No announcement yet.

Home Defense: would you use this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful using larger size buckshot in a home defense situation. When fired inside a house, heavy buckshot tends to penetrate through several sheetrock walls possibly putting unintended people at risk. I'm definitely not an expert, but from what I've read and learned through live fire demonstrations.Larger size bird shot seems to be a very good choice for home defense purposes. If you feel buckshot is a must, look into #4 buck. #4 buck tends to only breach one or two walls, thus posing less of a risk to family members and loved ones. Ed

Comment

Figuring I'm going to be indoors,I've got 3 loads of #2s followed by 2 loads of #4 buck. If that don't do it I'm throwing it down and running.

Comment

Would I use them? As opposed to what....poking them in the eye with my finger? Hell yes...wouldn’t think twice about it.

Comment

Yup, good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
            Better use steel shot. Badguy could sue you for lead poisoning if he survives.
            What? Surely this is sarcasm.

Comment

I have an upland game bird load, 2 3/4 #6 in my home defense shotgun. You will never need anything else inside of the house.

I’ve been on many scenes where people have been shot with a shotgun and the vast majority of them were shot with birdshot. None of them were pretty.
              Last edited by UltraMax; 11-17-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I'd consider some Black Cloud BBB or something that at least comes in a "hunting" type box. Probably pointless, but lawyer who taught our carry class in MN made a good argument that a layperson on a jury and judge of a criminal or civil trial could easily be swayed to think that
                you're a big strong male full of hate and would be hunting man and just biding his time to scratch his itchy trigger finger, versus just being a hunter reacting as any person would to a home invasion. He basically said avoid exotic hand loads or anything other than a hunting load or the exact same thing your local LEO is authorized to use, or it's easy for a lawyer to paint you as just waiting for a chance to kill someone. Bird or buckshot are ugly at close range. I'll never forget watching COPS as a kid and seeing the big guy who got dusted in the back with birdshot at Mardi Gras in agony.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                  Figuring I'm going to be indoors,I've got 3 loads of #2s followed by 2 loads of #4 buck. If that don't do it I'm throwing it down and running.
                  This plan doesn't suck lol

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                    All depends on how much you feel your at risk. It would definitely stop or deter an unarmed man, but I would be more comfortable spending $20 on something that may stopped an armed person faster.
                    What would possibly stop someone faster? Doesn't buckshot/shotguns have the highest one shot stop percentages?

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      What would possibly stop someone faster? Doesn't buckshot/shotguns have the highest one shot stop percentages?
                      Last time I looked for 20 ga shells I was deciding between #7 and #9 TDS loads for turkey. I was looking at this post on my phone and when I saw 9 pellets, I subconsciously read #9 shot. I literally thought the OP was asking about dove shot when I posted that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                        Last time I looked for 20 ga shells I was deciding between #7 and #9 TDS loads for turkey. I was looking at this post on my phone and when I saw 9 pellets, I subconsciously read #9 shot. I literally thought the OP was asking about dove shot when I posted that, lol.

Ha I have never done anything like that

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          What? Surely this is sarcasm.
                          Yes I was joking. But the sad part is that it actually could happen in todays world.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            Buckshot will...
                            Oooppppssss

I thought that was #9

Comment

Go with the Hornady Zombie shells. Then you can say to the lawyers you were prepared for Zombies, but then this mofo broke in...

Comment

The smaller the shot for close quarters the better. Medically speaking. The damage is irreversible most of the time and if they go to surgery it’s a lot more time under the knife to remove all those pesky little pellets. There are added risks with strokes and pulmonary embolism not to mention... you get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X