No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that many deer out there but the biologist really wants does shot. He says the buck to doe ratio is bad. Im really suprised they chsnged the rules to more than 1 buck. Most hunters are lucky to have a few deer in bow range during the entire hunt so increasing the deer limit won't change the harvest much except possibly some guys shooting young bucks knowing that they can still shoot a big one should the opportunity present itself.

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
      Not that many deer out there but the biologist really wants does shot. He says the buck to doe ratio is bad. Im really suprised they chsnged the rules to more than 1 buck. Most hunters are lucky to have a few deer in bow range during the entire hunt so increasing the deer limit won't change the harvest much except possibly some guys shooting young bucks knowing that they can still shoot a big one should the opportunity present itself.
      I'm curious what will happen when rifle season begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
        FYI... make sure to follow the speed limits if stayinn in town. Saw a lot of people pulled over. I stayed over in Port Isabel, really nice easy going and relaxing. No need to speed.
        Both Port Isabel and Los Fresnos are notorious for being speed traps, definitely watch your speed.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
          I'm curious what will happen when rifle season begins.
          I was drawn for the rifle hunt, and I got a new information packet emailed out to me this morning and it now state, I can take up to 5 deer with no more than 3 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
            I was drawn for the rifle hunt, and I got a new information packet emailed out to me this morning and it now state, I can take up to 5 deer with no more than 3 bucks
            I meant how many deer are going to be killed during the rifle season with the increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
              What might not be updated in the packet is that now the bag limit for whitetail is 5 (3 bucks max out of 5 whitetail).

Also, all whitetail are legal. I had a 4 pointer stood 50 yards in front of me but didn't take a shot because it didn't have the 13" spread. Called the Check Station afterwards, and person told me all whitetail legal regardless.
              The updated bag limit is included in the updated packet. I also confirmed with TPWD that there are no restrictions on the bucks. Also, the updated packet does not address being able to setup your blind the day before your hunt so I confirmed this morning that this has not changed - their response is below.

"According to staff at the Laguna Atascosa NWR (956/748-3607) hunters are allowed to set up their blinds the day before their hunt begins."

Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                I meant how many deer are going to be killed during the rifle season with the increase.
                I would think 3 times as many than bow kills. But once shooting starts, them animals will take cover.

Comment

I am set up and ready to go! Looking forward to tomorrow! Looks like the last group finished pretty strong by the looks of the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Looks like they did a lot better than the first group! We are set up and ready to go to. We are excited at the potential for tomorrow. We didn't see any other signs of hunters in the two areas we set up, but saw a lot of trucks today. If we can we are going to try and hit Geminis place for dinner tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

That Board looks way better.

I am set up on great looking intersection. Also got within 150 yards of a nice bull and two cows. Very close to set up. Hope they stick around and come my way.

Good luck everyone.

Comment

Couple pics from earlier

Comment

The first hunt was nilgai only. That's why the board looks so much better. Good luck on the hunt!

Comment

Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer

What are yalls thoughts on hunting thru this expected rain? I am planning on just bringing my frogg toggs and try to wait it out as long as I get in before it hits... thoughts?

Comment

I'm just gonna hunker down in my pop up. I waterproofed it this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X