Turkey Fan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Fan Question

I have had this fand salted and drying for a while now (like over a year). As you can see there was blood on the fan and the feathers have stuck together.

What is the best approach to making the feather full again? I have tried wiping them clean with a wet sponge, but feel I was making it worse.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Good morning

Comment

I'm hoping a taxidermist sees your post and offers his/her advice to you soon. If it were me, I'd try soaking the blood covered areas on the feathers with cool water to see if that would help. I'd be leery of using any harsh chemicals. If the water doesn't work, I'd try hydrogen peroxide - the kind you get in the grocery/drug store NOT the kind in the beauty parlors. I'd be ready to rinse the feathers off in cool clean water following the peroxide, and then shake the excess water off and let them air dry. Best of luck to you, please let us know how this comes out.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I've never had good luck getting feathers like that back to normal either. If all else fails kill another one.

Comment

I'm not a bird guy, but I do know the feathers need to be clean before you mount/dry them. Typically a wash in Dawn and water will get them clean, then a clear water rinse. A bird taxidermist will put them in a tumbler to dry and fluff the feathers .... then mount the bird (or in this case, the tail).

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Like TexTax said, dawn and water(I've always done before mounting). I use a hair dryer to dry and fluff.

Comment

Try steaming them. I know it works on arrow feathers.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      Like TexTax said, dawn and water(I've always done before mounting). I use a hair dryer to dry and fluff.

I’ve done this on multiple and works good. Shouldn’t matter that it’s already mounted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a bird taxidermist and this is what I would do. Pluck those dirty feathers out, drop them into a sink of warm, Dawn soapy water and swish and clean them. Then rinse rinse rinse and put them between fold of a towel and press to get as much water out. Reverse the hose on a shop vac and then blow dry them. They will return to normal but you wont think they will for a while. (hair dryer works but takes longer)

Reinstall

Comment

Working...
                        X