Biblical story that confuses me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biblical story that confuses me

Oftentimes we get confused between God's voice and satan's voice. We are told that we can tell that it is God's voice if it follows His principals and teachings.

So I'm confused about the story of Abraham and his son Issac. The Bible says the Lord told Abraham to sacrifice Issac up on the mountain. So Abraham made preparations and took Issac up to the alter on the mountain. Just as he was about to sacrifice him, a ram appeared in the bush as a substitute. And all ended well.

How did Abraham know that it was God's voice and not satan's? Yes, I realize the story was also prophetic of Jesus' death, but this one story confuses me.

Faith

Comment

even in the most troubling of times, God's voice can not be confused ,, it is absolute authority, reassuring, calming.... and it comes from everywhere all at once, inside, outside, overhead, from the ground...

Comment

I'm with you it is confusing, only thing I can contribute is that as A Christian today I can't really wrap my mind around blood sacrifices in general. Because Christ paid our debt with his blood, we aren't accustomed to blood sacrifices, they were. I think maybe God was testing Abraham, not for God's sake (he knew what Abraham would do) but for Abraham's.
        Not much help I know.

Comment

Well, now you've gone and given me something to ponder.... I've never considered that I could confuse God's voice with Satans.

Back then their interaction and communication with Him was very different than ours today. It was more direct. That may be one reason he was able to distinguish between the two.

Comment

Abraham was a righteous man and he was accustomed to talking to God and he KNEW God. Really no different than You know your own mom and dad... You know when it is them when they talk to you because you are used to talking to them as well... Same with Abraham. Abraham was faithful to God's commands and it was credited to him as righteousness. Same way today. If we study God's Word and commune with Him daily in prayer and meditation we will KNOW when He speaks. We will also know when the Deceiver tempts us because we know God's Word and we know God's heart because our hearts are like His if we know him... Best way I can describe it is really that "feeling" you get when you just KNOW something is not right, but you're not sure just why yet... That's the Holy Spirit in you, God in you.

JMHO, but I believe it with all my heart. Hope it helps...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Abraham was a righteous man and he was accustomed to talking to God and he KNEW God. Really no different than You know your own mom and dad... You know when it is them when they talk to you because you are used to talking to them as well... Same with Abraham. Abraham was faithful to God's commands and it was credited to him as righteousness. Same way today. If we study God's Word and commune with Him daily in prayer and meditation we will KNOW when He speaks. We will also know when the Deceiver tempts us because we know God's Word and we know God's heart because our hearts are like His if we know him... Best way I can describe it is really that "feeling" you get when you just KNOW something is not right, but you're not sure just why yet... That's the Holy Spirit in you, God in you.

Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Good stuff, SS!

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind if it hasn’t been said is in the context of the other “gods” worshipped then they all asked for child sacrifice. A god asking to kill your kid wasn’t strange for them to hear. Baal, Asherah, - they required human sacrifice for little things like rain, wealth, protection, etc.... so when God invites Abraham to kill his son even though God has made a promise to create a nation through this 100 and something year old man he didn’t ask questions it seems. But God was also showing that He is far different than the man made gods we worship. Soooo much so as others have eluded that He intends to sacrifice Himself to bless the people He loves instead of what the world is used to.

Comment

You also have to realize that Abraham knew God would prevail His will. He looked at it like no matter the outcome God would still be there for him. He could even assume that God would raise Issac from the dead. But regardless, his true faith would carry him through no matter what happened. Its definitely a tough story to comprehend when we put ourselves in Abraham's shoes (sandals, lol).

Comment

Good stuff right here! Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Charlie did a good job explaining how he sees it and i agree..

Now for the present time, you can try what the voice is saying against the written word. GOD will NEVER speak a direction to you that is contradictory to the his written word..

Comment

One other thing.....unlike today, the only way to hear God's voice in Abraham's day was through a prophet, an Angel or God himself. Abraham frequently communed with God. Unlike for us today, it was live, verbal communication. He did not 'ponder in his heart", he HEARD God.

If we walk in relationship with God, we hear Him through His Holy Spirit. When Jesus departed the earth, He stated that One was being sent that would help us...that One is the Holy Spirit. The third part of the Trinity. The current day "voice" of God.

Ask this question: "Lord, give me new revelation on the scripture of Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac. I want to understand you more and see you through those eyes. Thank you for opening my eyes in Jesus name". Then give it time...you will get an answer. God loves revealing mystery.
                          Last edited by JayB; 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Oftentimes we get confused between God's voice and satan's voice. We are told that we can tell that it is God's voice if it follows His principals and teachings.

So I'm confused about the story of Abraham and his son Issac. The Bible says the Lord told Abraham to sacrifice Issac up on the mountain. So Abraham made preparations and took Issac up to the alter on the mountain. Just as he was about to sacrifice him, a ram appeared in the bush as a substitute. And all ended well.

How did Abraham know that it was God's voice and not satan's? Yes, I realize the story was also prophetic of Jesus' death, but this one story confuses me.
                            The Bible says that Abraham and GOD talked to each other many times. The first time GOD explained to Abraham who he was, so because of all their conversations he knew who GOD was. Abraham was also referred to as a friend of GOD. That being said, he would have recognized GODs' voice with out any problem or interference.

Comment

Thank you so much for helping me understand this.

I have heard God's voice as clear and honest as the morning sunrise. I have also heard the devil's voice, but it seems his is always a whisper from the darkness. I guess that's what it was like to Abraham. While I could never say I'm on the level of Abraham's faith, I try every day. I find myself in prayer many times not saying anything, just waiting for Him to speak. Maybe that's why Abraham and Issac have been on my mind so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X