Home Remodel Cost ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Remodel Cost ??

Alright, I know this is a totally open ended question but I figured somebody on here could at least let me know a general idea what I am in for. I bought my grandfathers place last year with the intention of redoing the house and living in it. It is a pier and beam ranch-style house just a shade over 2000sf and was built in 1968. It has a brick surround with a beams running around for the brick to rest on. It's the original kitchen, linoleum floors, paneling, original bathroom fixtures. The only things really "wrong" with the house is the brick beams have settled and they are going to need to be redone so the house can be re-bricked or we'll have to come up with something else for the exterior. Wiring is also 2 wire.

Would like to pretty much go to the studs and bring it back to life as a more modern house. Would also like to get rid of the flat pitch roof and increase the pitch so that some dormers can be added to give it a little nicer look.

Again, I know that what we do will determine the cost but I'm just wondering what we may be in for.....$60k, $150k, $200k???

Thanks

The TV show "FIXER UPPER", out of Waco does exactly that. All of the remodels are in the Waco Texas area. I think if you watched a few of those (in Fast Forward on DVR) you would see just what you are looking for, and probably get a reasonable idea of cost too.

Comment

As you know it could be any of those. I would gut the house to the studs, then get contractors over to give you a quote for what your wanting done. Contractor should be able to give you a better estimate when they can see all the framing/electrical/plumbing.

Comment

I just finished up remodel of my wife's family home in Port Isabel. I only did the second floor which was about 1700sf. Took part of it down to the studs, added a kitchen up there, new a master suite with bathroom, new electrical, refreshed the other bathroom, new vinyl plank flooring, new paint, all new Ply gem windows (including downstairs), a 6x6 picture window. I subbed most of it. Totaled about $80k and I did not scrimp on fixtures and got a granite top kitchen with 6" island. Open floor concept. Labor cheaper down here.

Comment

All depends on the finished quality you desire...you could DIY for 35-40k and make it nice, or pay pros and spend 150k or more.

I recently reworked my 1956 ranch house, 2200 sq.ft. (4 bed, 3 bath, 2 kitchens) myself with some contractor help. I didnt go to studs everywhere, only in the kitchen, and I'm about 26k in but increased the value from 77 sq.ft. to 105 sq.ft. (1 year later) electrical, flooring, walls, ceiling. Cabinets, counters, etc...

Comment

Get multiple bids and definitely follow up with referrals.

Comment

I did my pier and beam house. 80% me and 20% subbed out.
              Added 16x20 room. Took it to the studs and removed the floor. Added beans under the house as well. All new wiring and plumbing, new rpaned roof. Front porch. Basically built a new house.
              All in it was very close to 60k

Comment

We gutted our 2100 sqft house to the studs (redid electrical, plumbing, hot water heaters, etc), added 750 sqft 2-story addition, opened up walls in the main living area and finished it out very nicely for 245k.

Comment

remodel

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                  The TV show "FIXER UPPER", out of Waco does exactly that. All of the remodels are in the Waco Texas area. I think if you watched a few of those (in Fast Forward on DVR) you would see just what you are looking for, and probably get a reasonable idea of cost too.
                  I don't see how they do what they do for the prices they are quoting on that show. Seems the costs are way off from what I hear about...

Comment

More than you're told.

I'd guess 150-200k

Comment

Plan for a 20% contingency needed on top of whatever budget you agree on with the contractors. the roof and electrical alone could easily run you $20K to 30K and the foundation and exterior could be a huge variable. Any HVAC or plumbing updates? moving any walls?

once you get a budget, calculate your cost per sq ft post improvements. could you sell it for that in your market if you needed to get out of this house?

Comment

Got a sister in law with a home in a similar situation. Approx. 2,300 SF home; needed sheet rock work on all walls & ceilings, texturing/painting entire home, new flooring throughout, plumbing redone (galvanized pipe to flex) update master bath, etc. Foundation was fine and not much in structural work was required.

Their bids came in around $100-120K depending on types of materials, etc., including the OH/Profit for the contractor.

Seemed like the sheet rock work and painting were close to 25% of the budget, because there was so much of it.

As stated, get multiple bids and check references. Few ideas provided to them to reduce cost included -
                        - DIY on demo as much as possible
                        - DIY on installing appliances and fixtures if possible
                        - Utilize same color paint and sheet rock texture throughout
                        - Painter sub also gave a better deal for allowing his crew to attack the entire house at once

It was still pretty pricey. Also may want to check with a local realtor or listing agent on nearby house comps to make sure the home value will increase in relation to the improvement budget.

Comment

It will mostly be determined on how much you do and what type of materials you go in with. My wife spent $44k on materials alone for our master bath. Just got finished with the kitchen and she spent $22k on countertops. I would imagine if I would have been cutting pennies on materials we could have bought materials for both projects for $20k

Comment

$100-125k
                            For what you want to do, you basically have a foundation and dried in home. If it needs leveling and depending on what you do with roofline, you could easily add $50k to those numbers.
                            Last edited by mfarmer; 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: add to

Comment

My work schedule doesn't allow me to a lot of big projects around the house. Spoke to a couple guys today that do this and they said I should go into this with at least $150k in my head. With that in mind, I'm thinking I may just be better off selling it to be moved and start from scratch with what I want. Even when I'm done it will still be an old pier and beam house. Could build a nice bardo for $200k.

Comment

Working...
                              X