No announcement yet.

Pre emergent time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hybrid Bermuda lawn that we sodded last year. Greening up nicely but have a few patches of weeds in it. What kind of poison can I use that song hurt the Bermuda

Comment

If the weeds are up and the grass still dormant, roundup.

Comment

Thought i would post this from Neil Sperry (Sunday's post). For all the lawn guru's. Good luck on your grass!

Garden Tip: It's time for first feeding across the middle 80 percent of Texas. (Already could have been made in Deep South Texas, and it's still sub-freezing – too early – as I type this in the northern Panhandle.)

Have an accurate soil test run every 3-4 years to monitor availabilities of nutrients in your soils. One test for soil samples collected around your lawn and a second test for samples from flower and vegetable gardens will give a good idea. I recommend the Texas A&M Soil Testing Laboratory (see them online), but results this time of year may be delayed, so you may need to make one feeding based on your best estimates.

The results of the test may surprise you. Clay soils in Texas (and elsewhere) usually show excessive levels of phosphorus (middle number of the 3-number analysis) and advise you not to add any more phosphorus at this time. Results from extremely sandy soils, which do not hold nutrients strongly like clays, may suggest high levels of nitrogen, with very modest amounts of phosphorus.

It is my policy not to recommend specific brands with my answers here, especially with a subject as broad as fertilizers. There are dozens of fine types that have half or more of their nitrogen in high-quality, slow-release form. National chain stores do sell some, but local independent retail garden centers often have their own special house brands with equal ingredients. They also have the experience to guide you in choosing the amount to purchase and advise you in how to apply it.

If you prefer to use organic fertilizers, you should still check the analysis and determine the amount you will need to deliver sufficient nutrition to keep your lawn, landscape and garden plants vigorous. They have low levels of nutrients, so you will need to apply more by weight.

Since I know it will be asked, I still prefer not to recommend "weed-and-feed" products. It has been my experience that there is too much chance of accidental damage to trees and shrubs that share the same growing space with the turfgrass. The two processes can certainly proceed, but I feel that it's more prudent to do them independent of one another.

As for future feedings, St. Augustine should be fed again in mid-June and early September. Bermudas and zoysias should be fed every two months into early October. Fescue can be fed now, then not again until mid-November. (It's a cool-season grass that goes dormant in summer.)

Comment

Neil Sperry Posted again on FB - reminder this is the week to put down pre-emergents for grassy winter/spring weeds. Use Halts or Dimension!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
            Neil Sperry Posted again on FB - reminder this is the week to put down pre-emergents for grassy winter/spring weeds. Use Halts or Dimension!

Good luck!
            Thanks! I usually follow Randy Lemmon's schedule and his states to not apply pre-emergent until late October/early November. Is it weird that these two guys are so far off?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              Thanks! I usually follow Randy Lemmon's schedule and his states to not apply pre-emergent until late October/early November. Is it weird that these two guys are so far off?
              Not weird - sorry, Neil is a north texas expert. Randy is south texas. Adjust appropriately!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                Not weird - sorry, Neil is a north texas expert. Randy is south texas. Adjust appropriately!
                Thanks. I live south of Austin, so I guess I will shoot for around min October or so.

Comment

Yep, good time with cooler temp and a bit of rain

Comment

I used Barricade in the spring. Should I use that again on the fall or something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X