No announcement yet.

Property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limits need to be put in place. Before federal income tax the major tax source was booze and tobaccy. I'd for sure go back to those days if I could change it. Now we have income tax AND these taxes.

Separate than our ridiculous property taxes. Mine are okay but the stuff i read is ridiculous. Need limits on valuation jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
      Limits need to be put in place. Before federal income tax the major tax source was booze and tobaccy. I'd for sure go back to those days if I could change it. Now we have income tax AND these taxes.

Separate than our ridiculous property taxes. Mine are okay but the stuff i read is ridiculous. Need limits on valuation jumps.
      When was that? When majority of folks rode "locomotives" and polio was the leading cause of death?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        You can spell so you're not that dumb...I don't think.

Paying taxes is fine with most people. The issue is they always raise the tax rate. That's 100% BS

If they could run off a lower tax rate 20 years ago they should be able to run off a lower tax rate now (with more people paying taxes). Taxes should go down, not up.
        Agreed
        They blow money on stupid **** just because they can blow money on stupid ****. They are very good at creating more stupid ****. I'm not real sure what the solution is but I think starting with a max of say 5k for everyone....no exemptions would be a good start.
        Find a max and make these taxing authorities figure out how to live in those limits

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Following![emoji2962]
          I have a firm on retainer that challenges my property taxes every year or so. It is such a screwed up system.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
          Lots of people making lots of money on the "system". We arent one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            I handle property taxes at work. We have property in around 100 counties. About 80 in Texas, and the rest spread out around a few other states. To say it is a screwed up system is an understatement. By far the most frustrating part of my job.
            I have to pay Personal Property tax on my delivery truck, inventory tax to the county as well.

Two years ago the county sent me a letter with a satellite image looking down on my home. On the image was my delivery truck parked next to my metal building, the letter said I would need to start paying taxes on the additional building(delivery truck) I put up. They had it measured out and said tax would be 460.00 a year.

So I drove the "storage building" down to the assessors office and made the girl walk outside to show her the "storage building". I told her you charge me 2600.00 a year in personal property taxes for this truck and now you decide to call it a "storage building" and charge 460.00 extra. They fixed it.

Last year when I got my personal property tax for the truck the value went up 60,000.00. I protested the tax and asked how a truck increases in value when they should depreciate. A day before my hearing the assessor calls and said they made a mistake and included my personal pick up truck in the personal property tax and they were sorry.

Can you imagine how many people do not catch those things and the county wont say chit about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              I have to pay Personal Property tax on my delivery truck, inventory tax to the county as well.

Two years ago the county sent me a letter with a satellite image looking down on my home. On the image was my delivery truck parked next to my metal building, the letter said I would need to start paying taxes on the additional building(delivery truck) I put up. They had it measured out and said tax would be 460.00 a year.

So I drove the "storage building" down to the assessors office and made the girl walk outside to show her the "storage building". I told her you charge me 2600.00 a year in personal property taxes for this truck and now you decide to call it a "storage building" and charge 460.00 extra. They fixed it.

Last year when I got my personal property tax for the truck the value went up 60,000.00. I protested the tax and asked how a truck increases in value when they should depreciate. A day before my hearing the assessor calls and said they made a mistake and included my personal pick up truck in the personal property tax and they were sorry.

Can you imagine how many people do not catch those things and the county wont say chit about it.

Yeah. I deal with stuff like that all the time. It’s incredible how difficult they will make it to solve even the simplest issues. Tax offices in other states I deal with are usually great. Very easy to deal with and they don’t act like you’re burdening them with a phone call. I can call an office in Mississippi and just say “hey I think you overvalued that property, it should be this” I’ll get a corrected statement within the hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Paying taxes is fine with most people. The issue is they always raise the tax rate. That's 100% BS

If they could run off a lower tax rate 20 years ago they should be able to run off a lower tax rate now (with more people paying taxes). Taxes should go down, not up.
                It isn’t the tax rate I take issue with, it’s the fuzzy math they use to “valuate” property. They never have to raise the tax rate, just inflate the values

Comment

Huh?
                  You have more teachers and policemen making more money than they did 20 years ago
                  You also have more things you have to pay for
                  20 years ago You didn't need fiber optic cabling to be run in every elementary school (today you do)

Why do I have to explain this stuff?

It's all numbers, man. Pure math.
                  Didn't the fire fighters in Houston just get some big pension thing they won? That will cost the city more money and it was an expense that the city did not have 20 years ago, not even 20 weeks ago.
                  So the city of Houston needs to find a way to pay for all these pensions that just got dropped in their lap and the way to go it is cut other things out raise taxes.
                  Since nobody likes their programs cut (squeezing more kids per classroom for example) then they will raise taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Agreed
                    They blow money on stupid **** just because they can blow money on stupid ****. They are very good at creating more stupid ****. I'm not real sure what the solution is but I think starting with a max of say 5k for everyone....no exemptions would be a good start.
                    Find a max and make these taxing authorities figure out how to live in those limits
                    This is that stupid sheet the city finds ways to spend more money they don't have

Within the next few years I'm sure the teachers will go on strike with their hands out for more money too

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      It isn’t the tax rate I take issue with, it’s the fuzzy math they use to “valuate” property. They never have to raise the tax rate, just inflate the values
                      Bingo, they are killing me raising my value substantially every year. They are taxing me out of my retirement home.

Comment

I would prefer a sales tax to property tax. That way everyone can contribute to the system. It would also allow a person to actually own property free and clear. If a person is going through a rough time financially they can cut their spending those reducing their tax paid. If they're going through a rough time financially currently there is nothing they can do to cut their property and are then at risk of losing it if they dont have the money to pay. Late fees and interest will eat them alive in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          I would prefer a sales tax to property tax. That way everyone can contribute to the system. It would also allow a person to actually own property free and clear. If a person is going through a rough time financially they can cut their spending those reducing their tax paid. If they're going through a rough time financially currently there is nothing they can do to cut their property and are then at risk of losing it if they dont have the money to pay. Late fees and interest will eat them alive in a few years.
                          I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                            I agree completely.
                            Yep! The state gets the taxes they need...and if you don't want to pay taxes, there is a simple solution. Don't buy anything.

Comment

I filed homestead exemption when I turned 65. My taxes are now less than a tank of gas but I still have to pay. Tarrant County.

Comment

In Texas, there are several types of exemptions that can help seniors. ... Over 65 Exemption: In addition to the $25,000 exemption that all homestead owners receive, those age 65 or older qualify for a $10,000 homestead exemption for school taxes.May 17, 2016

I file for my exemption in 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X