Hunter style sausage and boudin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunter style sausage and boudin

Is it normal for most people who duck hunt to say... You can have my ducks! I some how was gifted (if you want to call it that) a 6 man limit of ducks from our hunt last week. I probably spent a few hours cussing as I was plucking some and breasting some while keeping the livers, hearts and gizzards from all the ducks. Plus keeping all carcasses for making stock.. I'll start out by saying I HATE liver but i also don't like wasting things if i can help it. So with all these ducks I followed Hank Shaw's recipes for Hunter style duck sausage and boudin using the livers, gizzards and hearts. Both sausage turned out great for my first run.The hunter style sausage has a good duck flavor spiced with the caraway seed and juniper berries. The taste of the boudin is spot on but I will add more stock next time even though i thought my mix was really wet before casing it. I smoked the boudin over hickory for 3 hours. We also made a few boudin balls from the leftover and it was GOOD!

A recipe for duck sausage, done hunter's style with caraway, juniper and sage. This is a perfect recipe for wild ducks or wild geese.

A Louisiana boudin sausage recipe. Boudin is meat and rice and vegetables in a casing, a Cajun favorite. Here's how to make it at home.
    Attached Files

Looks good. Will have to give that a try

Comment

Looks very good! The joy off all that hard work! You reap what you sow!

Comment

Looks amazing

Comment

I have never seen "Good Duck Flavor" used in a sentence!
          But I will take your word.

Comment

I made that duck sausage last year using the same recipe from Hank. It's good stuff.

Comment

Looks good. What kind of birds was it?

Comment

Looks very good!

Comment

Impressive!

Duck makes great boudain and sausage. Be very careful to track down and make sure theres no shot left in the meat. Really easy to break a tooth and foks forget its duck and chomp down hard. Shooting larger shot sizes will reduce the amount of pellets you have to worry about and make it easier to find. Shooting them on the water equals no shot in the meat too.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
                    Looks good. What kind of birds was it?
                    I used a few gadwalls, blue and cinnamon teal, and few lesser scaups.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      Impressive!

Duck makes great boudain and sausage. Be very careful to track down and make sure theres no shot left in the meat. Really easy to break a tooth and foks forget its duck and chomp down hard. Shooting larger shot sizes will reduce the amount of pellets you have to worry about and make it easier to find. Shooting them on the water equals no shot in the meat too.
                      Yea after grinding and simmering the meat I strained the mixture and found a few shot. It will definitely chip a tooth if you bite into one.

Comment

Wow, those sausages look good. I kinda feel hungry.

Comment

Working...
                        X