Culverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culverts

Is there any difference in load rating between a 15" and 18" plastic culvert?
    Looking at a 30 footer for use in sandy east TX. Existing culvert is 18". Bar ditch is shallow. Approx 25k lbs of truck and travel trailer is max load at the current time but don't rule out a mobile home truck or roll off dumpster truck in the future.

Corrugated HDPE plastic pipe or solid wall?

If you can't get 9" of cover on corrugated 18" I'd go with the 15". If you still can't get 9" I'd go to a solid wall plastic pipe, SDR 18 or less.
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Can only assume the "ribbed" style (for her pleasure). Cover is at least 12" on the existing 18" now. Road is just a bit higher than our road so I'm sure they can slope down and get plenty of cover.

Have read the post about the cement stabilized sand. Very good info.

Comment

Yes, cement stabilized sand or flowable fill are good options to backfill with. If you do, make the trench twice as wide as the pipe diameter before backfilling.

You should be fine with either diameter with that depth of cover.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

I've a got a 24'' corrugated plastic culvert with about 9'' of cover coming into my place. I can't tell you how many concrete trucks, dump trucks, 18 wheelers, etc. have crossed it with no issue.

Comment

At least two inches of cover (fill) for every inch of pipe diameter. Compact around pipe as you fill will prevent it from collapsing. The clay/gravel fill is what actually supports the weight, not the pipe. This will support anything driving over it.

Comment

Sell this stuff for a living, recommend 1 foot of fill on top, but you can get by with a minimum of 9" no problem. Not going to be a difference in load rating on the sizes and if so it will be very minimal. Make sure you use the double wall culvert

Comment

If you haven't bought a culvert yet, PM me. I might have a deal for you.

Comment

Working...
                X