Hog skull damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog skull damage

Here's yet another reminder to show us how tough these dern hogs are. I killed this hog with 2 shots from my 30-30 into his lungs. He was over 300 pounds.

It appears that some time ago he was shot in the head with a ballistic tip or hollow point. The bullet fragmented and ran down his skull with one fragment ending above his tooth. The other fragment went out the back and shattered his neck vertebrae.

It's a pretty neat euro mount and I told the taxi that the only thing cooler would have been a broadhead in the skull.

Here's the hole above the eye. You can see the bone repair to the right of it.

The lead lodged above the tooth.

The shattered vertebrae.

I probably should have taken a picture of the entire skull, too. I'll get that tonight.

Dang, tough SOB for sure

Comment

Thats a very cool euro! They are so dang tough. First hog I ever shot with my bow had been shot before with a rifle, complete pass through, mid body. Looks like it was just too far back to catch lungs. Would have never known looking at him.

Comment

Wow, very interesting. They are tough for sure. Thanks for sharing

Comment

That’s a great euro and one heck of a story. Congrats!

Comment

Is there a path from the entry wound to the tooth? Is that fragment lodged in the mandible, or was it loosely inside the skin?

Comment

My uncle killed a big one at Diamond C a few years back that had a fix blade broadhead lodged flush in his skull. I'll try and find a picture but the euro is pretty cool!

Comment

This is why I hate to hear about people hunting with ballistic tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool!

I had one take a Remington 12ga sabot slug to the 4head like a champ

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    This is why I hate to hear about people hunting with ballistic tips.
                    Huh?

Comment

Wonder what a 10MM with a 230 grain double tap load would have done to that skull ? Heck of a lot better than an expanding bullet I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                        Wonder what a 10MM with a 230 grain double tap load would have done to that skull ? Heck of a lot better than an expanding bullet I’d say.

You don’t even have to hit them with a 10mm. The mystical powers will kill it on the way by.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          You don’t even have to hit them with a 10mm. The mystical powers will kill it on the way by.

I stopped carrying my .45 for the 10 just for this reason, well actually for black bear which are likewise heavy boned.

Thank God, haven’t had to find out yet. Lol [emoji23] Seen that Razor Dobbs do some crazy 10MM things.

Comment

Very cool, they are some tough SOB'S

Comment

IMO a boar hog is the toughest animal in the Americas.

Comment

Working...
                              X