Investing in a pair of boots, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing in a pair of boots, opinions?

If all the crap I have for chasing deer, I have yet to purchase a pair of good boots.

I am undecided as to what I want or need. I have some severe bad weather boots I don't use, but I need a pair of boots to handle the other 95% of the time.

I don't know weather to go with a pair of goo rubber boots, or more traditional like the Danner Promghorns.

I'm not hunting in the mountains anytime soon, so I need a pair that can handle Texas- from Scouting to crossing small streams, thick mud, filling feeders.ect

Although not terribly important, I would like to look good in them naked.

Pronghorns are nice, but for all purpose I like all leather for better protection from prickly pear. I've worn redwings for years and they have never let me down.

As for the naked thing, you're on your own there.

Comment

Like Ford vs. Chevy, there are a lot of opinions out there. Personally, I've gone with Danner for my hiking boots, my hunting boots (Pronghorns), and my snake boots. The quality is very high, and they fit comfortably out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
        Pronghorns are nice, but for all purpose I like all leather for better protection from prickly pear. I've worn redwings for years and they have never let me down.
        Txarcher makes a good point. Any boot with fabric panels, like the Pronghorn, will not stop cactus thorns as well as leather does. I learned that the hard way in the New Mexico mountains. Thorns that penetrate also damage the Gore lining, so there goes some of the water-proofing of the boot.

Comment

I use my Cablea's rubber boots alot. They really help with scent control but can get hot. For a traditional lace up leather hunting boot, I like my Meindls better than the Danner's they replaced. The cork footbed is GREAT.

Comment

Have you considered a good pair of leather snake boots. I use mine about 90% of the time out on the ranch. I have a pair of Danner Elk Ridge's for when the weather is really cold and nasty out.

Comment

I've got some LaCrosse snake boots that I wouldn't leave home without, waterproof and comfortable.

Comment

I have a pair of redhead snake boots that I didn't like.

Hard to get on and off, took half an hour to lace up, and were hotter than sin. Are all snake boots like that?

Comment

I have a set of Pronghorns and several different styles of snake boots. I would stay with snake boots if most of your hunting is in Texas, but the Danner Pronghorns are great boots and are super comfortable.

Comment

I love my Pronghorns but never where them unless out West or for some other odd reason. I wear rubber boots of all brands (3 pair) 90% of the time! Snake boots about 8% of the time and my Danner Pronghorns rarely!

Comment

I actually love my redhead snake boots. Haven't met a ton of people who do, but they fit me well and are pretty comfortable with plenty of support. They are waterproof too. Hunted 2 seasons in them so far with no complaints. Got my wife a pair and she hates them.

Comment

The cheap Chinese made danner pronghorns will probably fill your needs quite well.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Hi Keegan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                            Hi Keegan

Comment

Wouldn't trade my ariats in for anything.... They are very comfortable to work In and I don't mind beating them up as I still have a dress pair....

And I haven't put them on naked but
                              I can only imagine I would look pretty awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X