Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Question...Selling land w/out Realtor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Question...Selling land w/out Realtor???

I'm considering selling some land I own (title in hand) to my dad. I think it would be a waste of money to get a realtor involved but am not sure what the process would be to complete the transaction.

Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice? What are the steps?

At this point, i'm not sure if he would pay cash or take a loan and I'm not going to owner finance.

It would be best to find a local title company or real estate attorney to help you prepare the closing documents. Either would then be able to assist with having the new deed recorded by the county.

Comment

No need for a realtor for this transaction. Speak with a local real estate attorney and they can draw up the documents.

Comment

Little different process if he is going to finance. But still would not need a real estate agent.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
          No need for a realtor for this transaction. Speak with a local real estate attorney and they can draw up the documents.
          That's what my mom is currently doing. Contacted title company, survey company and RE attorney to divide the property and get it rolling. She mentioned she got low-balled by some guy with "cash in hand" but turned him down and now has another buyer so I assume he is probably going to finance it.

She did mention that she had issues with the county issuing an exact address since the property has never been developed or had an official driveway. I can't remember who it was requiring a exact address but she had to fanagle with someone to finally get it
          Last edited by BBReezen; 03-14-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Real estate is transferred with a deed, lawyer and title company can help you with that. Just a heads up, think through the tax consequences, I assume you dont want to waste money on taxes either.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
              Real estate is transferred with a deed, lawyer and title company can help you with that. Just a heads up, think through the tax consequences, I assume you dont want to waste money on taxes either.
              I'm picking up what you're putting down. Thanks

Comment

Starting to smell what I am stepping in?

Quick run down on a few things to consider.

In today’s blog post, I will discuss the income tax implications relating to the transfer of property among family members. These transfers often create significant income tax issues and can be either errors of commission or errors of omission.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                  Starting to smell what I am stepping in?

Quick run down on a few things to consider.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...tax-nightmare/
                  This is good information if the OP is transferring land in Canada?!?

Comment

Title company will give you all the forms needed. Part of the closing costs involves their title attorney as well to assure all the requirements are met. Done it myself several times as a FISBO (for sale my owner) without a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                      Title company will give you all the forms needed. Part of the closing costs involves their title attorney as well to assure all the requirements are met. Done it myself several times as a FISBO (for sale my owner) without a hitch.
                      This if no lien, if he is doing a loan, credit union/bank will walk you through the steps.

Comment

Google Warranty Deed Template.

Fill in the blanks.

Grantor is you

Grantee is your father

Legal description will need to be copied word for word directly from the Deed that conveyed the property to you.

Sign it and have it notarized.

File it at the County Clerk's Office.

Take a copy of the Deed to the County Appraisal District.

I'm a landman and have done real estate transactions with no title company or attorneys.

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post

Fill in the blanks.

Grantor is you

Grantee is your father

Legal description will need to be copied word for word directly from the Deed that conveyed the property to you.

I'm a landman and have done real estate transactions with no title company or attorneys.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some realtors will help with a contract, I think it cost me a few hundred bucks. They are used to filling out those and could get you on the right track. No need to actually list the property. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post

Fill in the blanks.

Grantor is you

Grantee is your father

I'm a landman, too, and I'd say you're walking a dangerous line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X