Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to retrofit feeder with solar panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to retrofit feeder with solar panel?

Can somebody explain or show pics of how I should wire a solar panel to a feeder that originally wasn't made for a solar panel? I have the electrical know-how of a pre-schooler, so please don't worry about over explaining!

predatorsniper

I've only got one active system and my feeder controller uses the 6 volt battery. All I did was buy a solar panel (about 4 x 8 inches) with a red and black alligator clipped wires (Wal-Mart last year). I bought a rechargeable Moultrie 6v battery (also Wal-Mart) and just stuck it in the feeder box and attached the red and black controller (time or photo cell) wires to it. I followed this by getting some metal strapping, the kind that has two sizes of holes the entire length, and attached a piece long enough to mount it to the panel with the panel's existing screws and also enough to reach a screw or bolt and nut on the homemade varmit cage. The final piece is to connect the red and black wires to the positive and negative springs of the battery. The strapping material allows you to bend it and make it fit the back of the solar panel, plus twist it to allow the solar panel to face the sky, preferably the sun.

I did this cause I got tired of spending 5 to 6 bucks for the batteries on about a monthly basis. Its been well worth the initial expense and works like a charm. I don't have pics, but can probably get one if this isn't clear.

Comment

How is it then wired to the motor?

I have the 6v solar panel and the rechargable 6v battery that I will be putting on my feeder. My feeder motor (Triple C brand) came with red and black wires coming out of it that attach to the terminals of the battery.

If I understand correctly, the red and black wires from the solar panel attach to the battery in addition to the red and black wires that come from the motor. Right?

Again...thanks for the help.

predatorsniper
      Last edited by predatorsniper; 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Where is your controller? If you hook up the motor wires direct to the battery, it will just run until it drains the battery. The controller acts like a switch to connect the battery juice to the motor at a specific time and duration.

Otherwise, you have it correct. Just make sure the red wires hook to the positive side and the black to the negative side of the battery.

Comment

Its simple, just take the wires from the solar panel (red and black most likely) and connect them with some type of connector (shovel type or alligator clips) directly to the positive and negative terminals on the battery. You also hook your motor/timer directly to them as well. Pretty simple.

Comment

I appreciate it, guys. I was making it more difficult than it really was.

Thaks again!

predatorsniper

Comment

You can also add a blocking diode to your solar panel to keep it from draining the battery when it's not charging like when it is dark outside or the panel is not in direct sunlight. This is not necessary but it will extend your battery life.

Comment

Stratos:

I really appreciate the help, but you might as well have written that in Chinese. I'm electrically challenged to say the least!

If you have a part #/where to buy along with detailed pics of how to attach it, I MIGHT be able to do it without tearing anything up.

Again, I really do appreciate the help.

predatorsniper

Comment

Most of the solar panels (that I've seen) that are marketed for feeders already have a blocking diode.

Comment

Working...
                  X