Backpack camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpack camp

If you wanted to go on a backpack camping trip within 3 hours of houston, sleeping in hammocks and cooking off the campfire with a group of buddies where would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure the true name. but in Fairfield off I-45 there is a great place to pitch a tent and do some fishing, nice lake, wake up surrounded by deer

Comment

In for answers as I am in the same boat. Actually we are needing to test packs and backcountry sleep systems for western hunts this fall.

Comment

SHNF, in the Wilderness area. Not hilly, but nothing is within 3 hours. a hundred yards from the trail you will be surprised how remote it feels.

Comment

Yup, Sam Houston, Angelina and Davy Crockett. Look into the Lone Star Trail system.

Comment

Check out the Lone Star Hiking trail in the SHNF. Can help you find the spots to park and what not. Plenty of trees for hammocking!

Comment

My buddies and I have done the complete 4 C Recreational trail several times. Its a lot of fun, and quite beautiful. We cheat and use some fire roads to drop water and beer for the evenings so we don't have to carry so much crap in.

A well-maintained trail winding through the Davy Crockett National Forest. Near Alto, Texas.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  SHNF, in the Wilderness area. Not hilly, but nothing is within 3 hours. a hundred yards from the trail you will be surprised how remote it feels.
                  I don't mean this in a bad way, but why do Millennials always try and create an acronym for everything?

The guy may not know that that means Sam Houston National Forrest. I'm just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                    I don't mean this in a bad way, but why do Millennials always try and create an acronym for everything?

The guy may not know that that means Sam Houston National Forrest. I'm just saying.
                    I don’t think it is just millennials lol I’ve heard just about everyone use that regarding the SHNF or the Sam or whatever else anyone calls it. Good looking out though bud.

Comment

1.5 hrs away - Lone Star Trail

3.5 hrs away - Pedernales Falls (Busy busy)

4 hrs away - Hill Country State Natural Area

4.5 hrs away - Colorado Bend

5 hrs away - Lost Maples (busy busy, but not during the week)
                      Last edited by JoseyWales82; 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                        My buddies and I have done the complete 4 C Recreational trail several times. Its a lot of fun, and quite beautiful. We cheat and use some fire roads to drop water and beer for the evenings so we don't have to carry so much crap in.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...creation-trail
                        x2

Comment

thanks keep em coming

Comment

You may look at Lake Georgetown loop. Not many people on it at all compared to State Parks. Trail is not bad but it is not good in places so it does test how packs ride and your footwear. I forget exact length for entire loop but it is a solid two day trip. There is a primitive campsite you can use that has 2 picnic tables.

Comment

Working...
                            X