Couple more newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple more newbie questions

Just wondering if a recurve stringer is ok to use on a longbow also? I see they make a longbow stringer but not sure if thats just to make people buy another one?

Also, how long do you guys keep your bows strung up? A day or two if going to be used or unstring it every time or everyday after using it?

Sorry for all the questions boys, i just dont wanna mess up anything.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

You can use either stringer as long as the cup fits over your lower tip.
    I was always told if you shoot it every 3-4 days you can leave it strung and hung up. Just don't lean it up ur store it flat and strung. Or strung in a hot pickup all day. Or....

Comment

I've read on here that it's OK to keep modern bows laminated with fiberglass strung as long as they're not kept strung in the heat, such as in the garage, an upstairs attic or inside a car. For selfbows, I've read that they should always be unstrung when not in use.

Comment

The only time I unstring my recurve or longbows is when I make a new string for them.

Comment

You can use the same stringer for both but it is only really necessary for the recurve. Because of the wider limbs you risk twisting them if you don't use the stringer. A longbow can be strung by hand - it's quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Some guys just feel better unstringing their bows before putting them on the rack after shooting. That's what I did for a while until I heard the guy who built my bow - Bob Sarrels - say it would not hurt anything to leave it strung. I shoot at least every other day and the only time I unstring is if I need to mess with brace height.

Comment

No need to unstring as long as the bow is in a controlled environment (Exception to rule: ALWAYS UNSTRING A SELFBOW WHEN NOT IN USE). I unstring mine after every time I shoot. My bow travels everywhere with me so it is in a vehicle a lot.

Bisch

Comment

Sounds good amigos!! Thanks for the info.

As for storing your bows? What kind of rack or hangers are you guys using?

I read its not good to store them standing up right. Is this correct?

Im gonna build me a trad rack soon as i can move around good with my knee but for now i just want to make sure i dont damage them.

Again, thanks for answering all the newbie questions.

Ray

Comment

During the cool months I keep mine hung horizontally on a rack in the garage. During the summer I keep it in the house, hanging from a padded hook on a closet rod. And you are right, don't store it by leaning it up against a wall.

Comment

I leave my bows strung up. Only time I take the string off is when I need a new one or when traveling. Some of my bows have been strung up for years.
                  I store my bows hanging vertically on the wall.
                  I use a stringer when changing strings on my recurves but hardly ever use it on my longbows.
                  I know I just repeated what everyone else said. Great minds think alike!

Comment

Working...
                  X