DIY firepit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY firepit

So i decided i am in need of a firepit to keep at my land for campfires and to cook on. I was going to start with a tank end but i was not able to find one in my area. Instead, i called the metal supply and they sheared me a 36" square and four 10" tall side plates out of 1/4" plate. I have some pipe i will make the legs out of and angle and mesh to make a cooking grate out of. I am trying to figure out if inwant the grate to swing or just be removable all together. I could weld a couple horseshoes on as handles and just set it to the side when we are not cooking. As of right now the only pic i have is of the raw material i got from the metal yard. As of now i have $125 in material. If you have any ideas let me know, as I have never built one, but it seems like a pretty cheap build so I may be making another soon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I put horseshoes on my disc cooker years ago and they get hot. Consider sliding a big coil spring over each before welding on. Less metal contact with horseshoe will be cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagging this one for follow up. Interested to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My suggestion on the cooking grate is to make it swing, this will give you the ability to move away from high heat and have the option to adjust your cooking temp. Obviously you will want to be able to remove the cooking grate when not cooking.

Comment

Make you a little ash shovel, and then cut a few holes for it to drain the rain water. If you keep it cleaned out, it will last allot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            My suggestion on the cooking grate is to make it swing, this will give you the ability to move away from high heat and have the option to adjust your cooking temp. Obviously you will want to be able to remove the cooking grate when not cooking.
            Im trying to figure out how to make it swing. If I make it swing i think the grate would need extra supports.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Make you a little ash shovel, and then cut a few holes for it to drain the rain water. If you keep it cleaned out, it will last allot longer.
              great idea!

Comment

I stopped by hootens hardware in emory this morning and got to take a look at the pits they have for sale. After being asked to buy a loaf of banana bread from a recovering heroin addict, I got to steal an idea to make the swinging grate. They used a trailer jack and set it inside a piece of pipe thats welded to the inside of the pit.

Comment

The jack is an interesting idea!

Comment

They stole my idea..

Comment

The trailer jack can withstand the heat? I’m surprised there aren’t any plastic seals or grease on the screw- but I’ve never taken one apart.

Great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        They stole my idea..

those dirty suckers sure did,lol.

Comment

got the box tacked up. now time to work on the legs.

Comment

legs on and capped off the bottoms.

Comment

Working...
                            X