No announcement yet.

Any lineman on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are open to other career opportunities for Vets, check this school out.

It is a program created by General Richard Myers called MediSend. They train vets to repair and maintain bio-medical equipment and you are guaranteed a job upon completion of the 6 month program. It's located in Dallas.

This associate degree in biomedical engineering technology is innovative, intensive & can be completed in 6 months! Apply Today!

Good luck in whatever career you choose and thanks for your service.

A little advice from another old 11B grunt. Find something you love to do and it will never feel like work.
    Last edited by Froggy; 01-23-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Also gonna add if you do consider one of the cable phone providers it's AT&T or none in my opinion. I worked for AT&T and Time Warner. AT&T you show to work on time keep you nose clean and do your job you get a raise every six months automatically until you reach top pay in five years or less. If you have any experience with hand tools or computer they will give you service credit on the pay scale for starting pay. Time Warner paid half of what AT&T paid and did same work and harder to get raises.

AT&T no rolling out on outage unless you move to splicing.

Time Warner you will roll out once you move to repairman and it never fails it's for some kid that is getting lag on his Xbox live.

Comment

I was a line man for ATT for 28 years. It was decent pay and decent retirement with decent benefits but it was hard on the body. It will keep you fit though.

Comment

No personal experience but a former marine buddy of mine went to that school in Denton. Got hired on with one of the Co-Ops in Victoria (STEC?) and really enjoyed it but his wife didn't like Victoria so now he's doing Contract Lineman work out of Denver.

Shoot me a PM and I'll pass along his phone number if you've got any questions.

Comment

Why not stay in HVAC? Talk to one of the OEM factory service companies (Carrier, Trane, Johnson) about hiring on as an apprentice tech/mechanic? It would be a Union job with 5 years of school
            (Correction..... I think Trane went non-union)
            Good luck

Comment

Do you live in Paris?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                Why not stay in HVAC? Talk to one of the OEM factory service companies (Carrier, Trane, Johnson) about hiring on as an apprentice tech/mechanic? It would be a Union job with 5 years of school
                (Correction..... I think Trane went non-union)
                Good luck
                That's exactly what I would do...10 years out start my own shop

Comment

Originally posted by dhmc03 View Post
                  Electric Co Op, if your gonna do it
                  This!

Shoot me a pm and I’ll give you my number so that we can talk. 20+ years as a lineman and Superintendant. Now I’m a safety manager for a cooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by JWF View Post
                    Do you live in Paris?
                    Yes Sir, I do live in Paris.

Comment

I have thought about going to another company like Carrier, Trane etc.. but I personally don’t want to continue to go down the HVAC path. Plus if I do on to continue to lineman school there is a better chance of me getting a job locally. I’d like to not uproot my family for the 4th time in less than 3 years.

Comment

A good friend of mine worked as a lineman for the city here, retired after 32 years and is now selling the stuff he installed. Doing well. Climbed poles and dug holes for 10 or so then got promoted up the chain until he was the warehouse manager. Steady work, didn't have to travel much, had to put up with city politics and BS, but not a bad gig overall.

Comment

I am a veteran and I work for an electrical cooperative. Go to Denton and go do it now. Wonderful job and stable.

Comment

Originally posted by 11B View Post
                            Yes Sir, I do live in Paris.

Oncor is in that area and they will most likely be the biggest money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X