Shooting birds in flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting birds in flight?

For all who have attempted to shoot birds in flight, I have a question...What type of arrow setup would be the best to shoot a duck with? I started shooting a longbow in January and I'm completely obsessed with it and want to shoot a duck with it this coming season, in the air. Thank you for any help y'all can give me.

Fluflu arrows with a broadhead. I try to play with the line of speed and distance.Depending on how far you can let you arrow go, cut pieces of the feathers off the top to make them banana shaped. I have attempted plenty only have two birds down lol. I was on a riverbank with a field on the opposite end of the river. I didn't want my arrows to fling more than 80 or 90 yards WHEN not if I missed.

Comment

My husband shot a pheasant in flight Feb 2012 and used a flu-flu with a plain old field tip.
      They were using a dog to retrieve the birds so broadheads would not be advised, in order to protect the dog.

Comment

If you do not have dogs, I would go with the flu-flu and broadhead. If you will be usinfg dogs, go with flu-flu and field point. You can also try the large snaro bird point, but personally I would prefer to use a broadhead if I could.

I have shot 2 pheasants in the air. I have been trying for the last two seasons to get a dove out of the air and have yet to succeed. I am getting REAL close and will make it happen one of these days.

Bisch

Comment

Thank you for your replies...I will post up some pics if I get a bird down this fall!! Until then I'll be burnin up the sky practicing!!

Comment

Tim wells is the master of shooting dove out of the sky but uses a compound bow but shoots with out sights IMO one of the best bow hunters in the world he makes some amazing shots

Comment

I saw a kid on one of the traditional sites that used flu flu arrows and zwicky Kondor tips. They are just really big judo tips. He hunted ducks and said just about anywhere he hit them, it took them down.

Comment

Last edited by sweldo73; 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

After seeing what a small game head does to squirrels and such, I would think they would take down a duck pretty easy - am I wrong about that?

Comment

I'm amazed at people who shoot birds out of the air. They must lose a lot of arrows, though. I'm mean arrows go a long way when you shoot up at an angle. When I was a kid, I used to shoot at buzzards and vultures when they'd fly overhead, but I was shooting almost straight up in a field and didn't really have to worry about losing arrows.

Comment

I shot a greater Canadian goose ,in Saskatchuwan out of the air using flu flu and a Broadhead. It took several attempts but finally got it. It was tough...I felt like Barney fife. I had 1 shot and then my buddies would unload with the black cloud 3 1/2" BBs.....I was shooting out of a layout blind. All closed up..widow on my chest with arrow pointed up and out...lots of fun and even tho the guide was disturbed by the whole process he put a picture on his website..lol

Comment

Working...
                      X