My Best New Year's Day Ever- Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Best New Year's Day Ever- Pic Heavy

I could not have dreamed up a better way to start 2019. I'm still on cloud 9 as a Dad and as a hunter for what my boys and I accomplished yesterday evening.

My 7 year old twins, Caiden and Drake, were both able to take their 1st Deer just 45 minutes apart last nite. To say they were pumped would be an understatement. The funny thing is my dad had told the boys over Christmas break last week in MS that I killed my first deer when I was 7 years old, so they were dead set on doing the same.

It was Drake's turn to shoot this day since his brother had already killed a hog back in August and his first dove in September too so needless to say Drake was due to get his chance.

About 445pm I saw movement back in the woods behind the feeder and a long horned spike was headed our way. I got the boy's attention and had Drake come up beside me and shoulder the gun which I had on a Triggerstick. Once the deer got into range I eased the window open and he got on him quick with the scope. He was breathing so hard and shaking and I think maybe ol Dad was too...Lol
    I told him he had plenty of time and to let the deer get broadside and just calm his breathing. Once the deer got 90% broadside I told him to put it just behind his shoulder and squeeze off. I had just barely gotten it out of my mouth when he laid the hammer down. The deer did the dead leg reaction and jumped a low fence into the woods and I could see he was going down. Drake looked at me grinning ear to ear and he was still shaking so bad it was an awesome moment. He and his brother hugged and high-fived and started recapping the shot.

They were ready to go find him right then but I reminded them we had over an hour left of daylight and that Caiden may could get a shot too if we waited, so they decided we'd wait and give it some time.

The feeder went off about 515pm, and sure enough some does started coming through the woods about 10 minutes later. They were a little more spooky as our wind was right at them, but we were in the trusty Krivoman blind and I had an Ozonics running for good measure. They finally calmed down enough and jumped the fence and a big doe made her way up to the corn. I already had Caiden shouldered and ready with the .243, we were just waiting for her to calm down enough to open the window. She never knew we opened it and he put the crosshairs on her and I took the gun off safety and I couldn't get the words out of "Shoot when you are ready..." before he popped her. She dropped like a ton of bricks and did the bulldozer under the fence and into the woods. I knew she wouldn't be far.

Now it was really celebration time. The boys were dancing in the blind, hugging, high-fiving, and just laughing and smiling so hard. It was a memory I'll never forget, especially when they both hugged me and told me how much they loved me and how happy they were to get their first deer. Talk about getting choked up! I said a quick prayer and thanked the good Lord for blessing us with that memory that we'll share forever.

We got out of the blind and walked over to where they shot and found some blood. We waited on my buddy James to bring the truck up to where we were. I had put him in a stand to bowhunt that afternoon and turns out he would be a tremendous help that nite with 2 deer down. We started walking in the woods and hadn't gone 10 yards before finding Caiden's doe. We were all admiring her when I shined the light ahead and saw a white belly. Drake's spike was literally laying about 10 yards away from the doe. I couldn't believe it, both of their first deer hadn't gone 20-25 yards total and were laying 10 yards from each other.

We got them both out and setup for the boys to take some pictures and then got them field dressed down by the creek where we introduced the boys to the tradition of putting blood on their face to welcome them to the brotherhood of deer hunters...they loved it and wore it with pride!

All in all I don't think I could've scripted a better "1st deer" memory with my 2 best buddies. New Year's Day 2019 will forever be etched in our hearts and is one heckuva way to start 2019!

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and hope 2019 blesses the Green Screen richly!
    Attached Files

Very cool! Congrats to everyone!

Comment

Best story I've read on TBH in a long time. Parenting done right sir. Congrats to both kids and to you sir.

Comment

Great job all around congrats!

Comment

Awesomeness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So awesome man. Congrats all around!

Comment

Awesome experience. I can't wait for this coming year hoping to put my 15-year-old daughter on her first buck.

Comment

Pure awesome!
                Big congrats to all!

Comment

Way to go boys!

Comment

never heard of the blood on the face thing ??? COngrats on the hunt for sure

Comment

Supercool! Congrats to all

Comment

Atta boys.

Comment

Always great when kids shoot deer...AND get super excited when doing it.

Curious why one did a neck shot and the other a broadside shoulder shot.

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Great job.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X