X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting in a Tree?

[ATTACH]798378[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]798379[/ATTACH]

I would like to hunt out of this tree and would like to hear how y'all would do it. For reference, that is a 10' tripod next to it which doesn't provide any cover and never got hunted out of. I'm thinking more about building a tree stand but I'm open to any suggestions. I think I need to get at least 5' higher than the tripod but maybe even 10'.

I thought about a hang on or ladder stand but don't have any experience whatsoever with them. With the angle of the trunk(s) (nothing vertical) I'm under the impression this is not an option. Is that the case or is there some way to make one work to be level with something to lean against? That would obviously be the easiest to accomplish.

If I do build a tree stand, how do y'all suggest building it? Please post pictures of any you have. My initial thoughts are to screw 2x6's between the trunks in a manner I could mount a pallet to it. Then I could put a pedestal and boat seat on top of the pallet and be good to go. If you can't tell yet, I'm looking for minimal effort due to time and now heat to get something in this tree.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and pictures.

Game Tamer style of lock on is what I'd use. Building one is an option but usually not the safest way to hunt as it will deteriorate with age & weather. The Game Tamer or old Woodsey Too type lock one allow you to level the platform and seat and shoot almost 360* from the seated or standing position. A good set of strap on ladder sections or screw in tree steps will get you to 15-20'.

Comment

The 2x6 and pallet would probably work and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. If you went that route you could alway put some camo netting, cut branches, or something in that sort behind you to break up your body in the sky line.

Comment

Will work on any crooked tree

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          [ATTACH]798378[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]798379[/ATTACH]

I would like to hunt out of this tree and would like to hear how y'all would do it. For reference, that is a 10' tripod next to it which doesn't provide any cover and never got hunted out of. I'm thinking more about building a tree stand but I'm open to any suggestions. I think I need to get at least 5' higher than the tripod but maybe even 10'.

I thought about a hang on or ladder stand but don't have any experience whatsoever with them. With the angle of the trunk(s) (nothing vertical) I'm under the impression this is not an option. Is that the case or is there some way to make one work to be level with something to lean against? That would obviously be the easiest to accomplish.

If I do build a tree stand, how do y'all suggest building it? Please post pictures of any you have. My initial thoughts are to screw 2x6's between the trunks in a manner I could mount a pallet to it. Then I could put a pedestal and boat seat on top of the pallet and be good to go. If you can't tell yet, I'm looking for minimal effort due to time and now heat to get something in this tree.

Buy a Johnson 360 tree stand. They can be hung in this type of tree and made for crooked trees. I have 8 of them in trees just like this on my place!

I am a bigger guy (6'2" 275lbs) and these are great. Very comfortable and easy to hang. I use Big Game Treestand Stagger Steps to able to build a "winding" ladder up to the platform(s).

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
            [ATTACH]798378[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH]798379[/ATTACH]

Buy a Johnson 360 tree stand. They can be hung in this type of tree and made for crooked trees. I have 8 of them in trees just like this on my place!

I am a bigger guy (6'2" 275lbs) and these are great. Very comfortable and easy to hang. I use Big Game Treestand Stagger Steps to able to build a "winding" ladder up to the platform(s).

I can usually set up a set like this in 30 minutes from box opening to sitting in tree. Minimal Effort!

Granted these are not cheap! But they are good and will last a very long time!

The Woodseytoo is a nice stand and I used to hunt them, but the problem is they don't have the multiple axis adjustability. I slowly started to switch out the Woodsey's I had set up.

I am going out to the ranch this weekend...I will take pictures and post here.

One other plus about the Johnson 360 is you can just buy the bracket and take the platform and seat to multiple bracket locations.

Comment

Platform out of 2x with 2x blocks nailed up for climbing. Add rope or mule tape to raise/lower your gear to and from.

Comment

I hut out of a tree job st like that. Home made seat chained to a limb. Im probably 14 feet up and i very rarely get busted. I hand corn just a few feet off th base.

Comment

I have a swivel limb.. I DO NOT recommend it for very large guys. I'm 6' 2" and when I was around 180lb it was OK now that I'm around 200lb I don't trust the way it feels

Comment

Definitely some type of hang on. As tall as that tree is you would not need any additional cover if you place it up in the understory of the tree. Just from looking at the tree in the picture it looks like a great tree to hunt out of! Use strap on steps or scew in steps or a combo of both to get up to were you can find a truck that is some what vertical. Make sure you use your saftey belt!

Comment

Hang on like a game tamer or woodseytoo would work great. I see a perfect tree to build a platform up in though. 2x6s or 2x8s as the main frame, lag bolted in, and then some 2x6 planks on top of that. I have a thread somewhere that shows how we built two platforms up in a tree

Comment

I am with the 2x6 platform guys. I have hunted out of many a live ok with nothing but some steps nailed on and a 2x6 across a fork way up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I had a big tree like that I would probably build a tree house and put some nice deer view windows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Twisted Timber tree stands. It will work.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1467155056.281061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24449618

Here is the view from my woodsey stand. I have nothing bad to say about them. Mine stays hanging in the trees year around. Going on 3 years with no issues. I have been thinking about getting a Johnson to try out. I like their adjustments capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X