No announcement yet.

Leon County property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate the idea of this rail, but at least it is a private project and it appears the land is only coming from willing sellers….so far. I would encourage people to keep up the fight.

I don’t think it is needed. Work and travel habits are rapidly changing. The numbers of commuters being thrown around are several years (decades) old. Technology will render many forms of travel unnecessary. My company is headquartered in Dallas and I’m in Houston. We correspond every day via email, chat, Go To Meeting, etc. I travel to that office maybe once a year.

On top of that, we are on the verge of major transportation shifts. Ride share, driverless cars, uber etc will likely be more favorable then going to a train station. The airlines won’t lie down. Expect to see incredibly competitive rates.

If it is successful, it will not help the local economies. It will hurt them. In much the same way that small down town areas were hurt when the interstate passed them up, those same communities that focused their growth along the interstate will once again be passed up. Then, we will have some dead downtown communities along with a dead interstate corridor.

Comment

250 + miles of two high fences.
      Co Roads and FM roads will have to have some type of crossings.
      Ranch roads will be dead ended.
      Many, many low areas have to be built up from first taken from somewhere. Leeching creek goes from feet wide to hundreds of yards wide every huge rain
      200+ mph crash’s and derailments.
      Also consider that a 200 MPH train will be incredibly loud. It will disturb the landscape for quite some distance on both sides.

Comment

They have already surveyed my property which is <1 mile away as the crow flies. Curious to see how all this plays out.

Comment

Bad news for the landowners wanting it stopped https://www.texastribune.org/2018/12...minent-domain/

Comment

Heard on WBAP this morning this thing is a go to be done by 2025, what are you Leon co guys hearing?

Comment

Land grab? Who have they taken land from?

I must be missing something. I get it. Nobody wants a train going through their ranch. I wouldn’t. But who’s land did they just take or force you to sell for 25% of its value?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                Supposedly it’s going to be elevated with no crossings, I don’t know why they don’t go right down the middle of 45!
                Elevated???? That sounds awesome but when it derails at high speed, which it will, being elevated will raise the death toll drastically..

Comment

This sounds like nightmare about to happen for landowners.. It is a dam dirty shame that things like this are even possible in this country.. Not sure how I can help stop this but I'm willing.

Comment

Route

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Heard on WBAP this morning this thing is a go to be done by 2025, what are you Leon co guys hearing?
                    Did they ever determine which route that the rail would be using?

Comment

Every day is different. Some days there is no way the train will come through the next day its absolutely on its way. I haven't heard much out of it lately.

I haven't seen the first tract of land be completely sold, however the rail company is putting options to buy land along the steel structured transmission lines.

The option is they'll pay you 20-25% of the value of the property today. Then when and if the rail line goes through they'll pay you the remainder at that time. If the rail road project does not come to fruition you get to keep their money.

They tend to make these buys and options at the end and beginning of the year because they receive new funding around Jan 1 each year.

So there are many people that I have heard and visited with take the option, but no ownership has changed at this time.

Comment

Research Marvin Nichols Reservoir.....

For the time being, those affected have successfully told the "city folk" to pound sand.....

I'm certain these proposed land sales are mostly, if not virtually all, options to purchase if the project is finally approved... similar to oil and gas exploration options....only rather than expiring at the end of a +/- 3 year term (without actual exploration) they are for a longer term with an agreed upon purchase price ......more or less a "purchase option".....

Without a definite need for immediate capital, I'd never agree to a hard option price....that will be some very valuable real estate if the project is ever approved.

Btw, I spent over two years dealing with both state and federal highway authority's regarding some acreage we owned. It was a gigantic headache, but, in the end they were way more than "fair."

I also disagree, vehemently disagree, with private companies having a "right" to seize private property involving a for profit scheme.
                        Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-22-2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Railways, most highways and roads and pipelines, and other utilities all use eminent domain rules. If they didn't, no infrastructure would EVER get built. They are supposed to give appraised value. If someone is offering substantially less than appraised value, it could be someone attempting to buy and resell at a profit.
                          Last edited by softpoint; 11-22-2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Like, I've always said...…………
                            You don't own nothing, in Texas...……………….
                            Follow the money.... there lies, all the answers...……..
                            Did we ever have a vote, on this boondoggle ???
                            I think, we did... and it was voted down...….
                            Somebody, please put a stake through this land grab...………..

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                              Railways, most highways and roads and pipelines, and other utilities all use eminent domain rules. If they didn't, no infrastructure would EVER get built. They are supposed to give appraised value. If someone is offering substantially less than appraised value, it could be someone attempting to buy and resell at a profit. A few years ago,I had to give up 4+ acres of land for a highway widening project. When it's the highway, you generally get overall appraised value for acreage, because they don't consider you are losing frontage, only moving it. Pretty hard to stop, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but if they have eminent domain, it is usually a waste of money to try to stop it altogether, just negotiate the best you can with them. Just my experience.
                              Agree 100%......Plus your experience, and mine as well, involved projects that are an actual physical entity, not a hypothetical.

Anyway, I totally agree with ONE caveat.....

Politicians respond to 2 things, money and the political winds......Gather up enough folks (and $$$) to create category 5's and sometimes they'll listen, they're FORCED to listen.....that's how Marvin Nichols was halted DEAD in its tracks. (at least for now)
                              Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-22-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                                Agree 100%......Plus your experience, and mine as well, involved projects that are an actual physical entity, not a hypothetical.

Anyway, I totally agree with ONE caveat.....

Politicians respond to 2 things, money and the political winds......Gather up enough folks (and $$$) to create category 5's and sometimes they'll listen, they're FORCED to listen.....that's how Marvin Nichols was halted DEAD in its tracks. (at least for now)
                                Its gonna happen eventually as fast as the states population is growing, ask the people where lower bodark creek lake is being built as we speak [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcX_SxSey-Y"]Update on the Bois d&#39;Arc Lake Construction - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X