Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
PVDT
Eight Point

Default Gearhead Archery

Dave Watson was diehard Mathews forever and "switched" to Gearhead Archery a couple or so years ago. I know I'm usually late to the party but now I see that Roger Raglin has "switched" to Gearhead Archery. Has anyone on the GS actually used, held, or shot one of these 10 inch bows?? JK about the 10 inches of course but dang....
PVDT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Yes. Garbage imo

Switched = dropped by sponsor but I'm pretty sure you know that.

Last edited by Fishndude; 07-29-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
PVDT
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Yes. Garbage imo

Yeah. Hence the quotation marks..."switched".
PVDT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
CEO
Ten Point

I had never heard of them so I had to check it out. As a Mathews shooter I'm offended by how much more their bows look like waffles than mine.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Yes. Garbage imo

I'd be embarrassed to pull that out of the case.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
Loanman
Four Point

Hunt In: Turkey Tx

Been shooting a Bowtech 82nd Airborne for several years and have enjoyed it. I was walking by the trailer at TTHA for gearhead, and decided to stop and take a look....i was intrigued by their design and then i decided to shoot one. I was so impressed i decided to order one.

There were 2 brothers in front of me waiting to shoot one, they were both talking about how they just bought Halons....after they shot the Gearhead they both decided to buy one and sell their Halons....True Story. The guy that invested in the company started laughing when they said they would take 2 of them....

I haven't been excited about buying a new bow but after shooting this one (T20, 60lbs) i got excited.
I think once they pick up a some dealers in Texas they will catch on. One of the Engineers and one of the guys that financed the company were answering questions, they had a good story and from what i could tell a very interesting product and design.
The reason i decided to buy was after the arrow was released, it was like I hadn't shot it, I'm not sure what the bow term would be but (recoil) is the only word that comes to mind.
Last but not least i shot the Aluminum and Carbon didn't really feel any difference for the cost and only losing about 8 oz's in weight. For some reason there isn't much about them on Youtube, but the guys in Hawaii really like them and that one video of him crushing the target at 75 yds, looked pretty convincing to me about accuracy.
Hopefully i am making a wise investment on a Bow since I haven't bought one in a long time, except for my recurves!
I shoot at my home and behind my office, if you want to try it, come by the office.
And no I'm not in the Bow business, I'm in the money business...my point being is this not a commercial, but i do think they deserve a fair shake on something that is a little bit revolutionary and got the attention of a typical skeptic.
If you get a chance to shoot one, you should try it.
Loanman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

I just shot one yesterday for the first time a 24 inch version. I have a turbo carbon hoyt now and I can tell you that it will be my back up bow.. I live a few miles from CCA so I get to shoot new bows pretty ease as they get them in .. Dont get me wrong I like many other bows.

The size of this bow is amazing. the pull is very light for the poundage you pull.

And in a tree or blind no more worrys about branches or how or where you sit , super light.. And its extremely quiet to shoot .. Whats not to like about it ??
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Where did you go to shoot one yesterday?
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Where did you go to shoot one yesterday?

In my shop my buddy bought one.. I had never gotten the chance before this . JUST blown away .

He is working to be a dealer as he went to Missouri to get his .. He brought back a booklet on the bows for me . And I spent a hour shooting it .. I really did not want to give it up.. HA HA

If your interested he has a shop in GP .. Super cool guy I am sure he would let you check it out.. He is a RV repair owner by day .. Pm me with your number I will see what he says
Old 01-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Traildust
Pope & Young

Can go up to 34" DL with the custom release. No more 4" D-loops needed
Name:  Extended release aid.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  14.1 KB
Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Myself do not use that type of release .. in fact I had to use his yesterday and it felt so weird .. I have a spot hog and carter thumb style but I am only a 28 draw. However on his at 29 and his wrist deal I was closer to 30.. and it still did not feel like I was stiff armed ???
Old 01-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes. Garbage imo

Will you elaborate on the "garbage" comment? Is it a design flaw, cheap materials or something else?
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

I like some aesthetic appeal to my bow, and that right there rules out Gearhead. It may be the greatest bow on earth, but I can't shoot something that looks like it was constructed by a 10 year old with an erector set. To each his own, but not for me.
ultrastealth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

