Broadhead point shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead point shape

How do y'all who use regular old welded/brazed broadheads (Zwicky, Magnus, Bear, Ace, etc.), shape your point?

Square chisel, rounded, pyramid chisel, needle, other?

Any interesting experience to back up your choice?

I reckon the single-bevels pretty much dictate a pyramidal point, but I am asking about double-bevel heads here.

Thanks!

Joe

I use zwickeys quite a bit and just sharpen them as they are. I take a black sharpie and mark the edges and I use a file and rotate sides every few strokes working from the arrowshaft to the point until it shaves and put a little vasoline on the edges to keep it from rusting

Comment

I will put a small chisel point on the end.

Comment

Broadhead point shape

My broadheads are not welded/brazed. They come really pointy, and I leave them that way!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          My broadheads are not welded/brazed. They come really pointy, and I leave them that way!

Bisch
          Your heads are like comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy. Both will get you there but the Chevy works better if you chisel the point.

Comment

Interesting. Can somebof you guys reshaping your zwickeys post a pic?

Sometimes I have a hell of a time with them with a file because they are slightly concave too.

Comment

I keep the point the same on Zwickey's but MEB has a point (no pun intended) . Fred Bear chiseled his points and most likely he knew a bit about sharpening bheads

Doug

Comment

I have never understood why a mfgr makes a product that has to be altered to use at its best. If a tanto tip is best on a lot of these heads, why don't mfgrs produce them with a tanto tip???

Bisch

Comment

Several reasons, Bisch-

Most have been around, more or less unchanged, for 50+ years.

They sell for ~$5 each. They are rough-ground, not ready-to-hunt. More work=more cost.

Different folks like different point shapes.

Joe

Comment

Understood!!

Thanks for the clarification.

Bisch

Comment

Welcome, Sir!

SwampRabbit, if I recall correctly (and I might not), Fred just squared off the tip, so the "point" was a 1/8" sharpened chisel.

I'd like to try a tanto (I called it pyramid but Bisch used the correct term), but I'm not sure I could do it reasonably quickly and well-centered.

I have 125g Ace Standards flying like field points, and am leaning toward a 1/16" radius round tip. It will be easy, and should reduce the chance of curling or bending if I hit bone, I reckon.

If someone has done the tanto, and it isn't too difficult, I'd sure like to hear about it.

I think I would take that concavity out of the head by drawing the whole edge lengthwise down the file. My Aces are slightly convex. I sharpen them on a diamond hone, just like a knife.

Speaking of diamond hones, they can get spendy. I recently bought one from Harbor Freight for $13 with 4 sides, each 2"x6", 200, 300, 400, and 600 grit.

Best sharpening tool I've ever owned.

Joe

Comment

I guess my tip would be better described as a Tanto.

Comment

Single bevel flat chisel...and for some reason posting pics these days is a chore...but with the single bevel they tend to turn as they enter leaving nice nice big holes ...flat chisel ive found comes naturally when i single bevel ...and im talking about zwickeys.

Comment

Thanks MEB and 4dog-

I was WAY overestimating the difficulty of putting a tanto tip on 'em.

Took under 5 minutes each; piece of cake.

It actually cleaned up the spin of the two which were previously a little wobbly in spin-test.

Joe

Comment

Good....now go get em !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X