang, that scratch on the edge of my shelf really shows in that pic!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Dang, that scratch on the edge of my shelf really shows in that pic!!!!

Bisch
          Stop throwing your bow and it won't look like that

Comment

I've had sealskin on some of my bows.
            I just use the fuzzy half of Velcro, now.

Comment

I started using velcro when my new custom Blacktail arrived with a velcro rest & plate.

Comment

I use a piece of hair-on cowhide that folds to cover shelf and sideplate. Also have a split piece of dowel glued underneath on shelf for tuning purposes, since '70s-vintage bow has a flat -- rather than curved (radius-ed?) shelf.

Comment

X3 on the Velcro, cheap and easy!

LD

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    I started using velcro when my new custom Blacktail arrived with a velcro rest & plate.

I was a little surprised, but I think several custom bows come with Velcro rests and plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                      I use a piece of hair-on cowhide that folds to cover shelf and sideplate. Also have a split piece of dowel glued underneath on shelf for tuning purposes, since '70s-vintage bow has a flat -- rather than curved (radius-ed?) shelf.
                      I bought a flat shelf Pearson bow off if eBay and shaped the self round with a rasp. I splintered the fiberglass slightly, but not bad. It worked great.

Comment

In fact, mine is a Pearson, and I was going to file a radius on it. However, Rick Barbee, I believe posted that gluing on a split dowel would work fine. It did. Will try and post a pic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine isn't that nice of wood. I painted mine camo.

Comment

Working...
                          X