Ideas for future mountain rifle builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just recently ordered the TBH rifle deal through Alamo Precision. Checking out all the custom builds really got me thinking about building a custom lightweight mountain rifle in the future. Was thinking 300WM and as light as possible. With no budget in mind what type of things would y'all look at for this type of rifle? It would need to be capable of hunting elk, moose, or bear. Any other calibers suggested?

Hope you like recoil! My “mountain rifle” is a .30-06 That comes in at 7.5 lbs scoped, around 6.5 lbs bare. I felt it was the best combination of light enough to carry easily but heavy enough to shoot well, and with enough power to get the job done without generating a flinch.

Comment

Mine is a tikka in 308. Comes in at 6.8# scoped. I like it a lot for the money. I know you can spend some bucks and get 5-6#

Comment

We have built a few insanely light(for cartridge) 28 Noslers and 300 WM's recently for the very purposes you mentioned. Titanium and carbon fiber certainly aren't cheap, but they will allow a full sized rifle to carry like a dream and still be easy to get behind. Have not built one without a brake

Comment

As for caliber, consider the .300 WSM. Does everything its brother does in short action. I have a Mark Bansner in .300 WSM that weighs in at 6 pounds 4 oz. bare. It does not have a brake and has a little bite to it.

Comment

Fierce Firearms is making some really sharp sub 6.5# rifles. Really impressed with their stock ergo.

Comment

I’m trying to decide between a custom build with a Lone Peak Ti action, Proof Light Sendero barrel, McMillan edge fill stock, etc or something along the lines of a Cooper 92 Backcountry.

Either one serves the purpose. APR builds rifles that flat out shoot but so does Cooper (I’ve got both). At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and I still don’t know what I’m gonna do. The Cooper is certainly a lot cheaper and it carries a 1/2 MOA guaranty. But I like having my fingerprint on a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought one of these in 280 AI and I love it.

Comment

I’m in the middle of a lightweight build. I went with a pierce precision titanium featherweight action. The big difference is the bolt is titanium in the pierce vs the other titanium actions. Another big weight saver was the javelin spartan 300 bipod at only 5.2oz. I went back and forth on a proof barrel but the weight savings isn’t what most think when you compare light contour steel barrels to carbon barrels. The other components were all lightweight but those two components is where I saved the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                    Fierce Firearms is making some really sharp sub 6.5# rifles. Really impressed with their stock ergo.
                    Fierce builds off a Sako clone action in titanium, which is IMO a hundred times better than a Rem 700 action that most customs use. Full disclosure, I have customs in a 700, and factory Sakos, but not a Fierce.

Comment

Just finished mine couple months ago. Didn’t go crazy light with a pencil barrel (Bartlein 2b) and still came to 6.4lbs bare. It could have easily been a pound lighter just with a barrel change. I used the Borden Alpine Ti and it’s awesome
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1518758283.970318.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24530693

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        Just finished mine couple months ago. Didn’t go crazy light with a pencil barrel (Bartlein 2b) and still came to 6.4lbs bare. It could have easily been a pound lighter just with a barrel change. I used the Borden Alpine Ti and it’s awesome
                        [ATTACH]897132[/ATTACH]
                        Nice! Please share all of the specs. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          [ATTACH]897132[/ATTACH]
                          Great looking rifle! What Barrel length and cartridge did you with?

I settled on the Bart 2B. Chambering in 7SAUM and leaning towards 23” Barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I bought one of these in 280 AI and I love it.

Is that the Kimber?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                              Nice! Please share all of the specs. Congrats.
                              Originally posted by P & Y View Post
                              Great looking rifle! What Barrel length and cartridge did you with?

I settled on the Bart 2B. Chambering in 7SAUM and leaning towards 23” Barrel.
                              6.5 SAUM

Borden Alpine Ti
                              Manners EH3
                              Bartlein 2b 24” fluted (miller brake)
                              Bix n Andy Tacsport trigger
                              PTG aluminum bdl metal
                              Leopold Mark 6 in Hawkins rings

Comment

Working...
                              X