Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It only depends on your lifestyle and budget

Comment

I think I'll always have wood burning. We just enjoy it too much. I'm a bit of a pyromaniac anyway. I love to play in the fire.

Comment

Gas logs with remote control
        Burn dat gas baby. LMAO

Comment

Real wood fireplaces
          Real Christmas trees

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had both. I use my gas much more than i used my wood burning fireplace only because of ease of use. The wood puts out much more heat but the has has been so much easier.

Comment

I have wood, like to cut wood, don't mind splitting wood, so it's wood for me.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wood burning here for three reasons.
                1. I love the wood fire smell and sound. ( foam house with no problems )

2. I enjoy getting together with a couple of friends, cutting and splitting wood...... and maybe drinking a few cold ones along the way.

3. That is what my wife told me I wanted, so there ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                  will be starting our home build in about 30 days and need advice on a fireplace. We are leaning towards a ventless gas fireplace instead of a wood burning fireplace. Anyone have any bad experience with them . We had a wood burning stove in our other house and did not use it he past 5 years. Thanks in advance.
                  My daughter and SIL just got a ventless gas fireplace.

How does that work? Burning natgas produces carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, sulphuric dioxide, and water.

How do building codes let that stay in the home rather than be vented?

Comment

Did not know that. Thanks it's currently 6 degrees at my house so may give it a try

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    If you turn on just the fan on your ac/heat, it will deliver the heat to the entire house. Ours has for all these years.

Comment

We have a gas fireplace, it does have a vent...remote control, has the embers, and background lighting...heats the room really well, we have it service every 1-2 years.
                      No mess to clean up....we love it

Comment

We prefer wood. In newer houses that are sealed really well you can crack a window when you first start the fire. Once the chimney heats up it will draft on its own and you can close the window. Also a shopvac makes ash cleanup a breeze

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have two propane fueled gas ventless fireplaces in my 2,300 sq ft barndominium with R-30 installation in all ceiling and all exterior walls. The fireplaces are 99% heat efficient. I live in East Texas on 400 heavily wooded acres, so wood supply is not a problem but wood is a lot of work and I don't have time for it, on a hunting ranch.

The fireplace in the great room with 17' ceilings heats the area very well, I reverse the ceiling fans and use the fan only function on my central A/C to move the heated air to all rooms. The one fireplace works well with an outside temp of 30 degrees or more.

If, the second fireplace in the master bedroom is used it heats the bedroom in a matter of 5 minutes, leaving the bedroom door open with both fireplaces on and the A/C fan on, the entire place easily heats to 70 with the temp at 17 this morning. I am very pleased with the performance of the gas fireplaces.

Outside fires are all wood tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                            We split the difference and have a wood burning insert style with log starter burner. If we decide to, we can switch it to a gas log system and close the damper most of the way.
                            Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            I wouldn't have a wood fireplace unless you had access to lots of free wood.
                            I'm building a house and need to decide. I have all the free wood I could ever use (I actually sell firewood) Our home will be spray foamed. I love real fires.

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                            Agreed

I did the same thing on the house we just built. Had a wood burner for 20+ years before. I can count the number of fires I burned over the last 5 years on one hand, too much hassle. We put 42K BTU LP gas logs and it comes on with the flip of a switch. My living/kitchen/dining area is 32'x34' with a 19' vaulted ceiling. You'll have to turn it off in less than an hour because it'll run you out of you don't. Dale Moser can fix you up.
                            Dale a fireplace salesman? He the expert that can tell me if my house will get too smoky etc?

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                            If you have any allergies, go gas!
                            Wife has allergies

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            Wood burning imo. Our place is spray foamed and we haven't had a problem with it smoking out the house we use ours all the time. With the cold weather coming I bet it won't go out for the next couple days!
                            Where did you buy? And is it a fire place in the wall? I'm wanting a fire place stove myself. Those smoke more or less than traditional fire places?

So many pros and cons.. My head hurts.

Comment

This isn't really on topic but probably close enough. I am building a barndo and have went back and forth on whether to go with a gas/wood fireplace or wood burning stove. Just recently decided to go with the wood stove . Being sealed with foam I am going to have to figure out how to get outside air to the stove.

Comment

Foam and real wood don’t mix

Guys

I’m a homebuilder and have researched this extensively, I promise if your house is truly foam Encapsulated and done right (basically air tight)you will not be able
                                to have a real wood fireplace. Even if you provide make
                                Up air for it. The fire will cause a negative air pressure once it starts to consmume the oxygen inside the house. That pressure difference will not allow fireplace to draft correctly. Unless you equalize pressure
                                By opening a door or cracking a window.

If you have foam and have a fireplace that burns wood then I promise the foam has leaks somewhere that is allowing outside air in which in turn means the insulation is Not working properly in the summer as well

If you want to foam insulate you have 2 choices. A direct vent gas insert or a fireplace like the extrodinair(wood burning stove fireplace). Both of these run completely off there own air supply and the safest and most reliable way to go if you foam.

Comment

Working...
                                X