No announcement yet.

Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just stuck another pig. Not real sure of shot placement, it’s so foggy. She ran off with the arrow in her. Luckily I had time to switch to a old arrow/broadhead so no loss if I don’t find her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I passed on the old eartag buck yesterday morning because I was waiting on the Big split G2 buck. I regret it now.

Crazy thing happened this morning while I was walking in.. I was looking at the ground, heard something, looked up and a big mature 8 I have a lot of pics of was standing 10 yards away, staring at me. I held my light on him and I guess it blinded him. I was about half scared he was going to charge me. He was pretty intimidating looking. We had a stare down for a good 20 seconds and then he moseyed off into the bushes real slow. I was no more than 50 yards from the stand when this went down, at about 6:00. Never saw him when it got daylight. The mature bucks are starting to show up around feeders more. This coming week should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
        Just stuck another pig. Not real sure of shot placement, it’s so foggy. She ran off with the arrow in her. Luckily I had time to switch to a old arrow/broadhead so no loss if I don’t find her.

It’s definitely been foggy! A little more so Friday morning than today. I’m done until thanksgiving. Good luck to everyone else in VV! Deer movement is heating up!

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post
          It’s definitely been foggy! A little more so Friday morning than today. I’m done until thanksgiving. Good luck to everyone else in VV! Deer movement is heating up!

I'll be back up on Dec 8th! Prime time rut so hopefully a big bruiser walks out!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

The fog was horrible...

Friday and Saturday morning. The cold front moved everything out for Sunday morning though. I just came back from VV and Terrell County. It's definitely heating up. I saw several bucks pushing does pretty hard. The buck below was locked up with a couple of does down in a canyon. I tried to get him 3 days in a row, but either his does busted me or the wind was all wrong. Sunday morning found me high up on a ridge glassing for him in the area I had seen him the night before. I spotted some does up on a flat near the main road I came in on and finally found him coming up out of the bottom. I watched him for several minutes at a loooooong distance. He'd push a doe or two around then go tear up a bush. I grabbed my tripod, my 7/08, and went after him. I walked down the road for about 1/4 mile and came to the last high point before it dropped off. I glassed, but couldn't find him. Finally spotted a doe and she was intently watching something across the ranch road. He had pushed those does across the road and was now pushing them back. I moved a little lower under an old weathered cedar, quickly set up the tripod and tried to get on him before he crossed the road and got into the heavy brush. He stopped at the edge of the roadway and turned to look at a doe, giving me a broadside shot. Not knowing the distance was now an issue. I figured he was at least 300 yards out, but I didn't have my pack with me that had my rangefinder in it. Additionally, I didn't know the velocity or the ballistics for my hand load, but I had confidence in the guns accuracy. I settled the crosshairs, sorta, just behind his shoulder and squeezed off the shot. I heard the bullet strike home and watched him rare up on his hind legs before spinning around and falling over. He wiggled twice and then lay still. I sat there for a minute to make sure he didn't get up, and to regain some composure, before easing down to take a look.

When I got to him, he was done. The 140 gr. Accubond handload had struck right on the back point of the shoulder taking out the heart and lungs. Entry and exit hole were nearly identical.

He isn't the biggest buck on the ranch for sure, but he was the king of that canyon. In previous days I had watched him run off several other bucks. What makes it even better is this was spot and stalk. I'd done spot and stalk for 25 years for mulies north of Van Horn and sure did miss it. Sitting in a blind drives me bonkers, but I still do it. After walking all the way back and getting the UTV and driving back to him, I ranged the distance at 302 yards.

Thanks to Navajo Smith, LLC. for the bedding job on that rifle. It's made all the difference in the world. I think i just found a new thumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017buck(2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	24519331

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017buck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	24519332

Comment

Congrats. Way to get it done!

