No announcement yet.

Retro Insulation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows, air ducts, and attic insulation will make the biggest improvements, and probably in that order, depending on how much insulation you have and what condition your duct work is in.

I would start by having an ac guy do maintenance on the unit and make sure it is performing as it should.
    After that, adding blown in fiberglass insulation is probably the cheapest and easiest way to make an improvement.
    If your duct system is in poor shape, adding extra insulation will just make it harder to eventually replace, so that might be a better place to start. Put in an R-8 duct system.

Comment

Couple things:
      Do not jump on the foam your roof bandwagon without a reputable company looking at it. If your attic is vented you do not want to use open cell foam. Closed cell is twice the price and can work for you if the rest of the attic is ready for it. What I mean by that is you mention "lay down" radiant barrier. That foil is meant to be installed on your rafters, not layed over existing insulation like many homes had installed 20+ years ago. If you foam your rafters and leave that, you're creating a "greenhouse" in your attic in that high humidity climate. Also, I do not recommend cellulose insulation. As an installer, we will not install. We recommend Rockwool or Fiberglass blow, and installing the radiant barrier in the correct location. PM me if you need anything further, we operate in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
        Couple things:
        Do not jump on the foam your roof bandwagon without a reputable company looking at it. If your attic is vented you do not want to use open cell foam. Closed cell is twice the price and can work for you if the rest of the attic is ready for it. What I mean by that is you mention "lay down" radiant barrier. That foil is meant to be installed on your rafters, not layed over existing insulation like many homes had installed 20+ years ago. If you foam your rafters and leave that, you're creating a "greenhouse" in your attic in that high humidity climate. Also, I do not recommend cellulose insulation. As an installer, we will not install. We recommend Rockwool or Fiberglass blow, and installing the radiant barrier in the correct location. PM me if you need anything further, we operate in your area.
        why not cellulose?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          why not cellulose?
          We do not like it. Its dry, dusty, attracts bugs/ silverfish, made from newspaper, cardboard etc...

Comment

Couple things:
            If you are spray foaming the roof line, you definitely should use open cell and the area should be changed from a vented roof to an unvented roof. The only time you should ever put foam in an attic is completely sealing the attic off. No venting whats so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              If you are spray foaming the roof line, you definitely should use open cell and the area should be changed from a vented roof to an unvented roof. The only time you should ever put foam in an attic is completely sealing the attic off. No venting whats so ever.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Retro Insulation Questions

Exactly

Open or closed but def should be sealed and remove the old if foam is involved. I may have worded wrong in 1st post.
                Closed adds tensile strength and used a lot in coastal areas.

Last edited by mfarmer; 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                  Hightech-what windows and what company?
                  Let me pull the paperwork when I get home..
                  It was 4 years ago..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wincore was the maker.
                    Shopped a bunch of independent places.
                    Specs from my paperwork.
                    Dual pane
                    Energy performance ratings
                    U-factor 0.30
                    Solar heat gain coefficient 0.20
                    Energy star qualified.

Have been real happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just did the fiberglass blow in myself on top of old bat insulation. Made an Instant difference with how much my ac runs

Cost was around $300 acrually a little less including a bunch of expanding foam I used to hit around different stuff like drop lighting, exhaust fan etc.
                      If you buy the insulation from Lowe's they give you the machine to blow it in for free, just bring it back clean. Was an easy job and I went way higher then reccomended. My ac doesn't really even kick on at night anymore and is off alot during the day when it was running constant before. My house was built in the 70s
                      Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X