Airedale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airedale

We lost our GSP over the 4th of July, he started breathing strange and within a few hours was gone. The vets have been completely lost for a explanation, his labs were all normal. So that being said my family was devastated, easily the best dog I have ever owned however we want to try a different breed that does not shed near as much. The breed we are really leaning towards is a Airedale, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this Breed? Suggestions of breeders?
    Thank you.

Most athletic dog I have ever seen

Comment

Do they not shed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a friend who raises them and has two. I can give you her number... She lives in the DFW

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
          I have a friend who raises them and has two. I can give you her number... She lives in the DFW
          That would be great, the closes breeder that we have found is in Arkansas. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            Do they not shed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            They do not, my wife is insist on getting a dog that does not shed like our GSP.

Comment

OP, sorry for the loss of your GSP.

Airedale is a fantastic breed. My friend has one, super playful, high energy, goofy, but can get a little territorial, similar to GSP's. Lots of energy, just be prepared for that grooming bill once a month.

I have considered one next, one problem they have is their fur allows everything to stick to them when running through the woods. But got to love hypoallergenic dogs.
              Last edited by WItoTX; 08-30-2018, 09:35 AM. Reason: .

Comment

David Schuster 830-459-3304

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  OP, sorry for the loss of your GSP.

Airedale is a fantastic breed. My friend has one, super playful, high energy, goofy, but can get a little territorial, similar to GSP's. Lots of energy, just be prepared for that grooming bill once a month.

I have considered one next, one problem they have is their fur allows everything to stick to them when running through the woods. But got to love hypoallergenic dogs.
                  I did read that they need to be groomed by a professional but I would much rather that than having a big shedder.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
                    David Schuster 830-459-3304
                    Is this a breeder?

Comment

Had a couple when i was a kid , both great dogs. One however killed or maimed other dogs consistently. He loved people though. We got him as a young adult dog, so i have no idea why he was that way, but he was hard to keep off other dogs. Hell, he killed the pit down he street. Might have made a good hog dog, if he could have worked with other dogs. He was my favorite dog ever

Comment

Had one growing up. Great dog with a wonderful temperament.

No help on a breeder.. I think ours was outta Wisconsin.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

LAW helped me out with the phone number. Appreciate it.

Comment

One of my neighbors has three of them and from what I can tell they’re dumber than a box of rocks. Bark at everything, don’t listen Worth a dang and don’t like other dogs one bit.

They’re cool looking though...

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                              I did read that they need to be groomed by a professional but I would much rather that than having a big shedder.
                              I want to say that have 2 different coats, kind of an inner coat and an outer one, that is unique and needs something more than regular scissors. (see below) Grew up with GSPs and one time mom got an Airldale. I wasnt a huge fan. But apparently they were used in WW1 and are supposed to be pretty fearless.

Like many terriers, the breed has a 'broken' coat, which is hard and wiry. It is meant to be kept not so long as to appear ragged, and lies straight and close, covering body and legs. The outer coat is hard, wiry and stiff, the undercoat softer. The hardest coats are crinkly or just slightly waved. Curly soft coats are highly undesirable.

The coat is hypoallergenic, tending not to generate allergic reactions in people. Airedales bearing undercoats are generally groomed by hand stripping where a small serrated edged knife is used to pull out loose hair from the dog's coat.[4] Most Airedales require frequent (6 to 8 weeks) clipping or stripping as they do not shed.

Comment

Working...
                              X