Weatherford and Parker County Residents !!!!!!! Please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherford and Parker County Residents !!!!!!! Please read

Last night (08/22/2017), approximately 80 Zion Hill Community Citizens peacefully assembled in the Weatherford City Council Chambers (standing room only) to voice our nonsupport of Weatherford's Involuntary Annexation of our community. As per Article 6.3.4 of Weatherford's Rules of Procedure, many of us completed speaking request forms 5 minutes before the meeting to speak on the involuntary annexation.

After the pledges and some other city business, the Mayor, Mr. Craig Swancy, advised the entire crowd, many of us eager to speak, that no public comments about Zion Hill would be heard. For a moment, the crowd sat SILENTLY in disbelief at what we had heard. One person asked, "why?" To which the mayor responded, "because we don't want to."

At that moment, jeers from the crowd began as now the city was trying to silence our voices of opposition to this annexation. The mayor slammed his gavel several times and advised he would have law enforcement clear the room. Upset, community members were still conveying their discontent of the situation and the Mayor said, "empty the room," at that point we peacefully left and waited in the lobby.

After he kicked us out of the meeting, the council went into executive session and after they came back out, "allowed" us to speak (conveniently, enough time had passed that many community members had gone home because their voices had been silenced). This tells me that the city attorney advised the Mayor he had violated our constitutional rights to oppose the city with our voices in a public meeting.

Even though Mayor Swancy apologized, the Weatherford City Council violated the rights of everyone who wished to speak by telling us we could not. Many people's voices were silenced last night by the council.

The Zion Hill Community (and your community when they come after you) does not have a vote on whether or not we wish to be a part of the city, all we have is our voices of opposition and last night proved that the City of Weatherford is willing to violate your rights in order to silence you and annex your property.

Please help stand up to Weatherford's oppression and help us stop involuntary annexations.

To watch the meeting and what happened to us. Visit the Weatherford Page at this link: http://tx-weatherford2.civicplus.com...-Live-Archived

Up

Comment

As a resident of Brock, I know exactly what y'all are going through in dealing with Weatherford.

Comment

Knowing Parker County, and Weatherford
        Follow the money........

Comment

Sad deal, I was against the east loop bc it is going over part of my property, so I bought 42 acres in peaster and now weatherford is trying to annex close to it as well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been going to the Zion Hill community meetings over this since my place is close to all of this land grab. It misses me this time but would probably get me the next. It's all about tax revenue.

Comment

I live in a little 8 home cult a sac off old garner I always wondered how far they would try to push it. They would have to annex the woodlands first i suppose but what they have been doing lately is pretty scary. Have a look at Burleson. Used to be a nice little town but not long ago a close family friend(woman in her 90s) was beat up in the parking lot of a grocery store by "men" who stole her purse.
              Last edited by DWA; 08-24-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhodes520 View Post
                As a resident of Brock, I know exactly what y'all are going through in dealing with Weatherford.
                Now that Senate Bill 6 was signed by the governor, we are already starting to get the petition together to call a special election to stop Westherford's Involuntary Annexation. It's a county wide petition/election and we will need Brock's support.

Comment

My dad was at that meeting. Says it was a joke. Hope somebody can get this stopped. A lot of these people will be adversely affected by annexation.

Comment

That post leaves out the fact that the council has set aside two specific dates/meetings to address the situation, last night was not one of them.

All they did was conduct scheduled agenda business..

Comment

I'm always amazed at how irate folks get at the federal gov't, but let their local gov't and school boards walk all over them

Comment

I live in Springtown, just out the road. I heard about this annex and if it wasn't for recovering from surgery I was going to attend the meeting just because I am resident of Parker county. It sounds like a bad deal all around.

Comment

The mayor violated the Open Meeting act by not allowing the citizens to speak and to speak on whatever they wanted to. I know this well because I sit on City Council in the town we live in.

No matter if there were special sessions or not regarding this topic he can not tell people what or what not they can bring up in the Citizens Agenda. You should get 3 minutes to address the City Council on whatever you want to
                          Last edited by aggie2000tx; 08-24-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

If the matter wasn't on the agenda, there was no violation. Maybe Tuff can post the dates if that was the case.

Comment

I just looked up the agenda for the meeting and there was a Citizen Comments Aka Citizens Agenda on the meeting Agenda. The major can not tell a citizen what they can or can't bring up during that section. A citizen has up to 3 minutes to address the City Council during that time. As long as each person that wanted to speak signs up prior to the meeting starting they have the right to address the Council
                              Last edited by aggie2000tx; 08-24-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X