New Camera suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Camera suggestion?

I hate to start ANOTHER thread about new cameras, but I couldn't find what I really wanted. I'm really wanting to jump into a new SLR and I'm not sure where to start. I'm leaning towards Canon because my digital point and shoots are canon and have had good luck with them. I have one Nikon and I'm not happy with it. I was looking at Canon's Rebel XSi. From what I understand this is a new camera for Canon. It's "in my budget". Also, from what I've learned so far, its more about the lens than the camera. Am I correct on that assumption? I was looking at an XSi kit that included the camera and a Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens. Is this a good set up to get me started with general (more advanced) photography? OR.... should I get a less expensive camera and focus (no pun) on getting the best lens I can afford? Perhaps the Rebel XT or XTi?

I really want to start getting better pictures of my hunts, time with family/friends/, cars, boats, etc etc. Advice on a proper lens/camera combos to start with is very much appreciated. Right now, my budget is in the $1000 range.

My mom has the Rebel XT. While it's a fine camera, I noticed that when you put a big piece of glass in front of it, you can actually feel the body flex under the weight. My 30D is a much stronger platform for big lenses and gives you more surface to hold onto. I know that's kind of a weird criteria to judge a camera, but it just feels better in my hands. My mom will probably never use anything other than the kit lens, so the XT is fine for her. But I don't think I would have been happy with it in the long term.

Comment

I am in the same boat as you Justthrowit, and want to take some better pictures of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        My mom has the Rebel XT. While it's a fine camera, I noticed that when you put a big piece of glass in front of it, you can actually feel the body flex under the weight. My 30D is a much stronger platform for big lenses and gives you more surface to hold onto. I know that's kind of a weird criteria to judge a camera, but it just feels better in my hands. My mom will probably never use anything other than the kit lens, so the XT is fine for her. But I don't think I would have been happy with it in the long term.

This is EXACTLY the type of feedback I'm looking for. With everything you've said, I'd probably pass on the XT, because I do eventually want to work my way up to bigger and better on the lens side. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks Snake! TBH rules!

J

Comment

The XSi/18-55 IS is a good combo. It keeps you out of the $1,500-$2,000 range. Unless you think you are going to get more serious about the photography, I think you'd be very happy with this set up. And you can always upgrade later and keep this one as your backup. Also, you can buy EF mount lenses for this camera and use them on a full frame body in the future. I have the XTi/18-55 non-IS combo and it has been a good camera, but the IS version of that lens is supposed to be quite an improvement on that kit lens. Good luck.

Comment

Canon D40

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
              The XSi/18-55 IS is a good combo. It keeps you out of the $1,500-$2,000 range. Unless you think you are going to get more serious about the photography, I think you'd be very happy with this set up. And you can always upgrade later and keep this one as your backup. Also, you can buy EF mount lenses for this camera and use them on a full frame body in the future. I have the XTi/18-55 non-IS combo and it has been a good camera, but the IS version of that lens is supposed to be quite an improvement on that kit lens. Good luck.
              Any chance you could explain in more depth? What if I did get more serious? Couldn't I just upgrade the lens and have the camera be more versatile just be doing that? What would the XSi not be able to do that a higher end (more expensive) camera could?

J

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                Canon D40
                From what I've read, the D40 may be out of my budget when I couple it with a new lens.

Comment

Olympus user myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                    Olympus user myself.
                    Thanks Bill. This one certainly makes me raise an eyebrow. Why did you choose the Olympus over other cameras that are available? Obviously price is a big positive. How do you like the Olympus compared others out there? What are the pros and cons of this particular piece of equipment?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really wanting to get into this. I'm torn. Do I buy a nicer camera than I need and risk spending the extra money and not liking it as much as I think. Or, do I spend less money and risk really getting into it and being underarmed and having to make additional investment afterwards.

One more thing as it relate to lenses:

This Olympus kit comes with two lenses.

14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens
                    and
                    40-150mm F4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens

What is the benefit of either of these lenses? When would you want to use one over the other?

J
                    Last edited by justhrowit; 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Well...what I was referring to was going to a full frame type camera. Bigger sensor, body size, Frames/second, higher-bit processors, higher Megapixels, etc. The XSi will do **** near anything you'll ever want. And it is true that upgrading glass is the way to go to get more out of whatever camera you have. I have an XTi and I don't see upgrading anytime soon. Saving up the bills for better glass.

Comment

Well...what I was referring to was going to a full frame type camera. Bigger sensor, body size, Frames/second, higher-bit processors, higher Megapixels, etc. The XSi will do **** near anything you'll ever want. And it is true that upgrading glass is the way to go to get more out of whatever camera you have. I have an XTi and I don't see upgrading anytime soon. Saving up the bills for better glass.
                        Thank you! This is more good feedback for me to have. I appreciate it.

J

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                          Thanks Bill. This one certainly makes me raise an eyebrow. Why did you choose the Olympus over other cameras that are available? Obviously price is a big positive. How do you like the Olympus compared others out there? What are the pros and cons of this particular piece of equipment?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really wanting to get into this. I'm torn. Do I buy a nicer camera than I need and risk spending the extra money and not liking it as much as I think. Or, do I spend less money and risk really getting into it and being underarmed and having to make additional investment afterwards.

One more thing as it relate to lenses:

This Olympus kit comes with two lenses.

14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens
                          and
                          40-150mm F4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens

What is the benefit of either of these lenses? When would you want to use one over the other?

J

What they are doing with this kit is giving you coverage from very wide angle (14MM) to telephoto (150MM). Neither of these lenses will be GREAT in low-light situations, but would be fine under normal daylight conditions. If the price is right, they might be worth it for the beginner.

Comment

What they are doing with this kit is giving you coverage from very wide angle (14MM) to telephoto (150MM). Neither of these lenses will be GREAT in low-light situations, but would be fine under normal daylight conditions. If the price is right, they might be worth it for the beginner.

What would a better lens be for use in low light?

Comment

If you don't mind buying used, KEH (www.keh.com) will really help you stretch your money. I've bought all kinds of stuff from them and have never had any trouble with the used equipment I've bought.

In fact, all of my current gear (which is a bunch) came from there with the exception of my cameras and one lens.

With that said, you could probably pick up a camera and a couple of lenses for not much more than what a new camera would cost.

Thanks,

Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X