Distance error or “shooter” error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance error or “shooter” error

Past about 45yds there is a noticeable shift in my grouping. My bottom pin is my slider and when dialing it out say at 60yds I’ll shoot 6-9 arrows and they will be grouped in about a 4” circle however the group is about 10” low on the target. I did a multi yard test where I fired 1 arrow at 50-60-70 they all hit within a 3” area so figure whatever error it is I’m consistently doing it.

Could this be similar to parralax error on an optic and I’ve reached my distance wall for the setup (peep/eyeball/sight combo)? Thank y’all in advance for the help.

Equipment- Triax 65lb 28.5” Axis UA 29”-340 100gn iQ Pro Hunter sight

more than likely your not positioning the pin in the center of the peep when you move the peep up

Comment

I'm just guessing,with out seeing you shoot. But with one arrow at them distance you hold steady through the shot. When shooting multi shots you are peeking just a bit to see your groupings. Again just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
        more than likely your not positioning the pin in the center of the peep when you move the peep up
        I’m assuming your talking about a slider where the housing moves which would make perfect sense. The housing is stationary on this one just the bottom pin is moving, but I’ll flirt with the peep alignment to see how it affect impact.
        Last edited by QACZ71; 03-04-2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doublea17 View Post
          I'm just guessing,with out seeing you shoot. But with one arrow at them distance you hold steady through the shot. When shooting multi shots you are peeking just a bit to see your groupings. Again just a guess.
          I’ve caught myself doing that but those usually wind up off to the right or when my front shoulder collapses they get a little wild down range. I’ll try and make note what happens after the shot next time out.

Been working on not torquing for my left and right, but can you torque up and down though? Also just measured the target it’s more like ~6-7” low thought my target was bigger lol
          Last edited by QACZ71; 03-04-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post
            Past about 45yds there is a noticeable shift in my grouping. My bottom pin is my slider and when dialing it out say at 60yds I’ll shoot 6-9 arrows and they will be grouped in about a 4” circle however the group is about 10” low on the target. I did a multi yard test where I fired 1 arrow at 50-60-70 they all hit within a 3” area so figure whatever error it is I’m consistently doing it.

Could this be similar to parralax error on an optic and I’ve reached my distance wall for the setup (peep/eyeball/sight combo)? Thank y’all in advance for the help.

Equipment- Triax 65lb 28.5” Axis UA 29”-340 100gn iQ Pro Hunter sight
            Sounds to me like it just isn't sighted in yet. If you can hold a 4" group, but the group is low, you need to move the pin lower. IOW, your tape is too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Sounds to me like it just isn't sighted in yet. If you can hold a 4" group, but the group is low, you need to move the pin lower. IOW, your tape is too fast.
              Printed a few different tapes to try hopefully after work tomorrow see if I can’t get this thing dialed in before May.

Comment

Printed a few different tapes to try hopefully after work tomorrow see if I can’t get this thing dialed in before May.
                Are you in the Higland Lakes area? If so, I am in Bertram and am happy to help if you need it (in person).

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  Are you in the Higland Lakes area? If so, I am in Bertram and am happy to help if you need it (in person).
                  Nope,I appreciate the offer though. I’m in Highlands near Houston/Baytown area.

Comment

Nope,I appreciate the offer though. I’m in Highlands near Houston/Baytown area.
                    If its a slider, odds are your anchor changes slightly as the housing drops, this happens due to as you center the housing in the peep you reach a point where its almost physically impossible to have the exact same anchor and the housing centered in your housing. This is one of the reasons I shoot a double pin in my Fast Eddie XL... once I get past 40 I use the lower pin, so my anchor stay the "same" for a while longer. Just my experience, ymmv.

Comment

If your left / right is spot on it's the tape. All I use are sliders. What peep are you using?

Comment

I believe you can move the sight till you hit more the area for say 60 yards then measure with a caliper or piece of paper mark that distance then match it up to the tape, then it should be really close to be correct. Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                          If its a slider, odds are your anchor changes slightly as the housing drops, this happens due to as you center the housing in the peep you reach a point where its almost physically impossible to have the exact same anchor and the housing centered in your housing. This is one of the reasons I shoot a double pin in my Fast Eddie XL... once I get past 40 I use the lower pin, so my anchor stay the "same" for a while longer. Just my experience, ymmv.
                          The housing does not move on this site only my bottom pin.

Originally posted by GyrPer1 View Post
                          If your left / right is spot on it's the tape. All I use are sliders. What peep are you using?
                          It’s slightly drifting right further I get out, but consistent. Still working on making my left and right better (@70yds. 5” horizontal group only about 2” vertical) Honestly I’m not sure. It’s a standard peep that it was built with.

Originally posted by clffrdfdge View Post
                          I believe you can move the sight till you hit more the area for say 60 yards then measure with a caliper or piece of paper mark that distance then match it up to the tape, then it should be really close to be correct. Make sense?
                          Kind of tried this yesterday and pushed the pin to 85yds and “lowered” my peep to make it group at 70yds.
                          Didn’t think about running the tapes with calipers would make it a lot easier than playing musical tapes. I’ll give that a go this evening nice to finally have some light at the end of the day.

It’s like it falling off past 60. To 52ish yards the tape is almost dead on.

Comment

Are you centering the scope or the pin in the peep when you shoot?
                            If centering the scope there is no need to adjust the anchor, it should be the same at all distance.
                            If centering the pin, then go back to centering the scope, that is why the bottom pin is movable and not the whole scope.

Left and right could be a rest adjustment (bareshaft or walk-back tune) or it could be 3rd axis adjustment.

Maybe we should do some bareshaft tuning before we get too far down the road on the sight. The reason I say that is, if the error is due to poor arrow flight, contact or something like that, the sight tape will give you a wrong answer.

Comment

If form is close to perfect then these are the factors that could cause that:

—Fletching contact can become more noticeable the further you go out
                              —Cams could be out of tune
                              —on your tape if you sight in at 20 then get it dead on at 60-70 yards then mark both that distance between 20 & 60 should get you the right tape
                              —form wise are you pulling through your shot?
                              —is the shot surprising you when it goes off?
                              —are you floating the pin or are you trying to hold it dead on?

Comment

Working...
                              X