Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeders

Just got on a lease and i need a feeder, first time on lease and using a feeder. I have barrel baited before, but for bears (a little different). What do you find more effective, a gravity fed feeder that broadcasts corn? Or just one tha feeds into a tube/pvc pipe? The lease has deer, hogs & turkey, all of which i want to harvest. Not a trophy hunter, more of a meat hunter. Also, I’m looking for any advice given to this style of hunting. Thanks for your time & information.

Get a 12v broadcast type feeder. Something with an eliminator spin plate or coon cage it.

PVC feeders will have you refilling ever 2-3 days unless hogs find it and they will break it in 2 minuets

Also stake feeder legs down on day 1. Hogs will push legs apart and knock over any feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Get a 12v broadcast type feeder. Something with an eliminator spin plate or coon cage it.

PVC feeders will have you refilling ever 2-3 days unless hogs find it and they will break it in 2 minuets

Also stake feeder legs down on day 1. Hogs will push legs apart and knock over any feeder

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      This. Every bit of it!

A few other things to consider based on your budget. I have a 12V, “Eliminator plate” with “The Timer”, anchored on flowerpot size concrete footings to keep the hogs from turning it over. The plate keeps the varmints out, but I need a ladder to fill it though.

There are “low boy” feeders that sit on a tire or sled. They seem pretty hog proof and can be filled from the ground. They auger corn upward to be broadcast. I’ll say these are about $500+.

If you have about $1500+, a guy I know sales an “air cannon” feeder that is low to the ground and blasts a pound or so of corn about 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I were you, I would seriously consider this feeder and they are a site sponsor.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728119

Comment

ASF makes really good feeders, but itÂ’s all about preference and trial and error. You can always build a fence with T post and hog panels around your feeder to keep the hogs out

Comment

Lamco gets my vote. Their “stand and fill” or “low and throw” feeders are awesome. They aren’t cheap but made well.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Just get a 55 gal metal drum weld are screw some kinda of brackets to slide like 1”1/4 conduit over for legs then put a moultrie pro hunter spinner and timer on it you can get out the door for less than a 100 bucks . And will work for along time .If your bow hunting the feeder be sure to put you up a couple stands for different wind directions. Deer tend to circle down wind from your feeders.
              Last edited by Hoss163; 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Feeder

Thanks for all the advice. Not wanting to spend a lot on a feeder right now. Thinking about making my own. I’m definitely going to put up a hog fence around it. What’s a great corn spinner to consider to put on a barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by flcrkr View Post
                  Thanks for all the advice. Not wanting to spend a lot on a feeder right now. Thinking about making my own. I’m definitely going to put up a hog fence around it. What’s a great corn spinner to consider to put on a barrel?
                  Here’s the deal with feeder hunting

If your gonna hunt one... it has to work. If it don’t or isn’t dependable you have wasted your time, a hunt and money.

I have 2 6v left. I HATE hunting feeders other than pigs but even at that once these are done (maybe sooner) that’s it. 12v ONLY. anything else is trash. It’s $25-$35 more for 50x the dependability and coverage. The coverage for deer is critical. They don’t like being shoulder to shoulder eating. All the motors are basically the same. Timers are all that’s different. Most name brands will all be dependable (I like “The Timer”) west Texas feeder supply is a good option. Should get one $100 -/+ vs $45 for a pile of $&&% that I promise will leave you hanging when you need it

Barrel and lid - $10
                  Weld on some legs-$30 if you had to buy it all

Done. Quality feeder. NO plastic anything!!!! Squirrels will eat a hole in a week

Low & throw.... stand and fill are all the rage now. I don’t like them personally. From the ground or a tree they block waaaayyyyy to much shooting opportunities. Not worth it to me. I fill it 3 times a year. It’s worth the extra 5 minutes total time for that much more shot opportunity during the years hunts. But that’s my opinion yours could be different

Comment

Everlast motor unit. Comes with “the timer” which is the best timer I’ve used.

The last spintech I bought basically fell apart after 2-3 months.

Comment

Personally I like stand and fills, I got tired of cables breaking on crank ups or having to climb up and down a ladder. Brand is up to you, I have a all seasons and it’s been the most dependable feeder ive messed with. Depending on your budget, the buccees 600 lb feeder made by all seasons is a great deal. My most recent is a homemade job from scrap pipe and angle, I just used the barrel I had on my crankup and so far it’s working great.

IMO the loss of shot opportunity behind the feeder isn’t that big of a deal especially when it’s so much easier to fill. Animals move around when they are feeding so sooner or later you’ll get a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by flcrkr View Post
                        Like I said the moultrie with the digital timer put a solar panel on it you have about a 65 dollar set up that will last many years .

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

This^^^. Don't go 6 volt, you'll regret it. 12 volt, a good coon cage and eliminator spin plate. If you can go a little extra I'd go with a solar panel and make sure you get a little flexible metal conduit to run the wires through ( from the panel to the unit). A 55 gallon metal barrel (not plastic) and some good stout metal pipe legs (I love to use the 11 foot fencing posts) . Better to spend a little money the first time than to spend it on the rebuild. Oh, and use T-posts to stake it down. Seen too many turned over feeders when guys just use rebar or something like that.

Comment

my Moultrie 6v with plastic barrel is doing just fine, thank you. Lots of hogs around it, still considering fencing it in with short hog panels.

Comment

Do Y’all have a problem with the plastic feeders cracking in sun?

Comment

Working...
                              X