No announcement yet.

Would you hunt Somerville or luminant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to go try my luck at luminant tomorrow bright and early! Haven't heard anyone talk about it so it might be total bust or people just don't know about it and over look it.

Comment

My son and I hunted it 4-5yrs ago. We went in on the east side. We scouted the weekend before the season started and saw nobody, but on opening day we drove into the back parking area and there were trucks parked everywhere. We went back out and hunted to the right just before the last water pond. It was our first bow hunt and what we brought to made a blind out of didn't work. We ended up getting blown at from behind.

To say we learned a lot would be an under statement.

Comment

It's rifle now, kinda curious how crowded it will be or safe I should say it being kind of a small unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbrantley04 View Post
          It's rifle now, kinda curious how crowded it will be or safe I should say it being kind of a small unit.
          How was the hunting trip? Busy much??

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
            How was the hunting trip? Busy much??
            Ran into 2 hunters about noon, I went in at the south entrance 2 truck there when I left heard some shooting towards the east entrance, ran across a dead decent buck just rotting away about 30 yards from where I was set up at. Sad to see, but other than that it was a bust for me but a lot of sign, maybe try again this weekend.

Comment

Anything going on at luminant?

Comment

Anyone hunting Luminent this season?

Comment

My daughter and I went squirrel hunting out there on the youth/adult weekend. She shot twice and missed. Saw two deer. Parked off of 7.

Comment

Luminant can produce, I have seen hogs and deer taken off this area, and ducks too for that matter, that is the good news.

The easy access of off 937. Make sure you park only in the parking area designated on the Public Lands map, I saw the game warden issue a citation for illegal parking. Same deal on the hunter safety orange. If you park in the designated parking, that means you will have to burn some shoe leather, this is the bad news.

Two ponds on the eastern half that you can see on Google Maps/Earth will draw pigs and deer. Plenty of sign around the small pond at 31.280756° -96.369737° and some good archery fields of fire. Also sign around the pond at 31.280756° -96.369737° but it is very thick, poor fields of fire.

The pipeline easement that runs east-west is hopeless, thick brush and grass. The wider one that runs north-south is mowed occasionally and offers good observation. But for a bowhunter, the shots presented will be too far and the deer always RUN across it.

The other access is off hwy 7. Very bumpy, only use a truck or high ground clearance SUV. Mostly very thick cover in the area, but not everywhere. The marsh at 31.280756° -96.369737° offers some good fields of fire and has hog wallows in it. There is a nice trail that leads to the vicinity. The marsh is usually dry.

Because guns are sometimes allowed Luminat sees a fair amount of pressure. When gun deer season opens it will be overun, especially on the one weekend when you can take does. Avoid that weekend.

In my estimation, Liminent is a low percentage destination to arrow a deer, but a offers a decent chance to bring home a bowhunted hog.

hope this helps.
                    Last edited by NightStalker; 10-18-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Just turn Jooger loose and let him scout it for us! He'll have the best buck in no time!

Comment

Working...
                      X