Comment

Good work man! I shot this fat old cull buck yesterday evening. We have killed 3 mature bucks checking does around feeders this week on our lease. They are not full rut and tarsal glands are still pretty dry. I saw another buck from our cull hit list this morning but I passed on him. Didn’t want to burn my last buck tag. I’m hunting a 130+ now.

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post
                  Good work man! I shot this fat old cull buck yesterday evening. We have killed 3 mature bucks checking does around feeders this week on our lease. They are not full rut and tarsal glands are still pretty dry. I saw another buck from our cull hit list this morning but I passed on him. Didn’t want to burn my last buck tag. I’m hunting a 130+ now.

Awesome story! Congrats man
                  Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                  Friday and Saturday morning. The cold front moved everything out for Sunday morning though. I just came back from VV and Terrell County. It's definitely heating up. I saw several bucks pushing does pretty hard. The buck below was locked up with a couple of does down in a canyon. I tried to get him 3 days in a row, but either his does busted me or the wind was all wrong. Sunday morning found me high up on a ridge glassing for him in the area I had seen him the night before. I spotted some does up on a flat near the main road I came in on and finally found him coming up out of the bottom. I watched him for several minutes at a loooooong distance. He'd push a doe or two around then go tear up a bush. I grabbed my tripod, my 7/08, and went after him. I walked down the road for about 1/4 mile and came to the last high point before it dropped off. I glassed, but couldn't find him. Finally spotted a doe and she was intently watching something across the ranch road. He had pushed those does across the road and was now pushing them back. I moved a little lower under an old weathered cedar, quickly set up the tripod and tried to get on him before he crossed the road and got into the heavy brush. He stopped at the edge of the roadway and turned to look at a doe, giving me a broadside shot. Not knowing the distance was now an issue. I figured he was at least 300 yards out, but I didn't have my pack with me that had my rangefinder in it. Additionally, I didn't know the velocity or the ballistics for my hand load, but I had confidence in the guns accuracy. I settled the crosshairs, sorta, just behind his shoulder and squeezed off the shot. I heard the bullet strike home and watched him rare up on his hind legs before spinning around and falling over. He wiggled twice and then lay still. I sat there for a minute to make sure he didn't get up, and to regain some composure, before easing down to take a look.

When I got to him, he was done. The 140 gr. Accubond handload had struck right on the back point of the shoulder taking out the heart and lungs. Entry and exit hole were nearly identical.

He isn't the biggest buck on the ranch for sure, but he was the king of that canyon. In previous days I had watched him run off several other bucks. What makes it even better is this was spot and stalk. I'd done spot and stalk for 25 years for mulies north of Van Horn and sure did miss it. Sitting in a blind drives me bonkers, but I still do it. After walking all the way back and getting the UTV and driving back to him, I ranged the distance at 302 yards.

Thanks to Navajo Smith, LLC. for the bedding job on that rifle. It's made all the difference in the world. I think i just found a new thumper.

[ATTACH]883887[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]883888[/ATTACH]
                  Awesome! That's good to hear! We will be down in 2 weeks! Should be full on rut

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm headed out Thursday morning. Hoping to see some all out rut action. I was really disappointed last year

Comment

You are timing it great Brian. We are headed home in the morning, and it is pretty dang busy right now. Mostly younger ones all out chasing, but mature bucks starting to show themselves. Had 2 mature 8s sparring for almost an hour this morning. Dusted a management 6 yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Rattled in several bucks yesterday too.

Comment

Had to do a picture with phone timer and backpack. 152# live weight.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice cull. I went that same weekend last year and saw the most intense fight I have ever witnessed. They fought for 39 min, had cactus flying in the air. My only regret then was not having a video camera. I have one this year! I wanted to go this weekend but my daughter is in college at Ole Miss so time with her is more important, lol.

Comment

You will be glad you waited. We were just a few days early I think.

Comment

Headed out to my place in VV County Thur. Hoping to see some matures show their head. Thanks for the updates, guys

Comment

Working...
                                X