Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, .22 subs will work just fine

Comment

Why even use subsonic when you can buy a big ole box of the cheap stuff that's much faster and it's will do the job just fine. I think, unless you're dealing with a really big, really old boar, it is highly unlikely(if you know what the heck you're doing) that you need anything more than some standard 22LR ammo to put down pigs in a trap. Now I've heard stories from my dad, from way back in the day when my grandparents used to butcher hogs, and they shot this big ole hog right between the eyes several times, and it would just stun him, and he would get back up. I don't remember the details exactly what they did to finally kill him, but when they skinned out the scull, there where just cracks between the eyes where they shot him. Who knows what kind of ammo they where using. My dad used to use .22 shorts a lot when he was a kid. But this was a domestic hog shot right between the eyes. As far as the 30-06 skipping off the skull........maybe somebody grazed a hogs head with a 30-06, that's possible, but come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
        Why even use subsonic when you can buy a big ole box of the cheap stuff that's much faster and it's will do the job just fine. I think, unless you're dealing with a really big, really old boar, it is highly unlikely(if you know what the heck you're doing) that you need anything more than some standard 22LR ammo to put down pigs in a trap. Now I've heard stories from my dad, from way back in the day when my grandparents used to butcher hogs, and they shot this big ole hog right between the eyes several times, and it would just stun him, and he would get back up. I don't remember the details exactly what they did to finally kill him, but when they skinned out the scull, there where just cracks between the eyes where they shot him. Who knows what kind of ammo they where using. My dad used to use .22 shorts a lot when he was a kid. But this was a domestic hog shot right between the eyes. As far as the 30-06 skipping off the skull........maybe somebody grazed a hogs head with a 30-06, that's possible, but come on.
        Deflection of the frontal plate when looking at me. I was there, I made the shot, I cleaned the animal. It happened.

Comment

It'll work, best spot is behind the ear.

I had a "buddy" shoot a big boar in between the eyes 4 or 5 times and they all just flattened against the skull under the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
            It'll work, best spot is behind the ear.

I had a "buddy" shoot a big boar in between the eyes 4 or 5 times and they all just flattened against the skull under the skin.
            I have seen that as well with sows over #150.

Best spot is to let them charge you and grab the cage then shoot straight down between the axis and the skull .

Comment

A homeowner called us during the month of May as feral hogs had been rooting the yards, lake and property within this residential subdivision since April. Ro...

The op question was will 22 subsonic ammo penetrate. I think this answers that question. These guys say they have killed over 10000 hogs. They do it for a living. This is also one reason you would want to be quiet. For me I want to be quiet during deer season because I have noticed when high powered rifles start going off my deer become nocturnal. I have never used sub sonic but I would if I had a gun with a silencer. I have never had a problem with my 22 and in most cases one shot does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.
                Nope. Have seen it
                .22 mag with solids below the ear will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  It will do the job...........sometimes.

I still prefer the suppressed .45acp.
                  Yep that'd get the job done I'd imagine. That boar I shot was hardcore. Took one 95 grain Ballistic Tip and six 22 bullets like a champ. I emptied the revolver and gave him another Nosler from point blank. That was my introduction to just how tough hogs are.

Comment

If a bullet can bounce off of water, why is it hard to believe that it could bounce off of an animal's skull?

Comment

.22 between the eyes from point blank has always been plenty of medicine

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.
                        some of those old wives tails have foundation in fact,, yes they can skip off!! not that they will every time but the likely hood goes up,,, you can kill one with an ice pick too,,, but like a 22 not the best choice, even though it can most certainly work,,,,, big difference between "can work" and " will work"

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          Deflection of the frontal plate when looking at me. I was there, I made the shot, I cleaned the animal. It happened.
                          So you did kill it😂😂
                          If you can’t kill a pig with a 30-06 then you need to give up hunting or learn how to shoot..

Go ahead and tell me you were a sniper as your resumé!

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                            If a bullet can bounce off of water, why is it hard to believe that it could bounce off of an animal's skull?

This will only happen at extreme angles. I suppose if the angle is extreme a Bullet might bounce off a pig skull but any semblance of straight in shot ain’t gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

i had a big boar die when he heard my name...

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                                So you did kill it😂😂
                                If you can’t kill a pig with a 30-06 then you need to give up hunting or learn how to shoot..

Go ahead and tell me you were a sniper as your resumé!
                                Knocked it down. I went to drag it from under the feeder and it got up. Shook her head and walked off.

30-40 min later a buddy at a feeder 400-500 yds away shot it after giving me hell like you are for it not being possible and that I missed.

When they are looking right at you do not shoot them between the eyes at 100 yds. Wait for them to turn.

Granted that is the only time that has ever happened to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X