ATV Trailer Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV Trailer Build

Starting out with a trailer that was old when I was a kid. Dad brought it home in the early 80’s

It was a 3 motorcycle trailer, probably built in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

Pop was really into quail hunting back then, and we built it into a dog trailer. He used it till the mid 90’s, when life just got too busy, and it has sat behind the shop ever since.

I got the idea watching some threads on here, and our old trailer is pretty well used (and was always too darn small), so I formed a plan, and picked up a few materials.

It will have a 4’wide by 6’ long bed. Angle iron to shape it up. Expanded metal sides, diamond plate deck. Gonna be used to haul critters and firewood, and whatever we might need. I’m certain I could haul a quad on it if needed as well, it’s not a biggie to register a home built trailer out here.

I need to source some tires, and figure out paint (it’ll be tractor paint, that I’ll roll on). I can use the chainfall to flip it over to paint the bottom.

Gonna take a little time to build, since it’s out at the Farm, so weekends whenever I can make it out.

Twerpasaurus helped me get it torn down, and I’m out this weekend cleaning it up.

It’s got some flash rust where we stripped off old paint, and ground down old welds.

I’ll update tomorrow with more build progress

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Looks good, Really BIG Ole Pics but looks like it is coming along. The trailer I built has gotten a work out at the lease. Been great for hauling corn, stands, feeders, deer, wood etc.

Comment

Weird.

It didn’t give me the option to resize my pictures when I uploaded.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Got the basic frame done, still need to add a few vertical supports to tie the expanded metal off to.

Still need to radius the corners, then add decking

Tailgate will be a simple 1x10 that will drop into a slot

I’m cleaning up to head home now. It’ll be a few weekends before I can make it back, so this is how it will stay until then. Got a 2 hour drive back to the house.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Looking great

I welded some eyes on the corners for tie downs. Also a cut HD Chain link and welded on front by tongue for picking it up off 4 wheeler. Makes it a little easier to put on and take off.

Comment

Those are good ideas.

Do you have pictures? I’d like to see what you’re describing

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

large pictures make it very hard to view....

But bet it turns out great!

Comment

I know everything is bigger in Texas but these pics are too big...

Comment

Trailer add ons

Tried to find the pics of when I made it, but after thousands of old pics and going down memory lane with a lot of hunts with my kids in the past, I gave up and said I would take some when I went to my lease. Well, I had a payment due, so I went to the lease and paid up and filled a couple feeders and Remembered to take a pic of the trailer add ons.

The front handle- is a Big Chain link I cut and welded to it to have something to grab on when attaching it to my 4 wheeler. Bending over and trying to get it off the ball hitch is not as easy as it seems. This makes it a little easier.

The other upgrade are eyes for tie downs on the corners. I made these out of an old WWII Canvas Tent Stakes my dad kept. Finally got rid of the Tent in the 70's but kept all the stakes. I think I have 2 left out of 20 he kept since the 50's.

I made removable sides which helps for moving oversized loads, like deer blinds. I have moved 2 box blinds to places my truck could not get to and being able to strap them down on these eyes worked out Great.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Forgot the other pics
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures!

I think I might just incorporate them

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

ATV Trailer Build

Got the new tires mounted on the rims (yep, I did it myself, not take them to a shop)

Then today, I used up a bunch of scrap diamond plate for the trailer floor. That was a laborious process. Some pieces weren’t square, and odd lengths. It was an excuse to use my plasma cutter (I’m still a noob at using it. It is pretty rad tho)

Got them all fitted up and welded in.

plasma cut

welded in a mid brace

. Got my money’s worth out of this cutoff wheel !

it was easier to stand the trailer on end to weld the bottom, than to crawl underneath

a quick coat of primer

parking it out in the yard until I can get back out to the Farm to work on it some more

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I picked up a HF tire mounting tool. It works pretty well.

I ruined the bar, but I cannot blame HF for that one. One of the wheels on the trailer was a ******* size. It measured out as a 14” wheel, and had a 14” tire on it before, but there was no way I was going to get a new tire on that rim.

That’s why I elected for new rims.

This one has a little slime on it. I had it mounted up to the one good rim, and broke it down to put on the shiny new rim. It took me about an hour to break down the tire that was mounted, and then put both new tires on the new rims. I added some Slime to the tires before finishing up. Not too bad for not really hustling too much.

I’ll replace the pipe on the HF tire tool soon, with something of a slightly heavier wall, and I’ll add about a foot of length to it as well

If you pick up one of these tools, having it mounted solid is definitely the way to go. Seeing some poor souls on YouTube fight with them mounted to a pallet or piece of plywood is just painful to watch.

I used Hilti drop in anchors in the apron outside the shop, and picked up some headless scres to use as plugs. Put a little copper anti seize on the threads so I can back them out anytime.

an example of the screws I used to plug my anchors when the tire stand is not in use.

Twerpy breaking down one of the old tires a couple weekends ago.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Following

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks Good

Comment

Working...
                              X