Spring Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Turkey

I was offered the chance to hunt turkeys in Goliad county this year. The season is from March 17 to April 29. I have never even thought about hunting them. Is there a better time to plan a trip, begging of the season or towards the end?

Brian

Kinda varies by area. It’s a lot like rut in that it slowly increases then wanes. That said end of season can be crazy fun if you don’t have a lot of pressure in the area. Birds are still hot while the hens have all gone to nest. Makes for some lonely boys

Comment

Exactly what playa said. I hunted goliad county for several years and it seemed the birds were easier to call right at the beginning of season and near the end. Numbers and pressure will certainly play a part in the hunt. That being said it's my favorite thing to hunt and anytime in the turkey woods is a good time. Prepare for chiggers/ticks by treating your clothes

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
        That being said it's my favorite thing to hunt and anytime in the turkey woods is a good time. Prepare for chiggers/ticks by treating your clothes
        This!

Comment

Exactly what playa said. I hunted goliad county for several years and it seemed the birds were easier to call right at the beginning of season and near the end. Numbers and pressure will certainly play a part in the hunt. That being said it's my favorite thing to hunt and anytime in the turkey woods is a good time. Prepare for chiggers/ticks by treating your clothes
          What are you treating your clothes for ticks with? I'm sick of the nasty suckers.

Comment

Like the others, I like really early in the season or the very end. I just spray down really good with some good OFF and usually fine on the chiggers and ticks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
              What are you treating your clothes for ticks with? I'm sick of the nasty suckers.
              I douse all my turkey gear in permethrin solution of about 10%, let it hang dry, supposedly good for a few washings

Comment

I hunt in Northern Goliad county. Spring has always been great hunting for me early on. If you are runnin and gunnin be aware where you sit as fire ants can ruin your hunt, ask me how I know.

This is what you are looking for......

Comment

Working...
                X