Leaking rainwater tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking rainwater tank

I have a hairline crack on my 2500 gallon poly rainwater collection tank that starts at the top of the bulkhead and runs about 2 1/2 inches long. I emptied it and tried to plastic weld it last summer but it started leaking again a few months ago. Here is my next attempt at a fix. Epoxy and metal straps to counter the hydrostatic pressure. Hope this works. If not, I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mastro; 01-22-2019, 02:21 PM.

flex tape

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      flex tape
      Thought about it but couldn't convince myself that it would actually work.. :-).

Comment

Drill a small hole at each end of the crack. This will keep it from progressing. Then plastic weld and top it with a clear epoxy. Mine did the same thing in two places after cows got into camp and knocked it off the stand we build for it while it was half full. Had two cracks. I did as mentioned above and it's held now for three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
          Drill a small hole at each end of the crack. This will keep it from progressing. Then plastic weld and top it with a clear epoxy. Mine did the same thing in two places after cows got into camp and knocked it off the stand we build for it while it was half full. Had two cracks. I did as mentioned above and it's held now for three years.
          I did all of that except the "epoxy" part. If the current fix doesn't hold I'll give this a try...

Comment

Flex tape and flex seal. It really works.

Comment

Saw a guy weld a tank with a propane torch and plastic spoons. It held

Comment

Extrusion gun is used to weld poly. Could you cut a large circle and place a compression seal with a gasket in the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                  Saw a guy weld a tank with a propane torch and plastic spoons. It held
                  Wow! When there’s a will there’s a way..

Comment

Throw it away, I will take it off your hands...

Comment

Shouldn’t the patch be on the inside so the water pressure smushes it against the side of the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                        It works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                          Shouldn’t the patch be on the inside so the water pressure smushes it against the side of the tank?
                          It won't work on the outside that's fer dang sure. The hydrostatic pressure should hold it on the inside.

Comment

Crawl inside and use a flex seal tape patch. It will stick and stretch with the tank as it expands

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                              He’s right it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X