Work on the Side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    If it didn’t impact my current job in any way, then I would definitely consider it. If I still questioned the morals I would ask my boss his thoughts on it. If it’s not in direct competition with you he shouldn’t have an issue, and he may make aware that more money is welcome. If he says no, then he should be able to explain why not. If he makes a logical argument against it then I’d have no problem turning it down.

This right here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of people use their skills for side jobs. Probably not an issue as long as there is absolutely no way it could negatively affect your employer, be seen as working for competition, and as long as it doesn't affect your job attendance or performance.

"Technically" it's probably none of their business unless a non-compete is signed. I'd personally feel the need to let my employer know what i was doing... but I have a high opinion of my employer and know how they would react. Some would be worried you might be hired by whomever you are helping or that you would build up enough work to go out on your own.

Comment

Hypothetical: You are employed by a landscape company and mow lawns for a living. After work neighbor comes over and asks if you will mow his lawn and he will pay you to do it. You have a personal lawn mower at the house and would not need to use any of the equipment that your company provides to complete this work and will not do it on company time.

I am supposed to feel like it is unethical to mow his lawn for money without asking my boss first? Call me unethical but if I wanted the extra money I would be over there that evening with my lawnmower and never think twice about it.

Comment

Is the former Co-worker someone you worked with at your current employer (did he leave your company to start his own and wants you to help him)? Also, any chance you could tell your current employer you have an exclusive client/customer and want more money for handling his stuff (kinda like a commission or something)?

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
            Hypothetical: You are employed by a landscape company and mow lawns for a living. After work neighbor comes over and asks if you will mow his lawn and he will pay you to do it. You have a personal lawn mower at the house and would not need to use any of the equipment that your company provides to complete this work and will not do it on company time.

I am supposed to feel like it is unethical to mow his lawn for money without asking my boss first? Call me unethical but if I wanted the extra money I would be over there that evening with my lawnmower and never think twice about it.

We actually take a course on ethics once a year. Test and all. From what she is describing according to my company would be unethical and lead to immediate consequences . Plus I signed a stupid non compete contract as a condition of employment. Yeah my company bites. But they pay the bills. Soooo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

Agree. If I have a skilled trade, and need the money then I wouldn't hesitate. Whats the difference from somebody holding a second job, trying to make ends meet?

Comment

The guy opened up his own company - him and his wife. They do what my company does but not what I do (the company I work for offers quite a few services and what he does is one of those services). After thinking about it, helping him out by providing my expertise could potentially land him more work, work that my company does....which would not be good for where I work. I think I made my decision, appreciate the offer but you can only hire if you hire the company I work for in order to get to me.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, they were extremely helpful.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                  Yea this is more of an ethical decision versus a legal issue since I did not sign a non compete document. I am super hesitant to do it because it does not seem like the right thing to do, but I seem to hold myself to higher standards than those of others in this this day and age so it is good to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks
                  Be proud to hold yourself to higher standards.
                  Consider this: Your 'former' co-worker is in competition with your employer (does the same thing). However, as a start up, he/she is probably strapped for cash. So, rather than doing what your employer does and hire full-time employees (perhaps providing benefits, etc.), he/she hires contract workers. This also allows him/her to undercut your employer on jobs because his/her labor costs are lower.
                  So, it definitely affects your current employer on some level.
                  If you really want to make the extra money, ask your boss about it. If he/she is OK with it, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                    The guy opened up his own company - him and his wife. They do what my company does but not what I do (the company I work for offers quite a few services and what he does is one of those services). After thinking about it, helping him out by providing my expertise could potentially land him more work, work that my company does....which would not be good for where I work. I think I made my decision, appreciate the offer but you can only hire if you hire the company I work for in order to get to me.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, they were extremely helpful.

Given that additional info, you made the right decision.

Comment

hope your company would be as loyal to you as you are to them

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        Given that additional info, you made the right decision.
                        Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                        hope your company would be as loyal to you as you are to them
                        I agree with both of these now.

Comment

in alot of cases, even though its the same genre of work, and it seems like it would be competition.. The reason the guy left to do it himself was possibly because of a "micro-niche" that was being overlooked. I've heard several stories where an HVAC tech or electrical tech leave and do their own thing, and there old employer become their newest source of referrals/business because they are willing to eat the scraps that the more established business have had to look past. In a ton of situations, it ends up being a win win for everyone involved.

Comment

Quit your job now an start your own business ! problem solved

Comment

You made the right decision.

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I know I made the right decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X