Looks like an erector set on steroids
PapaBear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

HA HA what it looks like ?? Who cares its a tool nothing more . Do you think I care what my snap on wrench looks like ?? Or better yet I get guys that want me to build their performance harley engine with a pipe " that looks good " performance aside makes no sense .
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
HA HA what it looks like ?? Who cares its a tool nothing more . Do you think I care what my snap on wrench looks like ?? Or better yet I get guys that want me to build their performance harley engine with a pipe " that looks good " performance aside makes no sense .
I disagree. I'm not going to dump a bunch of money into a bow that looks like that. When it comes to guns, bows, and rods & reels that I'm going to spend money on, I'm going to like the way they look. This isn't a wrench or a pipe.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Well I shoot a glock so I guess that is why .. And I disagree its a tool,... My Glock and AR have been used just for that,.. in service to protect myself and others . To tell anyone that its a looks deal is silly in my opinion .. Do you really think the fish cares what the reel looks like , or the game you shoot noticed the latest camo pattern ..

You care what it looks like , it has nothing to do with function . I want an item that gets the job done each and every time . If that said item is smaller lighter and easier to maneuver ad there is no down side ?? why not ..

Its a mechanical device designed to propel an arrow . that simple .

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 01-31-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #18
nimrodajh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere with legal access

Strange looking for sure but I've been interested in the bowfishing rigs. Just want someone else to try them first.
nimrodajh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

I shot bows at the ATA show a few weeks ago. I can understand their concept, but did not feel it was next best thing.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2050z View Post
I shot bows at the ATA show a few weeks ago. I can understand their concept, but did not feel it was next best thing.
I'm not sure of what their concept is ?
A short bow with crazy string angles? Way too many pieces on that riser and pistol grip for me to even look at them.

Also, having a looooong release doesn't increase your draw length!

Hard to think that PSE, Matthews, Bowtech, Elite, Obsession, Martin, High Country, etc, etc., got it wrong for all these years.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #21
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
In my shop my buddy bought one.. I had never gotten the chance before this . JUST blown away .

He is working to be a dealer as he went to Missouri to get his .. He brought back a booklet on the bows for me . And I spent a hour shooting it .. I really did not want to give it up.. HA HA

If your interested he has a shop in GP .. Super cool guy I am sure he would let you check it out.. He is a RV repair owner by day .. Pm me with your number I will see what he says
pretty sure he could have one if he wanted one. He might know someone at cca
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
A short bow with crazy string angles? Way too many pieces on that riser and pistol grip for me to even look at them.

Hard to think that PSE, Matthews, Bowtech, Elite, Obsession, Martin, High Country, etc, etc., got it wrong for all these years.
The employee said they wanted to shake up the archery community. Basically, all bows look alike. Only so many ways to cut a riser. New concepts generate new ideas.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2050z View Post
The employee said they wanted to shake up the archery community. Basically, all bows look alike. Only so many ways to cut a riser. New concepts generate new ideas.
Sure. I work with engineers daily. I understand taking simple, proven designs and complicating the hail out of them
Old 01-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #24
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sure. I work with engineers daily. I understand taking simple, proven designs and complicating the hail out of them
That's what engineers do!!! Just ask any shade tree mechanic that is trying to change the last spark plug at the back of the engine.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #25
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Quote:

Do some research on where they bought some of their ideas from .. Owner of this company .. He decided to make this one his own .

I get it I own a 1400 + dollar bow now.. bows pistols are a " fit" thing . It may not be for everyone .. I can say that it fits me very well and I plan to buy one..

Complicated ? Explain that ?? a left or right bow thats a nice feature ..

Other companys got it wrong well some went under others kept changing.. SO Not sure how you can say that they are right and this one is wrong ??

CCA is not where I shot it and they do not sell them I live by that shop and shot all the new bows this year and nothing was jumping out at me . will keep my 17 version for the back up and the new GH for primary .

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 01-31-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Will you elaborate on the "garbage" comment? Is it a design flaw, cheap materials or something else?
Anybody? Any other opinions out there?
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #27
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I saw one for the first time on tv today. They are ugly, but the first parallel limbed bow I saw was ugly also. Probably not buy one.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top