Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for not canceling baseball practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always hated playing baseball this time of year. Too dang cold. Love playing,just not until it warmed up a little. Let em have the day off.

Comment

No! Cold weather doesn’t give people flu or a cold. Get their snowflake asses out there.

Comment

Cancel it. Kids don’t know how to properly dress as an athlete for those conditions. Most parents won’t know either. You’re gonna have a bunch of kids who want to quit after the first practice because they were miserable-and that would have nothing to do with kids not wanting to play bad enough. Remember, these are 7/8 year olds. Serious baseball shouldn’t start until they hit their teens.

Comment

Indoors or I wouldn't have it. Not real good to be throwing this early in this weather.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            My kids played in that weather every year and they are still here. Im not sure what being in the cold and getting the flu have in common.
            Cold and dry air makes you more likely to catch the flu if you come in contact with it. Along with many other issues with kids being out in the cold in general.

I'm sure we all practiced in -40 and 3' of snow in our day but in reality there is little to no reason to have 7 year olds out in 40 degree temps with the wind practicing baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              No! Cold weather doesn’t give people flu or a cold. Get their snowflake asses out there.
              Your are correct, however.
              Cold means running nose, eyes watering from wind, this causes a person to wipe at their faces and transfer germs from their hands to their faces and this causes illness.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                Your are correct, however.
                Cold means running nose, eyes watering from wind, this causes a person to wipe at their faces and transfer germs from their hands to their faces and this causes illness.

Oh you mean like sweat, dirt and dust ??

Maybe wait for the one perfect day of the year to practice??

Comment

Ever wondered why when it warms up a little we don't see near the flu spread?

Comment

I'm amazed that the old wives tale of cold weather causing sickness is still so pervasive.

Comment

That's good for ya.
                      Only thing one should be doing on days like this is trying to kill critters or making babies. [emoji3][emoji106]

Comment

What doesn't kill them will make them stronger...
                        Last edited by 10132297; 02-11-2018, 10:14 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

They’re 8 years old, none of them are going pro next year. With the flu that’s going around my kid wouldn’t be there. Way too much of a chance of getting sick.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Cold and dry air makes you more likely to catch the flu if you come in contact with it. Along with many other issues with kids being out in the cold in general.

I'm sure we all practiced in -40 and 3' of snow in our day but in reality there is little to no reason to have 7 year olds out in 40 degree temps with the wind practicing baseball.
                            If you will note I didnt say anything about the weather I played in but the weather my kids played in. And all of the studies Ive seen say there is no correlation between being in cold weather and catching the flu or the common cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              I'm amazed that the old wives tale of cold weather causing sickness is still so pervasive.
                              Doesn't have anything to do with the "cause" it has to do with the susceptibility of being infected and spread of the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                My kids played in that weather every year and they are still here. Im not sure what being in the cold and getting the flu have in common.
                                Cold weather doesn't give you the flu but it sure can affect the immune system and the respiratory system ....and if you are exposed to the virus, make you more susceptible. I just had a long conversation with my doctor about it two weeks ago at a checkup. His words not mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X