• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I would call him 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        Been stated on here a number of times that even the experts are usually at least +/- a year or two aging by tooth wear. Absent an ear tag and known age, I don't think you can ever do any better other than on an 18-month old deer with the 3-cusped 3rd premolar.

True the 3-cusped premolar is pretty much the only guarantee. Guys who age jaws more than the average hunter can get really close IMO. I'm no expert especially with West Texas deer. I think this one is 5.5, but I wanted others to weigh in so I can better educate myself. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Comment

Bumping this thread to the top. Age guess??? This deer was killed on the same ranch as OP’s last year. The jawbone is a little cleaner than AC’s.......thanks to some hungry beetles. [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            Bumping this thread to the top. Age guess??? This deer was killed on the same ranch as OP’s last year. The jawbone is a little cleaner than AC’s.......thanks to some hungry beetles. [emoji6]

Comment

First teeth 5.5 RascalArms teeth 6.5

Comment

mature.

mature.

Comment

Here's one for you jaw aging gurus

6.5+. It's more difficult to age past that age.
                  Based on width of dentyne compared to width of enamel, I am pretty certain.
                  Last edited by psicoo; 11-21-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

IMO he’s 6-1/2 on the enamel wear and exaposed dentin width. The fact his 4th tooth isn’t flattened down more doesn’t mean he isn’t 6-1/2. The 4th molar is dishing out though. The exposed dentin shows the wear through 5th and 6th molars and 4th molar has some dishing so I’d say 6-1/2. The enamel wear on the 5th and 6th tooth is there leading me to believe 6-1/2
                    If someone said he was 5-1/2 off of history I’d believe that too. Kind of a in between 5-6 on wear in my opinion but I’d call him 6

Joel’s jaw looks 7 to me Possibly 6

Last edited by KingsX; 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM.

Comment

After seeing 8 deer get aged this weekend at the TYHP I'm thinking I've been a year off on aging deer on that side of the state. I'm thinking mine may be 6 1/2 and Joel's 7 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        mature.

mature.
                        X2

Comment

I’ve researched this crap for years and I’m still confused...except for “no doubter” young deer with the 3rd cusp 3rd tooth or extremely OLD deer.
                          The middle aged adult deer between 4.5 and 6.5 are hard for me to judge. The dentin wear lines are hard to clearly define and less than exact IMO.
                          The cementum annuli “ring” technique is the most reliable accurate estimate of age but I ain’t spending the $ to send off to a special lab to find out.
                          Last edited by RascalArms; 11-22-2017, 07:44 AM.

Comment

AC jaw 5.5 max, too much crest left to be 6.5, RA jaw no less than 6.5, IMO there is a yr difference in age between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              AC jaw 5.5 max, too much crest left to be 6.5, RA jaw no less than 6.5, IMO there is a yr difference in age between the two.
                              This was my analysis too.

Comment

It’s my understanding (and it makes sense) that a deer’s diet can effect tooth wear or at least the appearance of tooth wear. All 3 permanent molars (tooth 4, 5 and 6) appear to be “dished” out here on my deer. That said, there’s a bunch of **** rock on our ranch so I wonder if he liked eating limestone? [emoji23] He even appears to have some damage between his last premolar and the first permanent molar (tooth 3 and 4). It seems pinched in.

Comment

Working...
                                X