How old should they be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old should they be

I have a 2 year old lil boy who just loves to watch me shoot my bow. He holds up two sticks an acts like he is shooting his own bow. I want too take him hunting with me but I don't know how long he will be still..... any thoughts.

Take him on short hunts. Bring stuff to occupy him. When he gets bored, leave. Don't expect him to be perfectly still or quiet.

Comment

Take him on a hunt when ur not serious about hunting see how it goes and have fun and teach him

Comment

Afternoons are the best........

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
          Take him on short hunts. Bring stuff to occupy him. When he gets bored, leave. Don't expect him to be perfectly still or quiet.
          Very important. I took my daughter, when she was 7, to the lease one afternoon and stayed well past her max time. This was two years ago and she still hasn't wanted to go back. She loves to shoot her bow but gives me the when I ask if she wants to go to the lease with me.

Comment

The "hunt" is all about them. Forget about trying to hunt for yourself. You will ruin it for them by making them stay in the blind. If they last 1 hour, then they did good. Nothing wrong with taking them out with you right now but just be sure to make it their time.

Comment

I started my son at 6 (last year) and brought a kindle fire or ipad for them to play when they get squirmy....worked well....but I also brought his mathews genisis to shoot at varmits and stuff.....he still talks about our trips and is ready for this season to start.

Comment

I brought my son last year on his first hunt as a four year old. I brought the I pad with us and he was fine.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378769310.708866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	24243075

Comment

Hey Tim it's all about him have patience and as much as we hunt before you know it he will be out hunting all of us!

Comment

i started my son at the age of 3. take something to keep him occupied.point out every animal, bird that you see and tell him what kind they are.
                    now he is almost 21 and hunts and goes fishing whenever he gets a chance

Comment

never to early to start'em like eveyone has already said make it about them if they want to leave then pack it up. after a little while they start to stay longer and longer. mine are nine and seven and if you tell the seven year old that you are going deer hunting and a bunch of deer come out and you dont shoot one then he will look at you ask why are we here and it is time to go if you are not going to shoot a deer. His grandfather learned that the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                      X