hardiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardiboard

Isn't there a thin grade of hardiplank? Wouldn't it make good blind material.

I looked into that - the regular Hardiplank siding would be very durable but it's heavy and expensive.(probably what you were thinking) They also make HardiFlex which is a bit thinner - 6mm vs. 8mm - but it is made for trim - eaves, soffits, etc so its only comes in strips that are 24" wide. I like bowhuntingobsession's idea of using 1/4" Luann plywood. (see his thread on octagon blinds)
    Last edited by jerp; 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks, I figured it was pretty heavy.

Comment

I have a bedliner buisness, the company i use started out with products that are for coating and sealing concrete floors in dairy's to keep bacteria out. They have a product that I have experimented with on plywood. I have had two diffrent sheet's coated in the back yard for two years and no ill effects from weather. It comes in two parts and 1 gallon will coat 4 sheets of plywood. Cost about 80 bucks. I could send samples out for all that want them.
        for more info
        ktex101@hotmail.com

Comment

There's an OSB product called Smartside. One side is woodgrain textured and primed. It's impregnated with boric acid to keep the bugs out. I built a chicken coop with it about 4 years ago, never painted it, and it's good as new.

I left some scraps on the ground to walk on by the coop. They've been chicken scratched, crapped on, rained on, walked on, and left in the sun, ice and mud for the same 4 years. No swelling, delamination, cracking, nothing.

Home Depot sells it for about $20/sheet.

Comment

Sounds like good stuff

Comment

One of my buddies built some blinds to sell a few years back. The cadilac model used the stucco textured hardi-panels. Not only where they heavy as all get out, but once you started moving them around, the screws would kinda wollow out the hardi-panel and it got kinda loose. It's awesome for durability, but I think it's only an option if you either build the blind in place and leave it OR if you use a really good construction adhesive between the studs and panel.

Did I mention that you'll get a hernia moving the things?

Comment

yeah, I was thinking of the durability, but the weight is definately a deal killer for this material.

Comment

I have been looking for thin blind material also

Comment

I picked up a couple of plastic pallets for free the other day thinking they would make a good base for a ground blind (no rot), just trying to put together an idea for the rest of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X